|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kaukji tell Ibrahim he must take his people and their tribes?
2. Why is Ibrahim nervous about attacking the Jews when they first arrive?
3. Why does Heuseinni have to move around the Middle East so much?
4. What country is Gustav Bockmann native to?
5. When Ibrahim and Gideon meet in Part 2, Chapter 11, how long has it been since they last met?
Short Essay Questions
1. While in Jericho, how does Ibrahim protect his family at night?
2. What happens to Ramiza's first born son?
3. What happens when Ibrahim tells Ishmael to kill him?
4. In Part 3, Chapters 6-10, what does Ibrahim decide about Tabah?
5. Why does Ibrahim call Gideon in Part 2, Chapter 11?
6. What happens when Ibrahim goes to the bank to withdraw money to pay for the boat he needs to go to Gaza?
7. What happens during Gideon's meetings with British Colonel Frederick Brompton?
8. What is Gideon's role after the news of the Jewish death camps?
9. How does Ibrahim's father pass on power before he dies?
10. What does Maan discuss at the West Bank Refugee Convention?
Essay Topic 1
Choose two of the murders that happened in this novel and compare and contrast them. Consider the motives, the impact, and the symbolism of each murder.
Essay Topic 2
Research the history of Palestine during this time. How does this novel remain true to history? Where does the novel diverge? Why do you think this happens?
Essay Topic 3
How is the United Nations a character in this novel? How does the United Nations drive the plot and motivate the characters? Why does the author include the United Nations in this way in his novel?
This section contains 1,237 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)