|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What inappropriate subject did Solzhenitsyn joke about, leading to his arrest?
2. How long did Solzhenitsyn "duel" with interrogators before being sent to prison?
(a) Four hours.
(b) Four days.
(c) Four months.
(d) Four weeks.
3. Under the tsar's rule, which of the following types of prisoners did NOT fill the system?
(a) Wealthy prisoners.
(b) Prominent prisoners.
(c) Violent prisoners.
(d) Former officials.
4. Which of the following statements best describes Solzhenitsyn's attitude toward being in prison?
(a) Prison was mind numbing pain.
(b) Prison was a blank slate with no chalk.
(c) Prison was the turning point in his life.
(d) Prison was an abyss.
5. What decade is generally considered a decade of freedom to those who have studied the Gulag prison system?
(a) The 1950s.
(b) The 1920s.
(c) The 1930s.
(d) The 1940s.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what year was Solzhenitsyn arrested?
2. Why did the Russian government kill and imprison its people, according to Solzhenitsyn?
3. Of the judges who were brought before the Supreme Court, how many were found guilty of war crimes?
4. What is the nationality of the man who Solzhenitsyn has carry his suitcase when he is being arrested?
5. What did Chulpenyev do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in the 1960s when 70 judges were brought before the Supreme Court to justify their actions in the Gulag trials?
2. While imprisoned, what did Solzhenitsyn feel about his Motherland?
3. Who was the German civilian present on the day Solzhenitsyn was arrested?
4. What happened to Solzhenitsyn during his third year of University study at the NKVD?
5. Where was Solzhenitsyn arrested, and what was his reaction?
6. How does Solzhenitsyn define evil?
7. What significant event happened on Russian soil in the autumn of 1941?
8. What was the Voikov draft?
9. What was the hygienic purge?
10. How did families typically react when they saw a family member arrested?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)