|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What piece of dinnerware does Offred not get in Chapter 12?
(a) A knife.
(b) A spoon.
(c) A fork.
(d) A plate.
2. What tone does Offred read into the message on her wall in Chapter 9?
3. What of Serena Joy’s does Offred covet?
(a) Her perfume.
(b) Her gardening shears.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her paintings.
4. How does Serena Joy know what Offred did with the Commander?
(a) She sees lipstick on her cape.
(b) She went to Jezebel’s.
(c) She asked the Marthas.
(d) She heard rumors.
5. What is Moira dressed as in Chapter 12?
(a) A bunny.
(b) A bird.
(c) A nurse.
(d) A cat.
6. What time does Offred return home from Jezebel’s in Chapter 13?
(a) Before dark.
(b) Two in the morning.
(c) Early in the morning.
7. What did Luke finally do with the cat?
(a) Take it with them.
(b) Kill it.
(c) Forget it.
(d) Give it away.
8. What does the Latin phrase really mean?
(a) Keep it up.
(b) My name is Alma.
(c) One day, you’ll be free.
(d) Don’t let the bastards get you down.
9. According to Chapter 15, in which state was Offred most likely located?
(b) Rhode Island.
(c) New York.
10. What is the new order for women supposed to inspire, according to the Aunts?
11. What does the professor cite as a precursor to Gilead?
(b) The USA.
(d) The USSR.
12. What was the underground’s nickname?
(a) The Bangor Express.
(b) The Underground Frailroad.
(c) The Freedom Trail.
(d) The Woman’s Freeway.
13. According to the professor, why was Gilead able to succeed?
(a) By dominating women.
(b) Through the use of terror.
(c) By taking total control.
(d) By incorporating elements of other societies.
14. To what mythical figure does the professor compare Offred?
15. What does Offred remember most about the documentary?
(a) The mistress’s make-up.
(b) The mistress’s words.
(c) The mistress’s hair.
(d) The mistress’s clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were Handmaids’ names formed in Gilead?
2. What was Offred’s job before?
3. According to Chapter 15, in which city was Offred most likely located?
4. What is the small thing that Serena Joy offers Offred in Chapter 12?
5. Where does Offred go after seeing the Commander in Chapter 8?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)