|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kaukji tell Ibrahim he must take his people and their tribes?
2. What makes Ishmael curious about the kibbutz?
3. How old is Ishmael when he leaves school?
4. What part of Palestine did Fawzi Kabir sell most of to the Jews?
5. How does Ibrahim feel about the unity described by Kaukji in Part 2, Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ibrahim and Gideon discuss when they meet in Part 2, Chapter 7?
2. How do the Mufti increase Arab violence toward Jews?
3. What do the Jewish people do when they first arrive?
4. What have groups of Arab leaders begun doing since the mention of a partition of Palestine?
5. What happens when Ibrahim goes to the bank to withdraw money to pay for the boat he needs to go to Gaza?
6. What does Ibrahim do to try to secure safe passage for his villagers to Beruit.
7. What happens during Gideon's meetings with British Colonel Frederick Brompton?
8. How does Ibrahim's father pass on power before he dies?
9. As a child, what does Ishmael think about his religion?
10. What happens to Ramiza's first born son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the United Nations a character in this novel? How does the United Nations drive the plot and motivate the characters? Why does the author include the United Nations in this way in his novel?
Essay Topic 2
What type of leader is Ibrahim? Support your opinion using detailed examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Research the history of Palestine during this time. How does this novel remain true to history? Where does the novel diverge? Why do you think this happens?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)