|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ibrahim feel about the unity described by Kaukji in Part 2, Chapter 6?
2. What group does Mr. Salmi belong to?
3. Why is Ramiza treated poorly by the people of Tabah?
4. What is the name of Kaukji's rebel group?
5. What subject does Mr. Salmi especially encourage Ishmael in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the United Nations meeting on November 29, 1947?
2. As a child, what is Ishmael's relationship with the Jews like?
3. What is Ishmael's childhood like?
4. When Gideon and Foote meet in a Jerusalem restaurant to discuss the events in Tabah that worry them, what do they focus on?
5. How do the Mufti increase Arab violence toward Jews?
6. What happens after an Arab attacked a woman in a kibbutz in 1925?
7. In Chapter 16, what do Sheik Azziz and Ibrahim discuss during their trip?
8. What happens when Ibrahim refuses to give money or men to the Mufti and the Arab Higher Committee?
9. Why does Ibrahim call Gideon in Part 2, Chapter 11?
10. What does Ibrahim do to try to secure safe passage for his villagers to Beruit.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three of the leaders from this novel and compare and contrast them. Consider the way they rule their people, their political beliefs, and their successes/failures.
Essay Topic 2
How are Jews depicted in this novel? Take a close look at the rhetoric and language used when Jews are discussed. What is the purpose of this?
Essay Topic 3
What type of leader is Ibrahim? Support your opinion using detailed examples from the text.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)