|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before he agrees to send him to school, what does Ibrahim tell Ishmael his future will be?
2. How did the Jews respond to the first offer of a partitioned country?
3. What happens a few days before the Arab Higher Committee forms?
4. Who forms the Army of Liberation?
5. In Chapter 16, Ibrahim says that there will be a war over Palestine when?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 16, what do Sheik Azziz and Ibrahim discuss during their trip?
2. How does Ibrahim's father pass on power before he dies?
3. When Gideon and Foote meet in a Jerusalem restaurant to discuss the events in Tabah that worry them, what do they focus on?
4. What advice does Brompton give regarding Plan D?
5. What happens when Mercedes arrives in Tabah on Christmas day?
6. What happens when Ibrahim goes to the bank to withdraw money to pay for the boat he needs to go to Gaza?
7. What happens when Ibrahim refuses to give money or men to the Mufti and the Arab Higher Committee?
8. Why does Ibrahim have a feast for Kabir when he arrived in Tabah?
9. What surprises the Arabs when they attack the Jews for the first time?
10. What role does Fawzi Kabir play in displacing Arabs from Palestine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are Jews depicted in this novel? Take a close look at the rhetoric and language used when Jews are discussed. What is the purpose of this?
Essay Topic 2
How do the militant and rebel groups shape the development of Palestine and affect the wars in this novel? Who agrees with these actions and who disagrees? Why? What is the commentary the author is giving about these types of groups?
Essay Topic 3
Choose three of the leaders from this novel and compare and contrast them. Consider the way they rule their people, their political beliefs, and their successes/failures.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)