|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Ibrahim and his family find refuge in Tulkarm?
2. Where is the refugee camp Ibrahim's former villager's want Ibrahim to go to?
3. Who does Ibrahim send away so he won't have to become part of the Jordanian army?
4. What happens shortly after the Arabs capture the Jewish Quarter of Jerusalem?
5. Who says, "The Palestinian people have never ruled themselves, nor ever attempted to rule themselves"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Ibrahim and Ishmael plan to contact Gideon in Part 4, Chapters 1-5?
2. How does Ibrahim change after Omar leaves?
3. Why does Ibrahim tell Ishmael he may have to kill Sabri?
4. What is the Wadi Bakkah School like?
5. What is the Jericho Project?
6. How does Hamdi convince Nada to stay with him as his lover?
7. Why does Prince Ali Rahman call Kabir in Zurich?
8. How does Gideon feel about letting the Egyptians keep Gaza?
9. What does Ibrahim discuss at the West Bank Refugee Convention?
10. How does Mudhil help Ibrahim make it to the Zurich conference?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What type of leader is Ibrahim? Support your opinion using detailed examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
How is the United Nations a character in this novel? How does the United Nations drive the plot and motivate the characters? Why does the author include the United Nations in this way in his novel?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the Jericho Project. What were the purposes of the project and why did it fail? What does this project represent to this region of the Middle East?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)