|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ishmael feel knowing that Jamil is considered to be a martyr?
2. How old is Ishmael when he begins to teach at Wadi Bakkah School?
3. Who is murdered in July 1951?
4. Who works on Ibrahim's truck whenever it breaks down on his way to Jericho?
5. What work does Ibrahim do in Nablus?
Essay Topic 1
Explore the symbolism of Ibrahim's dagger. Consider how Ibrahim came to own it and all the action it sees throughout the novel. What does the dagger represent?
Essay Topic 2
Arab tradition guides the lives of several characters in this novel. Choose three elements of Arab tradition and explain how they impact the characters in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Gideon is an unsung hero of this novel. In what ways is Gideon's role given full credit? In what ways is he overlooked? Why was this done?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)