|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nada become involved with while staying with Hamdi Othman?
2. In Part 5, Chapter 1, what makes Ishmael begin to accept reality?
3. When does Ibrahim tell Ishmael they must leave Jericho for Tabah?
4. Who is Abu Rommel?
5. Why is Bakshir assassinated?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapters 6-10, what does Ibrahim decide about Tabah?
2. Why does Ursula seek revenge against Kabir?
3. How does Ibrahim change after Omar leaves?
4. What does Maan discuss at the West Bank Refugee Convention?
5. What role does Mudhil give Ibrahim in an upcoming conference in Part 4, Chapter 5?
6. What happens after the death of Abdullah?
7. After leaving Tabah, why does Ibrahim refuse to be called a refugee?
8. What are the refugee camps like in Jericho?
9. What does Ibrahim discuss with the mayor of Nablus?
10. How do Ibrahim and Ishmael plan to contact Gideon in Part 4, Chapters 1-5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the United Nations a character in this novel? How does the United Nations drive the plot and motivate the characters? Why does the author include the United Nations in this way in his novel?
Essay Topic 2
What type of leader is Ibrahim? Support your opinion using detailed examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the role of outside countries on Palestine and the characters of this novel. Write about what the countries actually do, how they view the region, how the region views them, and what the impact is.
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)