|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Ibrahim nervous about the hotel the driver of the Mercedes takes him on Christmas?
2. When Fawzi Kabir dines with Ibrahim in his tents, what does Ibrahim ask for help with?
3. How does Ibrahim feel about the unity described by Kaukji in Part 2, Chapter 6?
4. In Chapter 5, why do sirens go off near the Jewish settlement?
5. Who does Ibrahim make a deal with for safe passage to Beirut for the Tabah villagers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ibrahim call Gideon in Part 2, Chapter 11?
2. In Chapter 16, what do Sheik Azziz and Ibrahim discuss during their trip?
3. What happens when Ibrahim goes to the bank to withdraw money to pay for the boat he needs to go to Gaza?
4. What have groups of Arab leaders begun doing since the mention of a partition of Palestine?
5. What happens after an Arab attacked a woman in a kibbutz in 1925?
6. What role does Fawzi Kabir play in displacing Arabs from Palestine?
7. What is Gideon's role after the news of the Jewish death camps?
8. What happens to the British installations after the attacks led by Kaukji?
9. What does Ibrahim do to try to secure safe passage for his villagers to Beruit.
10. What happens to Ramiza's first born son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Gideon is an unsung hero of this novel. In what ways is Gideon's role given full credit? In what ways is he overlooked? Why was this done?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role of outside countries on Palestine and the characters of this novel. Write about what the countries actually do, how they view the region, how the region views them, and what the impact is.
Essay Topic 3
What is the impact of being migrant? Explore the migrant tribes and the refugees and examine the affect a migratory life has on the people and the places they visit. How is this important to the overall Arab condition?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)