|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What years are covered in Part I: Up North and Getting Home?
2. The spelling of whose name is questioned in this section?
(a) Preston Schumacher's.
(b) Sally Fitzgerald's.
(c) Truman Capote's.
(d) Catharine Carver's.
3. Why does this person write an introduction for the book?
(a) She was O'Connor's sister.
(b) She knows O'Connor personally.
(c) She was a college roommate of O'Connor's.
(d) She was O'Connor's publisher.
4. Which of the following does Flannery have to manage in her life?
(a) Weak resistance to injury and illness.
(b) Lack of vigor.
(c) Delicate constitution.
(d) All of these.
5. From where were some of O'Connor's letters taken?
(a) Her girlhood diaries.
(b) Her college papers.
(c) Her first poetry book.
(d) Her doctoral thesis.
6. What is the overall tone of Flannery's letters in this section?
7. How much is the advance Flannery may need to repay if she leaves Harcourt Brace?
8. What distinction does the author say Flannery had?
(a) She was well liked in the community.
(b) She was blind.
(c) She was a gifted child.
(d) She played concert piano.
9. Which of the following describes Flannery's life in Milledgeville?
(a) All of these.
10. What does Flannery share with some of her friends in her correspondence?
(c) Constructive criticism.
11. With what disease is Flannery diagnosed?
12. To which of the following does Flannery NOT send letters in this section?
(a) None of these.
(c) Robert Giroux.
(d) Maryat Lee.
13. Flannery's critics say that she _________________________.
(a) Writes what she gets paid to write.
(b) Has a long way to go to be a great writer.
(c) Is a dime store novelist.
(d) Will never be one of the greats.
14. How does Flannery think young writers should be treated?
(a) Encourage them to write every day.
(b) Don't be too harsh on them.
(c) Thrown them into the deep end.
(d) Don't show any partiality to them.
15. Who is the mysterious person to whom Flannery writes several letters?
(a) Johnny Mercer.
(c) Mamie Eisenhower.
(d) Truman Capote.
Short Answer Questions
1. Flannery is excellently educated in regard to which of the following?
2. In what city does Flannery visit with Mr. and Mrs. Rumsey Haynes?
3. Which is one of the first publications to pay Flannery for her writing?
4. What medicine does Flannery suggest Cecil Dawson take?
5. What is the meaning of Manichean?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)