|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the first hunger strike in Gulag take place?
(a) In the Butyrki Prison.
(b) At the Toblowski hospitals.
(c) On the Solovetsky Islands.
(d) In the Verkhne-Uralsk camps.
2. Which of the following methods of transportation was NOT frequently used to send prisoners out to exile?
(a) Horse carts.
(d) Foot marches.
3. How many days did the first hunger strike in Gulag last?
(a) 21 days.
(b) 27 days.
(c) 15 days.
(d) 9 days.
4. On which anniversary of it being abolished for the first time, was capital punishment again abolished for all but military crimes?
(a) Its 20th anniversary.
(b) Its 15th anniversary.
(c) Its 10th anniversary.
(d) Its 5th anniversary.
5. How was time at Gulag measured?
(a) In weeks.
(b) In deaths.
(c) In decades.
(d) In years.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long did Stalin use officially capital punishment as a way to "clean out" his overcrowded prisons?
2. Which of the following terms was used to describe prisoners just arriving to exile?
3. Which of the following is NOT a way that prisoners died while being transported from prison to prison on foot?
4. During the new era of executions, how many men were killed in the first 16 months?
5. After Krylenko's trial, how many men were spared death by execution?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was time in Gulag measured?
2. What would prisoners drink while being transported?
3. How were toilet trips managed when transporting passengers?
4. How did the public react to Vlasov's sentencing at his trial?
5. Why did women sometimes go crazy when they found a scrap of paper in the transit camps?
6. When and where did the first Gulag hunger strike occur?
7. What happened in the trial of Shakhty?
8. For what offenses could prisoners be sent to the punishment cells?
9. What did Lenin say to Gorky about the intelligentsia of Russia?
10. Who was in charge of preparing stolypins for prisoner use, and how were the stolypins prepared?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)