|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abdullah want to do with Jerusalem?
2. What does Gideon Asch tell Ibrahim the Jews are planning to do with the land they purchased?
3. What was the retaliation for Deir Yassin following the Irgun attack?
4. How does Ishmael witness the rape of his family members by Kaukji's men?
5. What does Ibrahim do to the perimeter of his town when the riots and attacks begin to reach the valley of Avalon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ibrahim tell Ishmael he may have to kill Sabri?
2. Why does Ursula seek revenge against Kabir?
3. When Gideon and Foote meet in a Jerusalem restaurant to discuss the events in Tabah that worry them, what do they focus on?
4. What do the Jewish people do when they first arrive?
5. What does Ibrahim do to try to secure safe passage for his villagers to Beruit.
6. What happens when Ibrahim goes to the bank to withdraw money to pay for the boat he needs to go to Gaza?
7. What happens as everyone leaves the West Bank Refugee Convention?
8. How does Mudhil help Ishmael secure a job?
9. As a child, what does Ishmael think about his religion?
10. How do the Russians impact the Middle East in Part 5?
Essay Topic 1
Explore the symbolism of Ibrahim's dagger. Consider how Ibrahim came to own it and all the action it sees throughout the novel. What does the dagger represent?
Essay Topic 2
Arab tradition guides the lives of several characters in this novel. Choose three elements of Arab tradition and explain how they impact the characters in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
For much of this novel, Ibrahim is determined to return to Tabah. Discuss what the return to Tabah represents to Ibrahim and his village. Why was the dream abandoned?
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)