|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is one of the first publications to pay Flannery for her writing?
2. What is the overall tone of Flannery's letters in this section?
3. In the first letter of this section Flannery writes about her characters and _______________.
4. Flannery admits to not being very good at ____________.
5. Why does Flannery not use paint brushes to paint?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the same letter to Cecil Dawkins, how does Flannery distinguish between the beliefs of Southerners and Liberals?
2. What do Flannery's letters always seem to be a blend of?
3. What information about writing fundamentals does Flannery share in the first letters in this section?
4. What is the range of criticism and praise for Flannery's work when she releases WISE BLOOD?
5. Where did Flannery go after graduating college in 1945?
6. The writings will show Flannery's growth in what areas of her life?
7. How does Flannery separate Catholics from Catholicism?
8. What important note about Flannery does the editor include at the beginning of this section?
9. What event occurs to validate Flannery's Celtic roots?
10. In addition to the Fitzgeralds, Flannery and William Sessions have another friend in common--how does this friend make Flannery feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select three people to whom Flannery wrote letters and write a brief character sketch for each. Be sure to include emotional states, physical characteristics, and their connections to Flannery.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the importance of the Introduction and Editorial Note in the book. What important parameters does it establish? What ideas does it introduce? Why did the editor feel it necessary to include this information? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the editor mean by "The Habit of Being?" Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting text for each one.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)