|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose choice was it that the Handmaids could not use lotion?
(a) The Wives.
(b) The government.
(c) The men.
(d) Their own.
2. How long was Offred at the center before Moira arrived?
(a) One week.
(b) Three years.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) One year.
3. Why do the women say that Janine was raped?
(a) To purify herself.
(b) To teach her a lesson.
(c) To punish her attackers.
(d) Bad luck.
4. What surrounded the center?
(a) A barbed-wire fence.
(b) Hundreds of guards.
(c) A forest.
(d) An electric fence.
5. What did the Commander’s wife used to be?
(a) A preacher.
(b) A televangelist.
(c) A movie star.
(d) A TV star.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the baby in Chapter 8 called?
2. What color is the Commander’s hair?
3. What does the narrator compare “date rape” to?
4. What did the narrator do as a little girl?
5. What do the women in the center whisper to each other at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fate has Janine avoided by having the baby?
2. In what context does Offred see an Econowife?
3. Why does Offred have to be especially careful on this assignment, according to Chapter 2?
4. What is the purpose of the exercises that Offred does?
5. Describe the narrator’s mother as depicted in Chapter 3.
6. How is Offred’s role different from that of the Commander’s Wife?
7. What happened to Serena Joy that was traumatic in her earlier life?
8. In Chapter 4, What does the message in Offred’s room say?
9. What is wrong with how Offred kisses the Commander, in his view?
10. In Chapter 7, where does Offred think that Luke really is?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)