|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ishmael attend school when he is nine?
2. Who does Ibrahim have purchase the Palestine Post?
3. Why is Ramiza treated poorly by the people of Tabah?
4. Where do Ibrahim and his friends and family listen to the news on the radio as Germany begins taking over countries?
5. What is the name of the King of Jordan's army?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the lie surrounding Jamil's death?
2. What happens after the death of Abdullah?
3. What do Ibrahim and Gideon discuss when they meet in Part 2, Chapter 7?
4. After leaving Tabah, why does Ibrahim refuse to be called a refugee?
5. How do the Mufti increase Arab violence toward Jews?
6. What happens during Gideon's meetings with British Colonel Frederick Brompton?
7. What happens when Ibrahim tells Ishmael to kill him?
8. What happens to the British installations after the attacks led by Kaukji?
9. How does Hamdi convince Nada to stay with him as his lover?
10. What happens as everyone leaves the West Bank Refugee Convention?
Essay Topic 1
Choose two of the murders that happened in this novel and compare and contrast them. Consider the motives, the impact, and the symbolism of each murder.
Essay Topic 2
Ishmael had a complicated relationship with his father. Analyze the ways that these characters interacted with each other. What did the relationship mean to each party? What is significant about the way their relationship ended?
Essay Topic 3
How are Jews depicted in this novel? Take a close look at the rhetoric and language used when Jews are discussed. What is the purpose of this?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)