|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does news of the Jewish death camps affect Tabah?
2. Where does Farouk go to make marriage arrangements between Ibrahim and Ramiza?
3. What is Plan D?
4. What did Ishmael's mother encourage him to do when he was staying with her?
5. Where does Ibrahim hide the night before he is set to take a boat to Beirut?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after an Arab attacked a woman in a kibbutz in 1925?
2. What do the Jewish people do when they first arrive?
3. What happens when Ibrahim goes to the bank to withdraw money to pay for the boat he needs to go to Gaza?
4. What role does Fawzi Kabir play in displacing Arabs from Palestine?
5. What happens when Mercedes arrives in Tabah on Christmas day?
6. What is Operation Nachshon?
7. Why does Ibrahim call Gideon in Part 2, Chapter 11?
8. What is Gideon's role after the news of the Jewish death camps?
9. What advice does Brompton give regarding Plan D?
10. When Gideon and Foote meet in a Jerusalem restaurant to discuss the events in Tabah that worry them, what do they focus on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the Jericho Project. What were the purposes of the project and why did it fail? What does this project represent to this region of the Middle East?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role of outside countries on Palestine and the characters of this novel. Write about what the countries actually do, how they view the region, how the region views them, and what the impact is.
Essay Topic 3
For much of this novel, Ibrahim is determined to return to Tabah. Discuss what the return to Tabah represents to Ibrahim and his village. Why was the dream abandoned?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)