|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Zihma, what did prisoners being transported on foot use as nets to catch fish in the river?
(a) Their own hair.
(b) Leaves woven together.
(c) Their socks.
(d) Their trousers.
2. What did von Meck and Velchinko help Palchinsky do in the early stages of Russian revolution?
(a) Feed starving prisoners.
(b) Set prisoners free.
(c) Torture prisoners.
(d) Capture escaped prisoners.
3. How long did a typical bathroom break last when there were 120 prisoners who needed to go?
(a) 2 hours.
(b) 30 minutes.
(c) 15 minutes.
(d) 1 hour.
4. Which of the following is NOT a way that prisoners died while being transported from prison to prison on foot?
(a) They were attacked by dogs.
(b) They got dysentery from drinking swamp water.
(c) They were shot for walking too slowly.
(d) They died from dehydration.
5. Which of the following men is described as "the only Russian crazy enough to return without authorization"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were Zeks?
2. Which of the following adjectives does Solzhenitsyn use to describe the powers of execution?
3. Which of the following foods were prisoners allowed to eat on their way to exile?
4. What is another word for the trains that brought prisoners out to exile?
5. Which of the following camps was known for having good barracks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Vlasov put on trial for in the last of Russia's open trials?
2. What happened during the new era of executions?
3. What changed about capital punishment after the revolt of 1952 in the Gulag prisons?
4. Why did women sometimes go crazy when they found a scrap of paper in the transit camps?
5. What happened in the trial of Shakhty?
6. How did the peasants of Kotlas live after a Gulag prison was set up on their land in 1938?
7. Who was Palchinsky?
8. How did the public react to Vlasov's sentencing at his trial?
9. Who was in charge of preparing stolypins for prisoner use, and how were the stolypins prepared?
10. Why was capital punishment banned in 1920?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)