|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group does Mr. Salmi belong to?
2. What is the name of the King of Jordan's army?
3. What number wife is Hagar for Ibrahim?
4. What are the Wahhabi known for?
5. What does Gideon tell his friends and family to do after his first visit with the Arabs in Tabah?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Gideon's role after the news of the Jewish death camps?
2. In Chapter 16, what do Sheik Azziz and Ibrahim discuss during their trip?
3. What does Ibrahim do to try to secure safe passage for his villagers to Beruit.
4. What happens after an Arab attacked a woman in a kibbutz in 1925?
5. What happens when Ibrahim goes to the bank to withdraw money to pay for the boat he needs to go to Gaza?
6. What advice does Brompton give regarding Plan D?
7. Why does Ibrahim call Gideon in Part 2, Chapter 11?
8. What happens to Ramiza's first born son?
9. What surprises the Arabs when they attack the Jews for the first time?
10. What do Ibrahim and Gideon discuss when they meet in Part 2, Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the Jericho Project. What were the purposes of the project and why did it fail? What does this project represent to this region of the Middle East?
Essay Topic 2
Nada defies the role her father wants her to have, and therefore she shames the family and must die. Explain what Nada represents in this novel and how she changes throughout the course of the book.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Gideon is an unsung hero of this novel. In what ways is Gideon's role given full credit? In what ways is he overlooked? Why was this done?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)