|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ibrahim manage to arrange a meeting with the mayor of Nablus?
2. How does Ursula kill a Persian guest before Ibrahim kills Kabir?
3. Why does Ibrahim reject all offers of marriage for Nada?
4. What does Ibrahim use to build a house at the Jericho refugee camp?
5. While at the refugee camp in Jericho, who is the only member of Ibrahim's group that is working?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maan discuss at the West Bank Refugee Convention?
2. How does Hamdi convince Nada to stay with him as his lover?
3. How does Mudhil help Ibrahim find Gideon?
4. What happens to Ishmael when he is with the Sirhan Bedouin?
5. Why does Ursula seek revenge against Kabir?
6. What is the Wadi Bakkah School like?
7. What is the Jericho Project?
8. What happens as everyone leaves the West Bank Refugee Convention?
9. What does Mayor Bakshir think about Palestine's government?
10. How does Ibrahim change after Omar leaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Dr. Mudhil impact the relationship between Ishmael and the world around him? How would you characterize, or describe, Mudhil's role in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
For much of this novel, Ibrahim is determined to return to Tabah. Discuss what the return to Tabah represents to Ibrahim and his village. Why was the dream abandoned?
Essay Topic 3
Nada defies the role her father wants her to have, and therefore she shames the family and must die. Explain what Nada represents in this novel and how she changes throughout the course of the book.
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)