|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is one of Ibrahim's villagers captured by Mufti and Mujahedeen?
2. What makes Ibrahim nervous about the hotel the driver of the Mercedes takes him on Christmas?
3. On January 10, 1948, what do Kaukji's forces attack in Syria?
4. Who arrests Gideon in 1946?
5. Who rescues Ibrahim and his family in Part 2, Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Jews do to prepare their land for farming?
2. What advice does Brompton give regarding Plan D?
3. As a child, what does Ishmael think about his religion?
4. How do the Mufti increase Arab violence toward Jews?
5. How does Ibrahim's father pass on power before he dies?
6. What happens during the United Nations meeting on November 29, 1947?
7. What have groups of Arab leaders begun doing since the mention of a partition of Palestine?
8. As a child, what is Ishmael's relationship with the Jews like?
9. What do Ibrahim and Gideon discuss when they meet in Part 2, Chapter 7?
10. Why does Ibrahim have a feast for Kabir when he arrived in Tabah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of education throughout this novel? Examine the different schools that are mentioned in the book. How do their goals vary? What type of education is being provided and why?
Essay Topic 2
Ishmael had a complicated relationship with his father. Analyze the ways that these characters interacted with each other. What did the relationship mean to each party? What is significant about the way their relationship ended?
Essay Topic 3
For much of this novel, Ibrahim is determined to return to Tabah. Discuss what the return to Tabah represents to Ibrahim and his village. Why was the dream abandoned?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)