|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrests Gideon in 1946?
2. What is the name of the King of Jordan's army?
3. What makes Ishmael curious about the kibbutz?
4. What was the retaliation for Deir Yassin following the Irgun attack?
5. When Ibrahim and Gideon meet in Part 2, Chapter 11, how long has it been since they last met?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Jewish people do when they first arrive?
2. When Gideon and Foote meet in a Jerusalem restaurant to discuss the events in Tabah that worry them, what do they focus on?
3. How does Ibrahim change after Omar leaves?
4. What happens after an Arab attacked a woman in a kibbutz in 1925?
5. Why does Ibrahim have a feast for Kabir when he arrived in Tabah?
6. What does Ibrahim discuss at the West Bank Refugee Convention?
7. How does Mudhil help Ibrahim make it to the Zurich conference?
8. While in Jericho, how does Ibrahim protect his family at night?
9. What happens when Ibrahim refuses to give money or men to the Mufti and the Arab Higher Committee?
10. What does Mayor Bakshir think about Palestine's government?
Essay Topic 1
Research the history of Palestine during this time. How does this novel remain true to history? Where does the novel diverge? Why do you think this happens?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role of the refugee camp. How do these camps impact the people who stay in them? How do they impact the people who do not stay in them? What is the message the author delivers about refugee camps?
Essay Topic 3
Select two of the conferences held in this novel and compare and contrast them. Who attended? What were the goals? What was actually accomplished?
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)