|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following liquids frequently made prisoners in punishment cells drunk?
(a) Rain water.
(b) Hot water.
(d) Lemon juice.
2. Which of the following facts about hunger strikes is NOT true?
(a) Hunger strikes claimed more lives than dysentery in the camps.
(b) Hunger strikes were made illegal in 1930.
(c) Stalin called hunger strikes counter-revolutionary.
(d) The last hunger strike took place in 1937.
3. Which of the following men is described as "the only Russian crazy enough to return without authorization"?
4. What did Gulag prisoners steal from unsuspecting guards in the revolt of 1952?
(a) Their uniforms.
(b) Their guns.
(c) Their wives.
(d) Their shoes.
5. What was the name given to the investigators whose main job was to find men to convict and send to Gulag?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following items was used to gag a prisoner in Gulag before he was executed?
2. Which of the following items is NOT something Solzhenitsyn says prisoners were discouraged from taking to the camps with them?
3. Which of the following items was NOT used to break prisoners who attempted a hunger strike?
4. During the new era of executions, how many men were killed in the first 16 months?
5. What does Solzhenitsyn claim happens to a person when he "lives in a graveyard"?
Short Essay Questions
1. When and where did the first Gulag hunger strike occur?
2. How were toilet trips managed when transporting passengers?
3. For what offenses could prisoners be sent to the punishment cells?
4. How did the public react to Vlasov's sentencing at his trial?
5. Why did women sometimes go crazy when they found a scrap of paper in the transit camps?
6. What did Lenin say to Gorky about the intelligentsia of Russia?
7. What happened during the new era of executions?
8. In what ways did the Gulag guards attempt to prevent hunger strikes from running rampant in the prisons?
9. Who were the sons of Gulag?
10. What happened in the trial of Shakhty?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)