|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What business do Ibrahim and his brother Farouk own?
(a) A theater.
(b) A coffeehouse.
(c) An after-hours restaurant.
(d) A hotel.
2. After the first failed attack, where does Ibrahim go to watch the Jewish settlers every day?
(a) The center of town.
(b) The cave.
(c) The knoll.
(d) The mountain.
3. Who does Ibrahim have find out why the Jews flooded the canals?
4. Who rescues Ibrahim and his family in Part 2, Chapter 16?
5. After befriending a Jewish junkyard dealer, what language does Ishmael learn to read?
6. What is the name of the King of Jordan's army?
(a) Arab Blockade.
(b) Arab Secret Forces.
(c) Arab Power.
(d) Arab Legion.
7. What happened when Gideon is held captive and tortured for giving information to the British?
(a) His hand was cut off.
(b) His family was tortured also.
(c) He was killed.
(d) He was sent into exile.
8. While on his deathbed in Chapter 1, what does Ibrahim's father give him?
(a) A book.
(b) A ring.
(c) A cloak.
(d) A dagger.
9. Why does the British foreign secretary order a blockade of Palestine?
(a) To stop Arabs from fleeing.
(b) To protect their investments in the area.
(c) To stop Jewish immigration.
(d) To let more Jews into the area.
10. How old is Ishmael when he leaves school?
11. Why is one of Ibrahim's villagers captured by Mufti and Mujahedeen?
(a) Mufti is trying to take over Tabah.
(b) Ibrahim won't give them money.
(c) They confuse the villager with someone else.
(d) The villager is a criminal.
12. Why does Heuseinni have to move around the Middle East so much?
(a) He was wanted for war crimes.
(b) He was buying a lot of land.
(c) He travelled for work.
(d) He was trying to find his religion.
13. What makes Ishmael curious about the kibbutz?
(a) Gideon's talks.
(b) Living next to one.
(c) His father's secrecy.
(d) Reading the Koran.
14. What do most Arabs think about the United Nations' plan for a partition of Palestine?
(a) They thought it was a great idea.
(b) They thought the British were behind it.
(c) They thought it would not pass.
(d) They wanted to help create it.
15. How do Ishmael's brothers feel about him attending school?
(a) They are shocked.
(b) They think it is funny.
(c) They are jealous.
(d) They don't care.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Gideon, what is Islam used as an excuse for?
2. What do the Jews say it would take for Jaffa to remain a safe city?
3. What do the Mufti do to cause Arabs to attack the Jewish Quarter?
4. What was the retaliation for Deir Yassin following the Irgun attack?
5. Where do Ibrahim and his friends and family listen to the news on the radio as Germany begins taking over countries?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)