|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the professor cite as a precursor to Gilead?
(b) The USSR.
(c) The USA.
2. How old is Offred?
3. What does Ofglen ask Offred in Chapter 10?
(a) Do you believe in God?
(b) What is your real name?
(c) Don’t you hate this?
(d) Do you think God listens to the Soul Scrolls?
4. What is another role that Nick had, according to Chapter 15?
(a) He was a Guardian.
(b) He was an Eye.
(c) He was an officer.
(d) He was a soldier.
5. What is the worst thing that could have happened to Offred?
(a) She had to see her daughter die.
(b) She had to now marry a Commander.
(c) She was forced to go back to being a handmaiden.
(d) She was executed or sent to the colonies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is strange about the shop Loaves and Fishes?
2. Who does Offred see out of her window in Chapter 11?
3. What is the name of the organization that tried to help Moira escape?
4. What does the Commander offer to Offred in Chapter 10?
5. What is the big thing that Serena Joy offers Offred in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might Offred expect after being taken?
2. Why does Serena Joy think that Offred ‘might as well’ sleep with Nick?
3. How does the professor describe Nick’s role?
4. What is the condition that Nick sets forth for Offred in Chapter 13?
5. In Chapter 10, what becomes different about Offred’s relationship to Luke, after the changes?
6. How does Offred characterize the spring, particularly May?
7. How do women come to work at Jezebel’s?
8. What has happened to former nuns?
9. Why is Nick becoming a significant character by Chapter 11?
10. Describe Janine’s behavior at the Salvaging.
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)