|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 6, what does Ibrahim come to realize about Tabah?
2. Why does Husain have a regency when he becomes king of Jordan?
3. Who does Ibrahim send away so he won't have to become part of the Jordanian army?
4. Why is Ishmael able to get a job with the Iraqi army?
5. In Part 5, Chapter 1, who takes care of Ishmael while his father is away?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gideon feel about letting the Egyptians keep Gaza?
2. What disagreement does Jamil have with his father in Part 4, Chapters 6-10?
3. How does Mudhil help Ishmael secure a job?
4. How does Hamdi convince Nada to stay with him as his lover?
5. How do Ibrahim and Ishmael plan to contact Gideon in Part 4, Chapters 1-5?
6. What is the Jericho Project?
7. What makes Ishmael jealous of Sabri in Part 3, Chapter 5?
8. How does Mudhil help Ibrahim find Gideon?
9. What does Maan discuss at the West Bank Refugee Convention?
10. What role does Mudhil give Ibrahim in an upcoming conference in Part 4, Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Gideon is an unsung hero of this novel. In what ways is Gideon's role given full credit? In what ways is he overlooked? Why was this done?
Essay Topic 2
Ishmael had a complicated relationship with his father. Analyze the ways that these characters interacted with each other. What did the relationship mean to each party? What is significant about the way their relationship ended?
Essay Topic 3
Choose three of the leaders from this novel and compare and contrast them. Consider the way they rule their people, their political beliefs, and their successes/failures.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)