|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kaukji tell Ibrahim he must take his people and their tribes?
2. Why is Ibrahim nervous about attacking the Jews when they first arrive?
3. Where does Farouk go to make marriage arrangements between Ibrahim and Ramiza?
4. What does Ibrahim do to the perimeter of his town when the riots and attacks begin to reach the valley of Avalon?
5. What do the Mufti do to cause Arabs to attack the Jewish Quarter?
Short Essay Questions
1. As a child, what does Ishmael think about his religion?
2. What surprises the Arabs when they attack the Jews for the first time?
3. What do Ibrahim and Gideon discuss when they meet in Part 2, Chapter 7?
4. What is Operation Nachshon?
5. How does Ibrahim's father pass on power before he dies?
6. In Chapter 16, what do Sheik Azziz and Ibrahim discuss during their trip?
7. How do the Mufti increase Arab violence toward Jews?
8. What does Ibrahim do to try to secure safe passage for his villagers to Beruit.
9. What happens when Mercedes arrives in Tabah on Christmas day?
10. Why does Ibrahim call Gideon in Part 2, Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Dr. Mudhil impact the relationship between Ishmael and the world around him? How would you characterize, or describe, Mudhil's role in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is the purpose of education throughout this novel? Examine the different schools that are mentioned in the book. How do their goals vary? What type of education is being provided and why?
Essay Topic 3
How is the United Nations a character in this novel? How does the United Nations drive the plot and motivate the characters? Why does the author include the United Nations in this way in his novel?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)