|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what month of the year was Solzhenitsyn sentenced to serve time in Gulag?
2. What was Solzhenitsyn's first cell number?
3. Which of the following statements best describes Solzhenitsyn's attitude toward being in prison?
4. What decade is generally considered a decade of freedom to those who have studied the Gulag prison system?
5. What position did Solzhenitsyn hold in the Russian army before his arrest?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did families typically react when they saw a family member arrested?
2. What was the hygienic purge?
3. How did the prisoners of Gulag know that WWII had ended in Russia?
4. Who was the German civilian present on the day Solzhenitsyn was arrested?
5. Why was Solzhenitsyn arrested, and what was his reaction?
6. What freedoms did Solzhenitsyn experience during his first stay in the Gulag prison system?
7. In what ways did interrogators try to intimidate prisoners in the early 1920s?
8. What reason does Solzhenitsyn give for the mass arrests that were sweeping through Russia during the time of Gulag's height?
9. What was the Cadet Party?
10. What significant event happened on Russian soil in the autumn of 1941?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In his memoir, Solzhenitsyn gives very specific descriptions about the soldiers who were a part of the mass arrests leading to the overflow of prisoners in Gulag. What types of men were typically arresting soldiers during this time? What was specific about the arresting soldiers' uniforms? What does Solzhenitsyn remember most about the guards who arrested him?
Essay Topic 2
Joseph Stalin was, perhaps, the strongest force in keeping the Gulag prison system in effect for as long as it was. First, explain why Stalin created Gulag to begin with and how he fought to keep the camp system running alongside his vision. Next, explain the reaction to Stalin's death in the camps and what changes were made in Gulag following Stalin's passing.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the Gulag prison system, there was a vast organization of punishments and rewards in regards to the prisoners' productivity on a given day. First, explain how the productivity of prisoners was measured on a given day. Next, explain at least two ways prisoners were rewarded for meeting their work quota and two ways prisoners were punished for falling below the quota.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)