|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ibrahim have Ishmael do at the Great Democratic Unity Conference?
2. Who says, "The Palestinian people have never ruled themselves, nor ever attempted to rule themselves"?
3. What will happen if the Jews attack the Egyptians?
4. Where is the Great Democratic Unity Conference?
5. How is Sabri able to support his family in Gaza?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after the death of Abdullah?
2. What is the home of Hamdi Othman and his wife like?
3. What is the lie surrounding Jamil's death?
4. How does Hamdi convince Nada to stay with him as his lover?
5. After leaving Tabah, why does Ibrahim refuse to be called a refugee?
6. How does Mudhil help Ibrahim make it to the Zurich conference?
7. How does Mudhil help Ishmael secure a job?
8. Why does Ibrahim tell Ishmael he may have to kill Sabri?
9. What makes Ishmael jealous of Sabri in Part 3, Chapter 5?
10. What happens as everyone leaves the West Bank Refugee Convention?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What type of leader is Ibrahim? Support your opinion using detailed examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the Jericho Project. What were the purposes of the project and why did it fail? What does this project represent to this region of the Middle East?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the symbolism of Ibrahim's dagger. Consider how Ibrahim came to own it and all the action it sees throughout the novel. What does the dagger represent?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)