|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What number wife is Hagar for Ibrahim?
2. Why is one of Ibrahim's villagers captured by Mufti and Mujahedeen?
3. How old is Ishmael when he makes a deal with his brother concerning parcels of land?
4. Why does the British foreign secretary order a blockade of Palestine?
5. Where do Ibrahim and his friends and family listen to the news on the radio as Germany begins taking over countries?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ibrahim do to try to secure safe passage for his villagers to Beruit.
2. How do the Mufti increase Arab violence toward Jews?
3. What happens when Ibrahim goes to the bank to withdraw money to pay for the boat he needs to go to Gaza?
4. What advice does Brompton give regarding Plan D?
5. Why does Ibrahim call Gideon in Part 2, Chapter 11?
6. What happens during Gideon's meetings with British Colonel Frederick Brompton?
7. What happens after an Arab attacked a woman in a kibbutz in 1925?
8. What happens when Mercedes arrives in Tabah on Christmas day?
9. What surprises the Arabs when they attack the Jews for the first time?
10. As a child, what does Ishmael think about his religion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three of the leaders from this novel and compare and contrast them. Consider the way they rule their people, their political beliefs, and their successes/failures.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role of outside countries on Palestine and the characters of this novel. Write about what the countries actually do, how they view the region, how the region views them, and what the impact is.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Gideon is an unsung hero of this novel. In what ways is Gideon's role given full credit? In what ways is he overlooked? Why was this done?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)