|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did a typical bathroom break last when there were 120 prisoners who needed to go?
(a) 30 minutes.
(b) 15 minutes.
(c) 2 hours.
(d) 1 hour.
2. Which group of soldiers turned on the Russian church, demanding all its money?
(a) The SRs.
(b) The Turncoats.
(c) The Bolsheviks.
(d) The Militia.
3. Which of the following men is described as "the only Russian crazy enough to return without authorization"?
4. Which of the following groups of workers was NOT considered a trusty in the prison system?
(a) Food servers.
(b) Bath attendants.
(d) Drill instructors.
5. Which of the following preparations was NOT performed before the cattle cars were deemed fit for use for the prisoners?
(a) Ceilings were tested for strength.
(b) Bars were put over the windows.
(c) Drains were cut into the floors.
(d) They were swept clean.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another word for the trains that brought prisoners out to exile?
2. Which of the following bunks were considered the best bunks to have in the summer?
3. How many days was a prisoner sent to punishment for if he were found guilty of unruliness?
4. Which of the following terms is used to describe show trials?
5. For how long did Stalin use officially capital punishment as a way to "clean out" his overcrowded prisons?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was time in Gulag measured?
2. What happened in the trial of Shakhty?
3. Which prisons in the Gulag network does Solzhenitsyn remember living in as a prisoner?
4. What would prisoners drink while being transported?
5. What was Vlasov put on trial for in the last of Russia's open trials?
6. Why did women sometimes go crazy when they found a scrap of paper in the transit camps?
7. How were toilet trips managed when transporting passengers?
8. How did the peasants of Kotlas live after a Gulag prison was set up on their land in 1938?
9. What major change did Lenin make to the law right before he suffered his first stroke?
10. What types of prisoners were separated from the native population at Gulag?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)