|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year is it when Farouk tells Ibrahim that the Jews are coming?
2. What is Plan D?
3. What does Ibrahim say will happen to Ishmael when he catches him visiting the kibbutz?
4. Why are the Tabah villagers surrounded by Jihad soldiers when they spend the night in a field in Ramle?
5. How old is Ishmael when he makes a deal with his brother concerning parcels of land?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after an Arab attacked a woman in a kibbutz in 1925?
2. How do the Mufti increase Arab violence toward Jews?
3. What happens to Ramiza's first born son?
4. How does Ibrahim's father pass on power before he dies?
5. What happens to the British installations after the attacks led by Kaukji?
6. What role does Fawzi Kabir play in displacing Arabs from Palestine?
7. As a child, what does Ishmael think about his religion?
8. What happens during Gideon's meetings with British Colonel Frederick Brompton?
9. What happens during the United Nations meeting on November 29, 1947?
10. What do Ibrahim and Gideon discuss when they meet in Part 2, Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the symbolism of Ibrahim's dagger. Consider how Ibrahim came to own it and all the action it sees throughout the novel. What does the dagger represent?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role of the refugee camp. How do these camps impact the people who stay in them? How do they impact the people who do not stay in them? What is the message the author delivers about refugee camps?
Essay Topic 3
Choose three of the leaders from this novel and compare and contrast them. Consider the way they rule their people, their political beliefs, and their successes/failures.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)