|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What business do Ibrahim and his brother Farouk own?
(a) A coffeehouse.
(b) A hotel.
(c) An after-hours restaurant.
(d) A theater.
2. Why does the Arab well not have any water in it?
(a) Kabir sold the rights to water.
(b) Ibrahim broke it.
(c) It has been a very dry year.
(d) The well was filled with cement.
3. What does Ibrahim do to the perimeter of his town when the riots and attacks begin to reach the valley of Avalon?
(a) He lines it with guards.
(b) He puts up a brick wall.
(c) He moves his whole town.
(d) He lights it on fire.
4. Who does Ibrahim have purchase the Palestine Post?
5. How did the Jews respond to the first offer of a partitioned country?
(a) They were not included in it.
(b) They counter-offered.
(c) They agreed to it.
(d) They turned it down immediately.
6. In Chapter 12, who is said to have "firmly established a new era and a new principle"?
(a) The Special Night Squads.
(c) The British.
(d) The Mufti.
7. In Chapter 5, why do sirens go off near the Jewish settlement?
(a) Because someone has broken in.
(b) Because there is a storm.
(c) Because the Arabs attack.
(d) Because someone has stolen something.
8. How does Ibrahim feel about the unity described by Kaukji in Part 2, Chapter 6?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is nervous.
(c) He is excited.
(d) He is unsure.
9. Where does Ibrahim hide the night before he is set to take a boat to Beirut?
(a) A church.
(b) A library.
(c) A hospital.
(d) A school.
10. Who does Ibrahim have find out why the Jews flooded the canals?
11. What year is it when Farouk tells Ibrahim that the Jews are coming?
12. What does Kabir promise Farouk after the war if he stays in Tabah?
(a) Five new brides.
(b) Forty-thousand dollars.
(c) One third of the land.
(d) A leadership position.
13. What makes Ishmael curious about the kibbutz?
(a) Gideon's talks.
(b) Reading the Koran.
(c) His father's secrecy.
(d) Living next to one.
14. What do the Jews say it would take for Jaffa to remain a safe city?
(a) Five-hundred thousand dollars.
(b) Ten-thousand dollars.
(c) The end of Arab attacks on Tel Aviv.
(d) The end of Arab attacks on Jerusalem.
15. When Ibrahim and Gideon meet in Part 2, Chapter 11, how long has it been since they last met?
(a) Four years.
(b) Three years.
(c) One year.
(d) Two years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject does Mr. Salmi especially encourage Ishmael in?
2. Why does Heuseinni have to move around the Middle East so much?
3. After befriending a Jewish junkyard dealer, what language does Ishmael learn to read?
4. How do the Mujahedeen raise money for Mufti?
5. What part of Palestine did Fawzi Kabir sell most of to the Jews?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)