|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Flannery treat herself to when she completed a first draft of a novel?
(a) A steak dinner.
(b) Some new records.
(c) A new dress.
(d) A new typewriter.
2. What is Flannery's response when people get the titles of her books wrong?
3. Flannery writes that one of her women friends is going to ___________ in spite of not having won a Fulbright.
(d) New York.
4. In a letter to the Fitzgeralds, Flannery writes that "Around here it is not a matter of finding the truth but __________________________.
(a) Trying to avoid it at all costs."
(b) Letting the truth find you."
(c) Of deciding which lie you live with better."
(d) Digging for it."
5. What are the new animals in Flannery's life at this point?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Flannery note has been drunk for the past two Mondays?
2. For what gift does Flannery thank the Fitzgeralds?
3. How did Flannery deal with her illness in her letters?
4. In what visible way is Flannery's mother different from Flannery?
5. In the first letter of this section, Flannery writes that she and Maryat are both _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. To which person does Flannery write both the first and last letters in this section?
2. What does Flannery share with "A" about seeing her novel in print?
3. What is known about Flannery's romantic or personal life as revealed through her letters?
4. What is known about the last letter Flannery ever wrote?
5. What has become evident about the information Flannery shares with her different friends?
6. How does Flannery use sarcasm to congratulate a friend on winning a major book award?
7. How does Flannery describe her writing process?
8. How does Flannery say she reacted when seeing the scope of the changes on her manuscript?
9. What is the nature of the book on which Flannery plans to focus this year?
10. How does Flannery integrate formal and regional writing in her letters?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)