|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ibrahim feel about the unity described by Kaukji in Part 2, Chapter 6?
(a) He is unsure.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He is nervous.
(d) He is excited.
2. When Fawzi Kabir dines with Ibrahim in his tents, what does Ibrahim ask for help with?
(a) Paying his rent.
(b) Starting a farm.
(c) Establishing guards.
(d) Building a road.
3. How do the Christian Arabs feel about Kaukji's attacks?
(a) They wanted to help the Jews.
(b) They wanted no part of them.
(c) They were didn't know anything about the attacks.
(d) They wanted to help the Arabs.
4. How do Ishmael's brothers feel about him attending school?
(a) They are jealous.
(b) They are shocked.
(c) They don't care.
(d) They think it is funny.
5. How old is Ishmael when he leaves school?
6. Why is Kaukji seeking revenge against Tabah?
(a) Because he thinks they starting the war.
(b) Because of his failed attack against them.
(c) Because they wouldn't pay him a tax.
(d) Because there are too many Jews there.
7. What country is Gustav Bockmann native to?
8. In Chapter 5, why do sirens go off near the Jewish settlement?
(a) Because someone has broken in.
(b) Because someone has stolen something.
(c) Because the Arabs attack.
(d) Because there is a storm.
9. In Chapter 16, why does Sheik Azziz say he doesn't care who rules Palestine?
(a) Because he does not believe in rulers.
(b) Because he knows Arabs will win.
(c) Because he lives in the desert.
(d) Because he read it in a book.
10. What do most Arabs think about the United Nations' plan for a partition of Palestine?
(a) They wanted to help create it.
(b) They thought the British were behind it.
(c) They thought it was a great idea.
(d) They thought it would not pass.
11. What does Ibrahim do to the perimeter of his town when the riots and attacks begin to reach the valley of Avalon?
(a) He puts up a brick wall.
(b) He moves his whole town.
(c) He lines it with guards.
(d) He lights it on fire.
12. According to Gideon, what is Islam used as an excuse for?
(a) Failure to use the land well.
(b) Lack of respect in the United Nations.
(c) Lack of water.
(d) Failure to secure a good government.
13. When Ibrahim watches the Jewish settlers build terraces for farming, what does he wonder?
(a) If they will make more money than the Arabs.
(b) Where they keep coming from.
(c) How they will get anything to grow.
(d) How they have so many supplies.
14. How does Ibrahim plan to pay for the boat to take his villagers to Gaza?
(a) By offering bribes.
(b) By selling supplies.
(c) By borrowing money from Kabir.
(d) By stealing the boat.
15. Who sides with the Germans as World War II was starting?
(a) The Iraqis.
(b) The Arabs.
(c) The Syrians.
(d) The Jews.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject does Mr. Salmi especially encourage Ishmael in?
2. What is the name of Kaukji's rebel group?
3. Why do Gideon and Foote meet at a restaurant in Jerusalem?
4. As a child, how does Ishmael feel about the Jews?
5. In Chapter 16, Ibrahim says that there will be a war over Palestine when?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)