|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ishmael feel knowing that Jamil is considered to be a martyr?
2. What does Sabri want to find in Gaza?
3. How does Ursula kill a Persian guest before Ibrahim kills Kabir?
4. After the war, what does Gideon learn when he goes to Tel Aviv to meet with Ben-Gurion?
5. What does Ibrahim use to build a house at the Jericho refugee camp?
Essay Topic 1
How is the United Nations a character in this novel? How does the United Nations drive the plot and motivate the characters? Why does the author include the United Nations in this way in his novel?
Essay Topic 2
Ishmael had a complicated relationship with his father. Analyze the ways that these characters interacted with each other. What did the relationship mean to each party? What is significant about the way their relationship ended?
Essay Topic 3
Research the history of Palestine during this time. How does this novel remain true to history? Where does the novel diverge? Why do you think this happens?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)