|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While staying in the refugee camp in Jericho, why does Ibrahim go into town every day?
2. What is Nuri Mudhil a professor of?
3. When does Ibrahim tell Ishmael they must leave Jericho for Tabah?
4. How does Ibrahim manage to arrange a meeting with the mayor of Nablus?
5. When Kabir meets with Rahman to discuss the Zurich conference, who does Kabir feel can be bribed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Ibrahim and Ishmael plan to contact Gideon in Part 4, Chapters 1-5?
2. What is the Wadi Bakkah School like?
3. How does Mudhil help Ishmael secure a job?
4. What role does Mudhil give Ibrahim in an upcoming conference in Part 4, Chapter 5?
5. What disagreement does Jamil have with his father in Part 4, Chapters 6-10?
6. What are the refugee camps like in Jericho?
7. Why does Ursula seek revenge against Kabir?
8. Why does Prince Ali Rahman call Kabir in Zurich?
9. In Part 3, Chapters 6-10, what does Ibrahim decide about Tabah?
10. What does Maan discuss at the West Bank Refugee Convention?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two of the murders that happened in this novel and compare and contrast them. Consider the motives, the impact, and the symbolism of each murder.
Essay Topic 2
For much of this novel, Ibrahim is determined to return to Tabah. Discuss what the return to Tabah represents to Ibrahim and his village. Why was the dream abandoned?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of education throughout this novel? Examine the different schools that are mentioned in the book. How do their goals vary? What type of education is being provided and why?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)