|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After befriending a Jewish junkyard dealer, what language does Ishmael learn to read?
2. Why does Heuseinni have to move around the Middle East so much?
3. What does Gideon tell his friends and family to do after his first visit with the Arabs in Tabah?
4. What country is Gustav Bockmann native to?
5. Who sides with the Germans as World War II was starting?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Gideon and Foote meet in a Jerusalem restaurant to discuss the events in Tabah that worry them, what do they focus on?
2. What happens when Bockmann visits the Mufti in Jerusalem in 1937?
3. In Chapter 16, what do Sheik Azziz and Ibrahim discuss during their trip?
4. What happens after an Arab attacked a woman in a kibbutz in 1925?
5. What happens when Mercedes arrives in Tabah on Christmas day?
6. Why does Ibrahim have a feast for Kabir when he arrived in Tabah?
7. What have groups of Arab leaders begun doing since the mention of a partition of Palestine?
8. What is Gideon's role after the news of the Jewish death camps?
9. What advice does Brompton give regarding Plan D?
10. What happens during the United Nations meeting on November 29, 1947?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the role of the refugee camp. How do these camps impact the people who stay in them? How do they impact the people who do not stay in them? What is the message the author delivers about refugee camps?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role of outside countries on Palestine and the characters of this novel. Write about what the countries actually do, how they view the region, how the region views them, and what the impact is.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the Jericho Project. What were the purposes of the project and why did it fail? What does this project represent to this region of the Middle East?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)