|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Kaukji's attacks on On January 10, 1948, what does he report to his leaders?
2. What does Kabir promise Farouk after the war if he stays in Tabah?
3. How do the Christian Arabs feel about Kaukji's attacks?
4. How does Ibrahim plan to pay for the boat to take his villagers to Gaza?
5. What makes Ibrahim nervous about the hotel the driver of the Mercedes takes him on Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Fawzi Kabir play in displacing Arabs from Palestine?
2. Why does Ibrahim have a feast for Kabir when he arrived in Tabah?
3. How do the Mufti increase Arab violence toward Jews?
4. What happens after an Arab attacked a woman in a kibbutz in 1925?
5. What is Operation Nachshon?
6. In Chapter 16, what do Sheik Azziz and Ibrahim discuss during their trip?
7. What happens during Gideon's meetings with British Colonel Frederick Brompton?
8. What is Gideon's role after the news of the Jewish death camps?
9. What happens when Ibrahim refuses to give money or men to the Mufti and the Arab Higher Committee?
10. What happens to the British installations after the attacks led by Kaukji?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the role of the refugee camp. How do these camps impact the people who stay in them? How do they impact the people who do not stay in them? What is the message the author delivers about refugee camps?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role of outside countries on Palestine and the characters of this novel. Write about what the countries actually do, how they view the region, how the region views them, and what the impact is.
Essay Topic 3
For much of this novel, Ibrahim is determined to return to Tabah. Discuss what the return to Tabah represents to Ibrahim and his village. Why was the dream abandoned?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)