|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the mysterious person to whom Flannery writes several letters?
(a) Mamie Eisenhower.
(b) Truman Capote.
(d) Johnny Mercer.
2. In addition to theology, Flannery also discusses __________ in the letters in this section.
3. What type of transportation does Flannery require in New York City?
4. What is the title of Flannery's first story published in a magazine?
(a) The Geranium.
(b) Hook, Line and Sinker.
(c) Peacock Blues.
(d) Mr. Lincoln.
5. What fowl dish does Flannery's mother cook in this section?
(a) Guinea hen.
6. What does Flannery use for painting?
(b) Table knife.
(c) Palette knife.
(d) Popsicle sticks.
7. Where does Flannery live during this period?
(a) San Francisco, California.
(b) Milledgeville, Georgia.
(c) Atlanta, Georgia.
(d) New York City.
8. Fitzgerald says that the letters provide _____________________.
(a) An in-depth look at O'Connor's life.
(b) A brief summary of O'Connor's life.
(c) A curriculum vitae for O'Connor.
(d) A cursory glance at O'Connor's code of ethics.
9. To whom is appreciation expressed in the Editorial Note?
(a) O'Connor's mother.
(b) The people of Milledgeville.
(c) People who made the book possible.
(d) Flannery O'Connor.
10. Flannery tells the Fitzgeralds that she is not good at ______________.
11. How much is the advance Flannery may need to repay if she leaves Harcourt Brace?
12. In what year are the letters of Chapter 5 written?
13. To which of the following does Flannery NOT send letters in this section?
(a) Maryat Lee.
(c) Robert Giroux.
(d) None of these.
14. In what city did Flannery attend college?
(a) Atlanta, Georgia.
(b) Athens, Georgia.
(c) Savannah, Georgia.
(d) Milledgeville, Georgia.
15. To whom does Flannery give some criticism on a short story in one of the letters in this section?
(b) Cecil Dawkins.
(c) Robert Lowell.
(d) Gordon Tate.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first letter of this section Flannery writes about her characters and _______________.
2. Who is one of the newest connections with whom Flannery exchanges letters in this section?
3. Flannery's letters in this section are ________________.
4. Who writes the introduction of the book?
5. Flannery comments on a woman who reads the existentialists and claims to have lost her __________________.
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)