|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is special about the day in Chapter 4?
(a) It is the first of May.
(b) It is Offred’s birthday.
(c) It is the ceremony day.
(d) It is bath day.
2. Who did Aunt Lydia question about Moira in Chapter 8?
(a) All of the girls.
3. How old was Offred’s mother when she had the baby?
4. Where is the Commander’s wife’s “territory”?
(a) The garden.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The living room.
(d) The bedroom.
5. What does the narrator compare “date rape” to?
(a) A cocktail.
(d) A fancy gourmet dish.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose fault do the women say Janine’s rape was?
2. Who is pregnant in Chapter 2?
3. What is the purpose of Offred's walk in Chapter 2?
4. What are the Japanese doing in the city in Chapter 2?
5. In Chapter 3, what does the narrator think might have happened to her daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why don’t the Aunts have guns?
2. Why does Offred have to be especially careful on this assignment, according to Chapter 2?
3. What is the role of the Marthas?
4. How is Offred’s role different from that of the Commander’s Wife?
5. If Luke is dead in Chapter 7, what happened to him?
6. If Luke is free in Chapter 7, what happened to him?
7. Why is the narrator in the setting at the opening of the novel?
8. What is the purpose of the exercises that Offred does?
9. What is carved on Offred’s desk at the center? Why is this significant?
10. Why did Offred and the other women take naps at the center?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)