|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many procedures did Solzhenitsyn undergo before finally being sentenced?
2. Of the judges who were brought before the Supreme Court, how many were found guilty of war crimes?
(a) None of them.
(b) Half of them.
(c) All of them.
(d) Only a handful.
3. Where did most arrests happen during the time the Gulag prison systems were in use?
(a) In America.
(b) In Russia.
(c) In the Middle East.
(d) In Germany.
4. What was the name of the police force put into power by the government specifically used to arrest prisoners for Gulag?
(a) The Eyes.
(b) The Organs.
(c) The Skins.
(d) The Feet.
5. On what date does the war end in Russia?
(a) June 7.
(b) April 8.
(c) July 4.
(d) May 9.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following armies was both Solzhenitsyn and Tronko prepared to join in 1941?
2. Which of the following adjectives does NOT describe Solzhenitsyn's attitude during his interrogation?
3. How long was Lozovsky sentenced to serve in Gulag?
4. During what month of the year was Solzhenitsyn sentenced to serve time in Gulag?
5. How long was Chulpenyev held before being sent to the Gulag prison camps?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the typical reaction most prisoners had during the first 24 hours after their arrest and imprisonment in Gulag?
2. While imprisoned, what did Solzhenitsyn feel about his Motherland?
3. What significant event happened on Russian soil in the autumn of 1941?
4. Who was Igor Tronko?
5. In what ways did interrogators try to intimidate prisoners in the early 1920s?
6. How long did trials at the height of Gulag last for civilian prisoners?
7. Who was the German civilian present on the day Solzhenitsyn was arrested?
8. What freedoms did Solzhenitsyn experience during his first stay in the Gulag prison system?
9. Why was Solzhenitsyn arrested, and what was his reaction?
10. What was the hygienic purge?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)