|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was used at night when prisoners were being interrogated in the 1920s?
(c) Bolts of lightning.
(d) Car headlights.
2. Which of the following groups of foreigners was NOT seized when Tashkent fell short of their quota?
(a) Exiled Koreans.
(b) Chinese railway workers.
(c) Leningrad Estonians.
(d) Wealthy Italians.
3. How old was Igor Tronko when Solzhenitsyn met him?
(a) Older than Solzhenitsyn.
(b) Solzhenitsyn cannot tell how old Tronko is.
(c) The same age as Solzhenitsyn.
(d) Younger than Solzhenitsyn.
4. Which of the following food items was frequently served to the prisoners for lunch?
5. How many times per month were prisoners allowed to write petitions for their freedom from the prisons?
(a) Twice per month.
(b) Three times per month.
(c) Once per month.
(d) Four times per month.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position did Solzhenitsyn hold in the Russian army before his arrest?
2. What did Chulpenyev do for a living?
3. For how long were juveniles sent to Gulag when sentenced?
4. What is the name of the assassinated Soviet ambassador who had a draft named after him?
5. Which of the following adjectives does NOT describe Solzhenitsyn's attitude during his interrogation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Solzhenitsyn define evil?
2. What was the Voikov draft?
3. What happened in the Gulag prison camps in 1945-1946?
4. What happened in the 1960s when 70 judges were brought before the Supreme Court to justify their actions in the Gulag trials?
5. What freedoms did Solzhenitsyn experience during his first stay in the Gulag prison system?
6. How did families typically react when they saw a family member arrested?
7. How did Solzhenitsyn feel about prison during the first few days he spends there?
8. While imprisoned, what did Solzhenitsyn feel about his Motherland?
9. What made the first two hours of the day the most difficult for Solzhenitsyn?
10. Where was Solzhenitsyn arrested, and what was his reaction?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)