|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following groups of men found themselves in the first show trial of the Shakhty?
(a) Coal miners.
(b) Railroad workers.
(c) Goat farmers.
(d) Police officers.
2. What does Solzhenitsyn claim happens to a person when he "lives in a graveyard"?
(a) He ceases to hope.
(b) He ceases to love.
(c) He ceases to live.
(d) He ceases to weep.
3. Which of the following methods was NOT one prisoners used to try to figure out where they were going when being sent into exile?
(a) Sneaking maps in with their folded clothing.
(b) Asking other exiled prisoners for clues.
(c) Stealing glances at street signs through cracks in the wood.
(d) Marking the position of the sun.
4. Which of the following liquids frequently made prisoners in punishment cells drunk?
(a) Lemon juice.
(b) Rain water.
(d) Hot water.
5. In what year was capital punishment abolished in the courts?
Short Answer Questions
1. How far did prisoners typically have to walk on foot if they were being transported to another prison?
2. Where did the first hunger strike in Gulag take place?
3. Which of the following activities could get a person sent to the punishment camps in TON?
4. What did Lenin secretly enjoy framing intelligentsia as before shipping them off to Gulag?
5. Which of the following sections of the memoir deals with the show trials?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises in the camps did prisoners remember that shocked their systems upon arrival?
2. How did the peasants of Kotlas live after a Gulag prison was set up on their land in 1938?
3. What did prisoners eat when they were being transported from one prison to another?
4. What was the All-Russian Central Executive Committee?
5. How was time in Gulag measured?
6. What would prisoners drink while being transported?
7. What happened during the new era of executions?
8. What types of prisoners were separated from the native population at Gulag?
9. Why were six peasants shot in Tsarskoe Selo, and what was the response from the public?
10. How were toilet trips managed when transporting passengers?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)