|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens a few days before the Arab Higher Committee forms?
2. What do the Mufti do to cause Arabs to attack the Jewish Quarter?
3. What makes Ishmael curious about the kibbutz?
4. How does Ibrahim plan to pay for the boat to take his villagers to Gaza?
5. How do the Mujahedeen raise money for Mufti?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the British installations after the attacks led by Kaukji?
2. What is Ishmael's childhood like?
3. What have groups of Arab leaders begun doing since the mention of a partition of Palestine?
4. What happens when Bockmann visits the Mufti in Jerusalem in 1937?
5. What is Operation Nachshon?
6. Why does Ibrahim have a feast for Kabir when he arrived in Tabah?
7. What does Ibrahim do to try to secure safe passage for his villagers to Beruit.
8. What role does Fawzi Kabir play in displacing Arabs from Palestine?
9. What happens when Mercedes arrives in Tabah on Christmas day?
10. What happens when Ibrahim goes to the bank to withdraw money to pay for the boat he needs to go to Gaza?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Arab tradition guides the lives of several characters in this novel. Choose three elements of Arab tradition and explain how they impact the characters in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
Research the history of Palestine during this time. How does this novel remain true to history? Where does the novel diverge? Why do you think this happens?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of education throughout this novel? Examine the different schools that are mentioned in the book. How do their goals vary? What type of education is being provided and why?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)