|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color were the patches worn on the shoulders of the Russian soldiers?
2. What did Lenin call those he wished to suppress under fear of revolt?
3. Why did the Russian government kill and imprison its people, according to Solzhenitsyn?
(a) To cleanse their society.
(b) To punish them for their crimes.
(c) To prevent them from revolting in the future.
(d) To ensure only the high society reproduce.
4. In what year did the Soviets ransack the churches in Russia, claiming victory?
5. What did prisoners say was the common sentence for doing nothing?
(a) 25 years.
(b) 10 years.
(d) 5 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long did Solzhenitsyn walk around Russia as a free man before being sent to Gulag?
2. After lunch, how long were prisoners allowed to rest before returning to work?
3. How long did Solzhenitsyn think he would be sentenced in Gulag?
4. How many former POWs was Solzhenitsyn celled with during his first arrest?
5. What was the name given to the guard who was in charge of waking the prisoners up in the morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Solzhenitsyn feel about prison during the first few days he spends there?
2. In what ways did interrogators try to intimidate prisoners in the early 1920s?
3. What reason does Solzhenitsyn give for the mass arrests that were sweeping through Russia during the time of Gulag's height?
4. Why couldn't interrogators be trusted to uphold the law?
5. What significant event happened on Russian soil in the autumn of 1941?
6. How long did trials at the height of Gulag last for civilian prisoners?
7. What happened in the Gulag prison camps in 1945-1946?
8. What was the Voikov draft?
9. What was the Section 11 paperwork that Solzhenitsyn signed during his interrogation?
10. What was the hygienic purge?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)