|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following monsters did Solzhenitsyn compare Borsch to when he saw him at the medical hospital in camp?
(a) A ghost.
(b) A vampire.
(c) A werewolf.
(d) A mummy.
2. Which hours of the day does Solzhenitsyn claim were the hardest?
(a) The two middle hours.
(b) The first two hours.
(c) Every hour was equally terrible.
(d) The last two hours.
3. Which of the following items was Solzhenitsyn afraid his interrogators will find?
(a) His notebooks.
(b) His handgun.
(c) His photographs.
(d) His pamphlets.
4. For how long did Solzhenitsyn walk around Russia as a free man before being sent to Gulag?
(a) Four days.
(b) Four hours.
(c) Four months.
(d) Four weeks.
5. What subject were many of the POWs imprisoned for discussing?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the acronym for the school where Solzhenitsyn studied?
2. How long was the standard Stalin imprisonment in Gulag?
3. How were prisoners treated when they spoke in their own defense at trial?
4. What was the name given to the guard who was in charge of waking the prisoners up in the morning?
5. What did Solzhenitsyn claim is true about evil in the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made the first two hours of the day the most difficult for Solzhenitsyn?
2. How did the prisoners of Gulag know that WWII had ended in Russia?
3. How does Solzhenitsyn define evil?
4. What was the Section 11 paperwork that Solzhenitsyn signed during his interrogation?
5. Who was Igor Tronko?
6. Who were the organs?
7. What significant event happened on Russian soil in the autumn of 1941?
8. What is the typical reaction most prisoners had during the first 24 hours after their arrest and imprisonment in Gulag?
9. How did families typically react when they saw a family member arrested?
10. How did Solzhenitsyn feel about prison during the first few days he spends there?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)