|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Solzhenitsyn claim is true about evil in the world?
(a) To do evil, people must justify their actions.
(b) To do evil, people must ignore pain.
(c) To do evil, people must search for justice in an unjust world.
(d) To do evil, people must disregard humanity.
2. How long did most men survive in the Gulag prison systems before being executed?
(a) One year.
(b) Three years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Seven years.
3. Which of the following groups of people was NOT considered dangerous by Lenin?
(a) Violent offenders.
(c) Class enemies.
4. What subject were many of the POWs imprisoned for discussing?
5. Which of the following activities was NOT part of the prisoners' morning routine?
(a) Making their beds.
(b) Eating a meager breakfast of gruel.
(c) Sitting down and thinking about their ruined lives.
(d) Jumping out of bed when the bell rang.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Lozovsky ask to be shot during Chulpenyev's trial?
2. On what charge was Chulpenyev arrested in 1941?
3. What type of prison cells were prisoners kept in during their interrogation process?
4. Which country did Solzhenitsyn use as an example to show how the Organs justify their existence?
5. Which of the following actions did Solzhenitsyn do trying to infuriate those who took joy in his arrest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Igor Tronko?
2. What happened in the military case of Mongolia in 1941?
3. What reason does Solzhenitsyn give for the mass arrests that were sweeping through Russia during the time of Gulag's height?
4. What significant event happened on Russian soil in the autumn of 1941?
5. Where was Solzhenitsyn arrested, and what was his reaction?
6. What happened in the 1960s when 70 judges were brought before the Supreme Court to justify their actions in the Gulag trials?
7. Why couldn't interrogators be trusted to uphold the law?
8. How does Solzhenitsyn define evil?
9. How did the prisoners of Gulag know that WWII had ended in Russia?
10. How did the prisoners feel about the offer of joining the white battalion?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)