|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ibrahim feel about the unity described by Kaukji in Part 2, Chapter 6?
2. What happens a few days before the Arab Higher Committee forms?
3. Why does the Arab well not have any water in it?
4. When Fawzi Kabir dines with Ibrahim in his tents, what does Ibrahim ask for help with?
5. After befriending a Jewish junkyard dealer, what language does Ishmael learn to read?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Ramiza's first born son?
2. In Chapter 16, what do Sheik Azziz and Ibrahim discuss during their trip?
3. What happens when Ibrahim refuses to give money or men to the Mufti and the Arab Higher Committee?
4. How does Ibrahim's father pass on power before he dies?
5. What is Operation Nachshon?
6. What happens when Ibrahim goes to the bank to withdraw money to pay for the boat he needs to go to Gaza?
7. What happens when Mercedes arrives in Tabah on Christmas day?
8. What is Gideon's role after the news of the Jewish death camps?
9. What advice does Brompton give regarding Plan D?
10. What happens to the British installations after the attacks led by Kaukji?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of education throughout this novel? Examine the different schools that are mentioned in the book. How do their goals vary? What type of education is being provided and why?
Essay Topic 2
What is the impact of being migrant? Explore the migrant tribes and the refugees and examine the affect a migratory life has on the people and the places they visit. How is this important to the overall Arab condition?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Gideon is an unsung hero of this novel. In what ways is Gideon's role given full credit? In what ways is he overlooked? Why was this done?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)