|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sabri want to find in Gaza?
2. Who is the Colonel of the Arab Legion?
3. How long will an analysis of Ibrahim's artifact from the cave take?
4. What is the fedayeen?
5. What happens shortly after the Arabs capture the Jewish Quarter of Jerusalem?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after the death of Abdullah?
2. What are the refugee camps like in Jericho?
3. How does Ibrahim change after Omar leaves?
4. How does Mudhil help Ishmael secure a job?
5. How do Ibrahim and Ishmael plan to contact Gideon in Part 4, Chapters 1-5?
6. What makes Ishmael jealous of Sabri in Part 3, Chapter 5?
7. What is the Jericho Project?
8. How does Mudhil help Ibrahim make it to the Zurich conference?
9. What happens as everyone leaves the West Bank Refugee Convention?
10. How does Gideon feel about letting the Egyptians keep Gaza?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Dr. Mudhil impact the relationship between Ishmael and the world around him? How would you characterize, or describe, Mudhil's role in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Arab tradition guides the lives of several characters in this novel. Choose three elements of Arab tradition and explain how they impact the characters in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Nada defies the role her father wants her to have, and therefore she shames the family and must die. Explain what Nada represents in this novel and how she changes throughout the course of the book.
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)