|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After befriending a Jewish junkyard dealer, what language does Ishmael learn to read?
2. Why are the Tabah villagers surrounded by Jihad soldiers when they spend the night in a field in Ramle?
3. What do most Arabs think about the United Nations' plan for a partition of Palestine?
4. Where does an Arab attack a woman in 1925 that causes everyone to worry about a revenge attack?
5. How old is Ishmael when he makes a deal with his brother concerning parcels of land?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Jews do to prepare their land for farming?
2. How does Ibrahim's father pass on power before he dies?
3. What role does Fawzi Kabir play in displacing Arabs from Palestine?
4. What do Ibrahim and Gideon discuss when they meet in Part 2, Chapter 7?
5. What have groups of Arab leaders begun doing since the mention of a partition of Palestine?
6. What happens when Ibrahim goes to the bank to withdraw money to pay for the boat he needs to go to Gaza?
7. What is Ishmael's childhood like?
8. What does Ibrahim do to try to secure safe passage for his villagers to Beruit.
9. What happens when Ibrahim refuses to give money or men to the Mufti and the Arab Higher Committee?
10. What is Gideon's role after the news of the Jewish death camps?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the Jericho Project. What were the purposes of the project and why did it fail? What does this project represent to this region of the Middle East?
Essay Topic 2
Choose three of the leaders from this novel and compare and contrast them. Consider the way they rule their people, their political beliefs, and their successes/failures.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the role of outside countries on Palestine and the characters of this novel. Write about what the countries actually do, how they view the region, how the region views them, and what the impact is.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)