|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, Ibrahim says that there will be a war over Palestine when?
2. Who forms the Army of Liberation?
3. Where do Ibrahim and his friends and family listen to the news on the radio as Germany begins taking over countries?
4. Where does Heusseini have a villa?
5. What do most Arabs think about the United Nations' plan for a partition of Palestine?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 16, what do Sheik Azziz and Ibrahim discuss during their trip?
2. How do the Mufti increase Arab violence toward Jews?
3. What happens to Ramiza's first born son?
4. What happens during Gideon's meetings with British Colonel Frederick Brompton?
5. What happens when Bockmann visits the Mufti in Jerusalem in 1937?
6. What is Ishmael's childhood like?
7. When Gideon and Foote meet in a Jerusalem restaurant to discuss the events in Tabah that worry them, what do they focus on?
8. What happens during the United Nations meeting on November 29, 1947?
9. Why does Ibrahim have a feast for Kabir when he arrived in Tabah?
10. Why does Ibrahim call Gideon in Part 2, Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What type of leader is Ibrahim? Support your opinion using detailed examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the Jericho Project. What were the purposes of the project and why did it fail? What does this project represent to this region of the Middle East?
Essay Topic 3
Arab tradition guides the lives of several characters in this novel. Choose three elements of Arab tradition and explain how they impact the characters in this novel.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)