|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Zyyad want control of the West Bank?
2. What does Abdullah do when Jordan takes over the West Bank?
3. What job does Ibrahim find for Nada with the United Nations in Amman?
4. Where does Gamal Abdel Nasser have a successful coup?
5. How does Ishmael feel about King Abdullah in Part 5, Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disagreement does Jamil have with his father in Part 4, Chapters 6-10?
2. What is the home of Hamdi Othman and his wife like?
3. How does Mudhil help Ishmael secure a job?
4. What makes Ishmael jealous of Sabri in Part 3, Chapter 5?
5. In Part 3, Chapters 6-10, what does Ibrahim decide about Tabah?
6. How does Ibrahim change after Omar leaves?
7. What is the Jericho Project?
8. What does Mayor Bakshir think about Palestine's government?
9. What role does Mudhil give Ibrahim in an upcoming conference in Part 4, Chapter 5?
10. What is the Wadi Bakkah School like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the impact of being migrant? Explore the migrant tribes and the refugees and examine the affect a migratory life has on the people and the places they visit. How is this important to the overall Arab condition?
Essay Topic 2
Research the history of Palestine during this time. How does this novel remain true to history? Where does the novel diverge? Why do you think this happens?
Essay Topic 3
For much of this novel, Ibrahim is determined to return to Tabah. Discuss what the return to Tabah represents to Ibrahim and his village. Why was the dream abandoned?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)