|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many former POWs was Solzhenitsyn celled with during his first arrest?
2. What subject were many of the POWs imprisoned for discussing?
3. In what year did the Soviets ransack the churches in Russia, claiming victory?
4. Which of the following forms of torture were NOT common practice during interrogations?
(a) Withholding food and water from prisoners.
(b) Dipping prisoners' feet in boiling water.
(c) Burning prisoners with cigarettes.
(d) Stifling prisoners in airtight cells.
5. How long did Solzhenitsyn "duel" with interrogators before being sent to prison?
(a) Four months.
(b) Four hours.
(c) Four days.
(d) Four weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under the tsar's rule, which of the following types of prisoners did NOT fill the system?
2. Which of the following authors did Solzhenitsyn NOT quote as writing about evil in the world?
3. What country does Solzhenitsyn view as his motherland?
4. Which of the following adjectives best describes Igor Tronko?
5. What was used at night when prisoners were being interrogated in the 1920s?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was the German civilian present on the day Solzhenitsyn was arrested?
2. What reason does Solzhenitsyn give for the mass arrests that were sweeping through Russia during the time of Gulag's height?
3. What made the first two hours of the day the most difficult for Solzhenitsyn?
4. How did Solzhenitsyn feel about prison during the first few days he spends there?
5. What significant event happened on Russian soil in the autumn of 1941?
6. What happened to Solzhenitsyn during his third year of University study at the NKVD?
7. Why was Solzhenitsyn arrested, and what was his reaction?
8. What was the Cadet Party?
9. What was the Voikov draft?
10. How does Solzhenitsyn define evil?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)