|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "The Palestinian people have never ruled themselves, nor ever attempted to rule themselves"?
2. What does Sabri want to find in Gaza?
3. What does Zyyad tell Ibrahim in Part 4, Chapter 11 about Palestinian rights?
4. What does Abdullah do when Jordan takes over the West Bank?
5. How does Ishmael feel about King Abdullah in Part 5, Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Ishmael when he is with the Sirhan Bedouin?
2. How does Mudhil help Ishmael secure a job?
3. How does Ibrahim change after Omar leaves?
4. What does Ibrahim discuss at the West Bank Refugee Convention?
5. While in Jericho, how does Ibrahim protect his family at night?
6. What does Ibrahim discuss with the mayor of Nablus?
7. What is the lie surrounding Jamil's death?
8. How does Mudhil help Ibrahim make it to the Zurich conference?
9. How do Ibrahim and Ishmael plan to contact Gideon in Part 4, Chapters 1-5?
10. What is the Jericho Project?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For much of this novel, Ibrahim is determined to return to Tabah. Discuss what the return to Tabah represents to Ibrahim and his village. Why was the dream abandoned?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Gideon is an unsung hero of this novel. In what ways is Gideon's role given full credit? In what ways is he overlooked? Why was this done?
Essay Topic 3
Nada defies the role her father wants her to have, and therefore she shames the family and must die. Explain what Nada represents in this novel and how she changes throughout the course of the book.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)