|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ibrahim tell Kabir he must have before leaving Tabah?
(a) A promise that he can return.
(c) An army.
(d) The funds.
2. What do most Arabs think about the United Nations' plan for a partition of Palestine?
(a) They thought it would not pass.
(b) They wanted to help create it.
(c) They thought it was a great idea.
(d) They thought the British were behind it.
3. How does Ibrahim plan to pay for the boat to take his villagers to Gaza?
(a) By offering bribes.
(b) By selling supplies.
(c) By stealing the boat.
(d) By borrowing money from Kabir.
4. When Fawzi Kabir dines with Ibrahim in his tents, what does Ibrahim ask for help with?
(a) Building a road.
(b) Starting a farm.
(c) Paying his rent.
(d) Establishing guards.
5. Before he agrees to send him to school, what does Ibrahim tell Ishmael his future will be?
(a) A shop owner.
(b) A scientist.
(c) A religious leader.
(d) A goatherd.
6. In Part 2, Chapter 6 what does Kaukji plan to do before the other Arab countries invade?
(a) Have a large meeting.
(b) Buy Jewish tanks.
(c) Sell his compound.
(d) Take as much of Palestine as he can.
7. What does Gideon tell his friends and family to do after his first visit with the Arabs in Tabah?
(a) To go home.
(b) To start a fire.
(c) To build a fence.
(d) To get guns.
8. Who rescues Ibrahim and his family in Part 2, Chapter 16?
9. After meeting daily with Ben-Gurion, what compromise does Gideon reach?
(a) To split the conquered land in half.
(b) To bomb only every other day.
(c) To pay a settlement to the Jews.
(d) To move the women and children away.
10. Where does Ibrahim hide the night before he is set to take a boat to Beirut?
(a) A church.
(b) A school.
(c) A hospital.
(d) A library.
11. What do the Jews say it would take for Jaffa to remain a safe city?
(a) The end of Arab attacks on Jerusalem.
(b) Five-hundred thousand dollars.
(c) Ten-thousand dollars.
(d) The end of Arab attacks on Tel Aviv.
12. Why is Kaukji seeking revenge against Tabah?
(a) Because there are too many Jews there.
(b) Because of his failed attack against them.
(c) Because he thinks they starting the war.
(d) Because they wouldn't pay him a tax.
13. In Chapter 12, who is said to have "firmly established a new era and a new principle"?
(a) The British.
(b) The Special Night Squads.
(d) The Mufti.
14. Why does the Arab well not have any water in it?
(a) It has been a very dry year.
(b) Ibrahim broke it.
(c) The well was filled with cement.
(d) Kabir sold the rights to water.
15. What makes Ibrahim nervous about the hotel the driver of the Mercedes takes him on Christmas?
(a) It is owned by Jews.
(b) It was run by Arab rebels.
(c) It is in a bad part of town.
(d) He doesn't know what the drive wants with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. While on his deathbed in Chapter 1, what does Ibrahim's father give him?
2. What happens a few days before the Arab Higher Committee forms?
3. Why do Gideon and Foote meet at a restaurant in Jerusalem?
4. Where do Ibrahim and his friends and family listen to the news on the radio as Germany begins taking over countries?
5. Why does Heuseinni have to move around the Middle East so much?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)