|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Flannery's mother do with the last letter Flannery wrote?
2. Who wins the National Book Award in this section?
3. The majority of the letters in this section are written to Cecil and _____________.
4. Who does Flannery note has been drunk for the past two Mondays?
5. Which of Flannery's friends wears a Russian costume of a large hat and black cape?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Flannery's perspective on helping other writers?
2. What is Sally Fitzgerald's perspective on how Flannery dealt with her illness?
3. Explain Sally Fitzgerald's suggestion of why Flannery is working so diligently at this point in her life?
4. How does Sally Fitzgerald's being a friend of Flannery's enriched the experience of the letters for the reader?
5. What is known about the last letter Flannery ever wrote?
6. What outstanding quality emerges when looking at the length of time span for the letters?
7. What has become evident about the information Flannery shares with her different friends?
8. How is Flannery's health as the year 1963 comes to a close?
9. What does Flannery write about conversion to her friend, "A?"
10. How does Flannery describe her writing process?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From what you can glean from Flannery's letters, create a brief character study of Flannery's mother. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her in her daily life? What hopes does she have for her daughter?
Essay Topic 2
Flannery O'Connor is famous for her use of grotesque characters in her fiction. From what you know about O'Connor from reading her letters, what would make her create such hideous creatures? What was her motive for bringing the unsavory to life? Did she get a perverse pleasure out of shocking people? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Flannery O'Connor was no stranger to disappointment and rejection. From what you know of O'Connor's life and personality through these letters, what were her biggest letdowns? How did she manage through them? How did her coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of her life? Explain.
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)