|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ursula kill a Persian guest before Ibrahim kills Kabir?
2. What does Abdullah do when Jordan takes over the West Bank?
3. Why does Ibrahim go to the Latrun rooftop?
4. When Kabir meets with Rahman to discuss the Zurich conference, who does Kabir feel can be bribed?
5. When does Ibrahim tell Ishmael they must leave Jericho for Tabah?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disagreement does Jamil have with his father in Part 4, Chapters 6-10?
2. What makes Ishmael jealous of Sabri in Part 3, Chapter 5?
3. Why does Ibrahim tell Ishmael he may have to kill Sabri?
4. How does Hamdi convince Nada to stay with him as his lover?
5. How does Ibrahim change after Omar leaves?
6. What does Mayor Bakshir think about Palestine's government?
7. While in Jericho, how does Ibrahim protect his family at night?
8. What happens after the death of Abdullah?
9. How does Mudhil help Ishmael secure a job?
10. What does Maan discuss at the West Bank Refugee Convention?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Gideon is an unsung hero of this novel. In what ways is Gideon's role given full credit? In what ways is he overlooked? Why was this done?
Essay Topic 2
Research the history of Palestine during this time. How does this novel remain true to history? Where does the novel diverge? Why do you think this happens?
Essay Topic 3
How is the United Nations a character in this novel? How does the United Nations drive the plot and motivate the characters? Why does the author include the United Nations in this way in his novel?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)