|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Igor Tronko when Solzhenitsyn met him?
2. How many hours a day does Solzhenitsyn claim were of no note?
3. Which of the following activities was NOT part of the prisoners' morning routine?
4. Why did the Russian government kill and imprison its people, according to Solzhenitsyn?
5. For how long were juveniles sent to Gulag when sentenced?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in the Gulag prison camps in 1945-1946?
2. Where was Solzhenitsyn arrested, and what was his reaction?
3. What happened in the military case of Mongolia in 1941?
4. Who was the German civilian present on the day Solzhenitsyn was arrested?
5. What was the Cadet Party?
6. Who was Igor Tronko?
7. What was the Section 11 paperwork that Solzhenitsyn signed during his interrogation?
8. Who were the organs?
9. How did the prisoners feel about the offer of joining the white battalion?
10. What freedoms did Solzhenitsyn experience during his first stay in the Gulag prison system?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Within the punishment cells of the Gulag camps, prisoners were forced to endure various forms of cruel and unusual punishments. Describe at least two forms of torture the prisoners in Gulag were subjected to and what offenses could lead to such punishments. Explain how members of the government rationalized those punishments to themselves and their moral sensibilities.
Essay Topic 2
When Stalin took over government power from Lenin in 1929, the definition of government criminals changed drastically. Explain how Lenin had defined his criminals while in power, and compare/contrast the definition to Stalin's. Explaom what constituted being labeled a "counter-revolutionist" under Stalin's rule, and what his punishment for these crimes was.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the Gulag prison system, there was a vast organization of punishments and rewards in regards to the prisoners' productivity on a given day. First, explain how the productivity of prisoners was measured on a given day. Next, explain at least two ways prisoners were rewarded for meeting their work quota and two ways prisoners were punished for falling below the quota.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)