|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the mutual friends that Flannery shares with William Sessions?
(a) The Fitzgeralds.
(b) The Stewarts.
(c) The O'Briens.
(d) The Malones.
2. Why does this person write an introduction for the book?
(a) She was a college roommate of O'Connor's.
(b) She was O'Connor's publisher.
(c) She was O'Connor's sister.
(d) She knows O'Connor personally.
3. Who is one of the newest connections with whom Flannery exchanges letters in this section?
(a) Fr. James Hall.
(b) Fr. J.R. Sprague.
(c) Dr. P.J. Brumbaugh.
(d) Dr. T.R. Spivey.
4. Why does Flannery not use paint brushes to paint?
(a) She dislikes washing them.
(b) She thinks they are too small.
(c) She can't get the sizes she needs.
(d) She can't get Parisian brushes in Georgia.
5. Even though Flannery lives in a rural area, she ____________________.
(a) Knows the city.
(b) Cannot wait to leave.
(c) Is not going to stay there.
(d) Has New York sensibilities.
6. Flannery employs _____________ dialect and slang in her letter about The Kenyon Review.
(b) South Carolina.
7. What is the purpose of the Editorial Note?
(a) To express appreciation.
(b) To cite references.
(c) To provide guidelines.
(d) To ask for donations.
8. Which of the following does Flannery have to manage in her life?
(a) Lack of vigor.
(b) Weak resistance to injury and illness.
(c) All of these.
(d) Delicate constitution.
9. What publishing company is Catharine Carver leaving?
(a) Simon & Schuster.
(b) Random House.
(c) Harcourt Brace.
(d) Red Lion.
10. With whom does Flannery live in Milledgeville?
(a) Her fiance.
(b) Her aunt.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her mother.
11. How old was Flannery when she moved to her mother's birthplace in Milledgeville, Georgia?
12. What does Flannery use for painting?
(a) Popsicle sticks.
(c) Table knife.
(d) Palette knife.
13. What liquor does Flannery keep at home as a pain killer?
(b) White rum.
14. What color is Flannery's house?
15. What did Flannery think about the writing process?
(a) It was invigorating.
(b) It was a bad habit.
(c) It was depressing.
(d) It was lonely.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what did Flannery say she failed during this section?
2. What distinction does the author say Flannery had?
3. Which is one of the first publications to pay Flannery for her writing?
4. What type of transportation does Flannery require in New York City?
5. From what country has William Sessions sent Flannery a gift?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)