|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Gideon, what is Islam used as an excuse for?
2. Why is Ramiza treated poorly by the people of Tabah?
3. Who does Ibrahim make a deal with for safe passage to Beirut for the Tabah villagers?
4. What group does Mr. Salmi belong to?
5. What does Ibrahim tell Kabir he must have before leaving Tabah?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 16, what do Sheik Azziz and Ibrahim discuss during their trip?
2. What is Operation Nachshon?
3. What role does Fawzi Kabir play in displacing Arabs from Palestine?
4. What happens during the United Nations meeting on November 29, 1947?
5. Why does Ibrahim have a feast for Kabir when he arrived in Tabah?
6. What is Ishmael's childhood like?
7. What happens during Gideon's meetings with British Colonel Frederick Brompton?
8. Why does Ibrahim call Gideon in Part 2, Chapter 11?
9. What happens when Ibrahim refuses to give money or men to the Mufti and the Arab Higher Committee?
10. When Gideon and Foote meet in a Jerusalem restaurant to discuss the events in Tabah that worry them, what do they focus on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the Jericho Project. What were the purposes of the project and why did it fail? What does this project represent to this region of the Middle East?
Essay Topic 2
Arab tradition guides the lives of several characters in this novel. Choose three elements of Arab tradition and explain how they impact the characters in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Select two of the conferences held in this novel and compare and contrast them. Who attended? What were the goals? What was actually accomplished?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)