|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrests Gideon in 1946?
2. Who rescues Ibrahim and his family in Part 2, Chapter 16?
3. How do the Mujahedeen raise money for Mufti?
4. What do the Mufti do to cause Arabs to attack the Jewish Quarter?
5. What year is it when Farouk tells Ibrahim that the Jews are coming?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during Gideon's meetings with British Colonel Frederick Brompton?
2. When Gideon and Foote meet in a Jerusalem restaurant to discuss the events in Tabah that worry them, what do they focus on?
3. What happens during the United Nations meeting on November 29, 1947?
4. What role does Fawzi Kabir play in displacing Arabs from Palestine?
5. What do the Jews do to prepare their land for farming?
6. What happens when Bockmann visits the Mufti in Jerusalem in 1937?
7. How does Ibrahim's father pass on power before he dies?
8. What advice does Brompton give regarding Plan D?
9. What does Ibrahim do to try to secure safe passage for his villagers to Beruit.
10. Why does Ibrahim have a feast for Kabir when he arrived in Tabah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the impact of being migrant? Explore the migrant tribes and the refugees and examine the affect a migratory life has on the people and the places they visit. How is this important to the overall Arab condition?
Essay Topic 2
Research the history of Palestine during this time. How does this novel remain true to history? Where does the novel diverge? Why do you think this happens?
Essay Topic 3
Select two of the conferences held in this novel and compare and contrast them. Who attended? What were the goals? What was actually accomplished?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)