|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, why do sirens go off near the Jewish settlement?
2. How do Ishmael's brothers feel about him attending school?
3. What subject does Mr. Salmi especially encourage Ishmael in?
4. What is the name of Kaukji's rebel group?
5. Who does Ibrahim make a deal with for safe passage to Beirut for the Tabah villagers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ibrahim and Gideon discuss when they meet in Part 2, Chapter 7?
2. Why does Ibrahim call Gideon in Part 2, Chapter 11?
3. What happens during the United Nations meeting on November 29, 1947?
4. What do the Jewish people do when they first arrive?
5. What is Ishmael's childhood like?
6. What surprises the Arabs when they attack the Jews for the first time?
7. As a child, what does Ishmael think about his religion?
8. How do the Mufti increase Arab violence toward Jews?
9. What happens to Ramiza's first born son?
10. Why does Ibrahim have a feast for Kabir when he arrived in Tabah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of education throughout this novel? Examine the different schools that are mentioned in the book. How do their goals vary? What type of education is being provided and why?
Essay Topic 2
Arab tradition guides the lives of several characters in this novel. Choose three elements of Arab tradition and explain how they impact the characters in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
For much of this novel, Ibrahim is determined to return to Tabah. Discuss what the return to Tabah represents to Ibrahim and his village. Why was the dream abandoned?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)