|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, why does Sheik Azziz say he doesn't care who rules Palestine?
2. Who forms the Army of Liberation?
3. What country is Gustav Bockmann native to?
4. What does Ibrahim say will happen to Ishmael when he catches him visiting the kibbutz?
5. Who does Ibrahim make a deal with for safe passage to Beirut for the Tabah villagers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ibrahim's father pass on power before he dies?
2. In Chapter 16, what do Sheik Azziz and Ibrahim discuss during their trip?
3. Why does Ibrahim call Gideon in Part 2, Chapter 11?
4. What happens to the British installations after the attacks led by Kaukji?
5. What do the Jews do to prepare their land for farming?
6. What is Ishmael's childhood like?
7. How do the Mufti increase Arab violence toward Jews?
8. What do Ibrahim and Gideon discuss when they meet in Part 2, Chapter 7?
9. What happens during the United Nations meeting on November 29, 1947?
10. What happens when Ibrahim refuses to give money or men to the Mufti and the Arab Higher Committee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ishmael had a complicated relationship with his father. Analyze the ways that these characters interacted with each other. What did the relationship mean to each party? What is significant about the way their relationship ended?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role of outside countries on Palestine and the characters of this novel. Write about what the countries actually do, how they view the region, how the region views them, and what the impact is.
Essay Topic 3
What type of leader is Ibrahim? Support your opinion using detailed examples from the text.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)