|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ibrahim begin to call his section of the refugee camp in Jericho?
2. Why does Husain have a regency when he becomes king of Jordan?
3. Who is murdered in July 1951?
4. When Kabir meets with Rahman to discuss the Zurich conference, who does Kabir feel can be bribed?
5. When does the Zurich conference end?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ibrahim discuss at the West Bank Refugee Convention?
2. Why does Ursula seek revenge against Kabir?
3. How does Mudhil help Ibrahim find Gideon?
4. What does Ibrahim discuss with the mayor of Nablus?
5. What disagreement does Jamil have with his father in Part 4, Chapters 6-10?
6. How does Hamdi convince Nada to stay with him as his lover?
7. How does Ibrahim change after Omar leaves?
8. What happens after the death of Abdullah?
9. While in Jericho, how does Ibrahim protect his family at night?
10. Why does Ibrahim tell Ishmael he may have to kill Sabri?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research the history of Palestine during this time. How does this novel remain true to history? Where does the novel diverge? Why do you think this happens?
Essay Topic 2
How is the United Nations a character in this novel? How does the United Nations drive the plot and motivate the characters? Why does the author include the United Nations in this way in his novel?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the role of outside countries on Palestine and the characters of this novel. Write about what the countries actually do, how they view the region, how the region views them, and what the impact is.
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)