|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Ibrahim make a deal with for safe passage to Beirut for the Tabah villagers?
(a) A Jewish leader.
(c) A Greek captain.
(d) A British soldier.
2. What did Ishmael's mother encourage him to do when he was staying with her?
(a) Steal from the market.
(b) Get a good education.
(c) Learn a trade.
(d) Write his father often.
3. What business do Ibrahim and his brother Farouk own?
(a) A hotel.
(b) A theater.
(c) A coffeehouse.
(d) An after-hours restaurant.
4. After befriending a Jewish junkyard dealer, what language does Ishmael learn to read?
5. After Kaukji's attacks on On January 10, 1948, what does he report to his leaders?
(a) That the attacks failed.
(b) That he wasn't able to get his men out of Syria.
(c) That he captured 50 Jews.
(d) That the attacks were successful.
6. How does Ibrahim plan to pay for the boat to take his villagers to Gaza?
(a) By selling supplies.
(b) By borrowing money from Kabir.
(c) By stealing the boat.
(d) By offering bribes.
7. Where do Ibrahim and his friends and family listen to the news on the radio as Germany begins taking over countries?
(a) At Ibrahim's shop.
(b) At city hall.
(c) At the library.
(d) At Gideon's.
8. Why does the British foreign secretary order a blockade of Palestine?
(a) To stop Arabs from fleeing.
(b) To let more Jews into the area.
(c) To protect their investments in the area.
(d) To stop Jewish immigration.
9. Why does Heuseinni have to move around the Middle East so much?
(a) He travelled for work.
(b) He was trying to find his religion.
(c) He was buying a lot of land.
(d) He was wanted for war crimes.
10. On January 10, 1948, what do Kaukji's forces attack in Syria?
(a) A kibbutz.
(b) Jewish homes.
(c) Places of business.
(d) A mosque.
11. What does Ibrahim tell Kabir he must have before leaving Tabah?
(a) An army.
(b) The funds.
(c) A promise that he can return.
12. Why is Kaukji seeking revenge against Tabah?
(a) Because they wouldn't pay him a tax.
(b) Because he thinks they starting the war.
(c) Because there are too many Jews there.
(d) Because of his failed attack against them.
13. Where does Heusseini have a villa?
14. What is Plan D?
(a) A plan to set fire to Jewish settlements.
(b) A plan to offer defense to Jewish settlements.
(c) A plan to allow Jews to use stolen tanks.
(d) A plan to use car bombs on Jewish settlements.
15. What makes Ishmael curious about the kibbutz?
(a) His father's secrecy.
(b) Living next to one.
(c) Gideon's talks.
(d) Reading the Koran.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group does Mr. Salmi belong to?
2. How old is Ishmael when he makes a deal with his brother concerning parcels of land?
3. In Tabah, what does every house have even if the residents can not read?
4. How does news of the Jewish death camps affect Tabah?
5. Why do the Irgun and Haganah retaliate in Jerusalem?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)