|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following camps was known for being lice ridden?
2. Which of the following prisons was considered to be the center of Gulag?
(d) Krasnaya Presnya.
3. Which of the following items was NOT used to break prisoners who attempted a hunger strike?
4. For how long did Stalin use officially capital punishment as a way to "clean out" his overcrowded prisons?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) Four years.
(c) Four months.
(d) Four days.
5. Which of the following topics did Gendelman get into a heated debate with Krylenko about?
(a) Tampering with evidence.
(b) Ignoring justice.
(c) Bribing judges.
(d) Torturing witnesses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the revolutionary that organized the early Russian courts?
2. What did it mean to be "politically illiterate"?
3. Which of the following words was prison slang for execution?
4. How many defendants were a part of the first show trial in Russian history?
5. How many prisons could a true son of Gulag name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were toilet trips managed when transporting passengers?
2. Which prisons in the Gulag network does Solzhenitsyn remember living in as a prisoner?
3. What types of prisoners were separated from the native population at Gulag?
4. What surprises in the camps did prisoners remember that shocked their systems upon arrival?
5. How was time in Gulag measured?
6. Who was in charge of preparing stolypins for prisoner use, and how were the stolypins prepared?
7. Why were six peasants shot in Tsarskoe Selo, and what was the response from the public?
8. How did prisoners figure out where they were being relocated, particularly when being sent into exile?
9. What did prisoners eat when they were being transported from one prison to another?
10. What happened in the trial of Shakhty?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)