|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Solzhenitsyn claim happens to a person when he "lives in a graveyard"?
(a) He ceases to live.
(b) He ceases to hope.
(c) He ceases to love.
(d) He ceases to weep.
2. Where were the prisoners who were sent into exile relocated to?
3. Which of the following terms was used to describe prisoners just arriving to exile?
4. Which of the following items was used to gag a prisoner in Gulag before he was executed?
(a) A rubber ball.
(b) A potato.
(c) A clod of dirt.
(d) His socks.
5. How many civilians lived in the ground under Kotlas, a checkpoint into northeastern Russia?
Short Answer Questions
1. During which decade did prisoners rarely have food due to a food shortage all across Russia?
2. What did it mean to be "politically illiterate"?
3. Which of the following camps was known for having good barracks?
4. Who famously uttered the words, "Intelligentsia are not the nation's brains, but their excrement"?
5. How many days did the first hunger strike in Gulag last?
This section contains 194 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)