|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ibrahim say will happen to Ishmael when he catches him visiting the kibbutz?
2. Who forms the Army of Liberation?
3. What does Ibrahim do to the perimeter of his town when the riots and attacks begin to reach the valley of Avalon?
4. What does Gideon Asch tell Ibrahim the Jews are planning to do with the land they purchased?
5. When Ibrahim tells the people of Tabah to evacuate, what is Farouk responsible for bringing with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises the Arabs when they attack the Jews for the first time?
2. What happens when Ibrahim refuses to give money or men to the Mufti and the Arab Higher Committee?
3. What happens to Ramiza's first born son?
4. What happens when Mercedes arrives in Tabah on Christmas day?
5. What role does Fawzi Kabir play in displacing Arabs from Palestine?
6. What happens during Gideon's meetings with British Colonel Frederick Brompton?
7. What do Ibrahim and Gideon discuss when they meet in Part 2, Chapter 7?
8. When Gideon and Foote meet in a Jerusalem restaurant to discuss the events in Tabah that worry them, what do they focus on?
9. In Chapter 16, what do Sheik Azziz and Ibrahim discuss during their trip?
10. What happens when Ibrahim goes to the bank to withdraw money to pay for the boat he needs to go to Gaza?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are Jews depicted in this novel? Take a close look at the rhetoric and language used when Jews are discussed. What is the purpose of this?
Essay Topic 2
Nada defies the role her father wants her to have, and therefore she shames the family and must die. Explain what Nada represents in this novel and how she changes throughout the course of the book.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Gideon is an unsung hero of this novel. In what ways is Gideon's role given full credit? In what ways is he overlooked? Why was this done?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)