|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Husain have a regency when he becomes king of Jordan?
2. How old is Ishmael when he begins to teach at Wadi Bakkah School?
3. When trying to return to Tabah, why can't Ibrahim use the roads to Jericho?
4. In Part 5, Chapter 1, who takes care of Ishmael while his father is away?
5. Where does Ishmael want to sell the items he found in the cave?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mudhil help Ishmael secure a job?
2. What does Maan discuss at the West Bank Refugee Convention?
3. What happens to Ishmael when he is with the Sirhan Bedouin?
4. What happens as everyone leaves the West Bank Refugee Convention?
5. What is the home of Hamdi Othman and his wife like?
6. What is the Wadi Bakkah School like?
7. How does Ibrahim change after Omar leaves?
8. What are the refugee camps like in Jericho?
9. While in Jericho, how does Ibrahim protect his family at night?
10. How does Gideon feel about letting the Egyptians keep Gaza?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the role of outside countries on Palestine and the characters of this novel. Write about what the countries actually do, how they view the region, how the region views them, and what the impact is.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Gideon is an unsung hero of this novel. In what ways is Gideon's role given full credit? In what ways is he overlooked? Why was this done?
Essay Topic 3
How does Dr. Mudhil impact the relationship between Ishmael and the world around him? How would you characterize, or describe, Mudhil's role in this novel?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)