|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year is it when Farouk tells Ibrahim that the Jews are coming?
2. How did the Jews respond to the first offer of a partitioned country?
3. Who sides with the Germans as World War II was starting?
4. When Ibrahim watches the Jewish settlers build terraces for farming, what does he wonder?
5. What does Ibrahim tell Kabir he must have before leaving Tabah?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the United Nations meeting on November 29, 1947?
2. As a child, what is Ishmael's relationship with the Jews like?
3. In Chapter 16, what do Sheik Azziz and Ibrahim discuss during their trip?
4. What have groups of Arab leaders begun doing since the mention of a partition of Palestine?
5. What is Operation Nachshon?
6. What do Ibrahim and Gideon discuss when they meet in Part 2, Chapter 7?
7. What role does Fawzi Kabir play in displacing Arabs from Palestine?
8. As a child, what does Ishmael think about his religion?
9. What advice does Brompton give regarding Plan D?
10. How do the Mufti increase Arab violence toward Jews?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the role of outside countries on Palestine and the characters of this novel. Write about what the countries actually do, how they view the region, how the region views them, and what the impact is.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the symbolism of Ibrahim's dagger. Consider how Ibrahim came to own it and all the action it sees throughout the novel. What does the dagger represent?
Essay Topic 3
Arab tradition guides the lives of several characters in this novel. Choose three elements of Arab tradition and explain how they impact the characters in this novel.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)