|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nada describe the woman she works for?
2. How much money does Ibrahim get for selling his truck?
3. Where does Gamal Abdel Nasser have a successful coup?
4. What religion does Charles Maan practice?
5. Why does Ibrahim go to the Latrun rooftop?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ibrahim change after Omar leaves?
2. What are the refugee camps like in Jericho?
3. In Part 3, Chapters 6-10, what does Ibrahim decide about Tabah?
4. What is the home of Hamdi Othman and his wife like?
5. What role does Mudhil give Ibrahim in an upcoming conference in Part 4, Chapter 5?
6. While in Jericho, how does Ibrahim protect his family at night?
7. What makes Ishmael jealous of Sabri in Part 3, Chapter 5?
8. How does Hamdi convince Nada to stay with him as his lover?
9. What is the Wadi Bakkah School like?
10. What does Mayor Bakshir think about Palestine's government?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For much of this novel, Ibrahim is determined to return to Tabah. Discuss what the return to Tabah represents to Ibrahim and his village. Why was the dream abandoned?
Essay Topic 2
How does Dr. Mudhil impact the relationship between Ishmael and the world around him? How would you characterize, or describe, Mudhil's role in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
How are Jews depicted in this novel? Take a close look at the rhetoric and language used when Jews are discussed. What is the purpose of this?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)