|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does kibbutz of Shemesh propose to Ibn Yussuf?
2. Why does Heuseinni have to move around the Middle East so much?
3. Why are the Tabah villagers surrounded by Jihad soldiers when they spend the night in a field in Ramle?
4. Before he agrees to send him to school, what does Ibrahim tell Ishmael his future will be?
5. What does Kabir promise Farouk after the war if he stays in Tabah?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during Gideon's meetings with British Colonel Frederick Brompton?
2. What is the home of Hamdi Othman and his wife like?
3. What happens when Ibrahim refuses to give money or men to the Mufti and the Arab Higher Committee?
4. What happens when Mercedes arrives in Tabah on Christmas day?
5. What is Gideon's role after the news of the Jewish death camps?
6. Why does Ibrahim tell Ishmael he may have to kill Sabri?
7. Why does Ursula seek revenge against Kabir?
8. What role does Fawzi Kabir play in displacing Arabs from Palestine?
9. What happens when Nada returns home for a visit in Part 5?
10. What happens to Ishmael when he is with the Sirhan Bedouin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For much of this novel, Ibrahim is determined to return to Tabah. Discuss what the return to Tabah represents to Ibrahim and his village. Why was the dream abandoned?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the symbolism of Ibrahim's dagger. Consider how Ibrahim came to own it and all the action it sees throughout the novel. What does the dagger represent?
Essay Topic 3
How do the militant and rebel groups shape the development of Palestine and affect the wars in this novel? Who agrees with these actions and who disagrees? Why? What is the commentary the author is giving about these types of groups?
This section contains 1,314 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)