|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country created Plan 17?
2. What former U.S president was present at the funeral of Edward VII?
(a) Calvin Coolidge.
(b) Woodrow Wilson.
(c) Ulysses S. Grant.
(d) Theodore Roosevelt.
3. What was the elder Moltke found reading on mobilization day in 1870?
(a) Lady Audley’s Secret.
(b) The Lord of the Rings.
(c) The Great Illusion.
(d) Germany and the Next War.
4. What humiliation in their past did the French want to avenge?
(a) Their defeat at Hastings.
(b) Their defeat at Sedan.
(c) Their defeat at Waterloo.
(d) Their defeat at sea by the Germans.
5. What country was Bethmann referring to when he said, “it was like striking a man from behind while he was fighting for his life against two assailants” (129)
Short Answer Questions
1. What event took place two hours after Grey finished speaking to the House of Commons in Chapter 9?
2. How did Clausewitz claim one could win public opinion?
3. What was the possibility of the appearance of the German Fleet in the English Channel in the beginning of Chapter 9 compared to?
4. The German army used against France was six times bigger in 1914 than it had been in 1870. How big was it?
5. What signal let loose “the irresistible onrush of events” that led to war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was appointed the new generalissimo of the French armies and what branch of the French military did he come from?
2. Why did Britain and France create joint military plans in 1905 after Russia was defeated by the Japanese on the other side of the world?
3. How does the breakdown of German corps on their left, center, and right at the end of Chapter 2 (26) give the appearance of a sweeping hammer blow?
4. What color uniforms had the British and Germans changed to, and what country had not yet changed its uniforms before the war began?
5. What other country besides Germany planned to use the open frontier of Belgium as a route of invasion, however this time only after the Germans had violated Belgian neutrality? How did they plan to do this?
6. How was the news of war received in France?
7. What were the two parts of Britain’s ultimatum to Germany, of which only the second part was truly an ultimatum?
8. Who said this and what did they mean: ”Some Damned Foolish thing in the Balkans” (71)?
9. In the beginning of Chapter 2 it is revealed that the alliances and counter-alliances of the various powers of Europe had created a “heap of swords piled as delicately as jackstraws” (18). How does this complex web of alliances help lead to the outbreak of war in 1914?
10. What last minute option to avoid war was presented to Kaiser William II?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)