|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the prison where Solzhenitsyn was sent after his arrest?
2. Which of the following items were the colors on the Russian uniform meant to represent?
3. How many times per month were prisoners allowed to write petitions for their freedom from the prisons?
(a) Four times per month.
(b) Twice per month.
(c) Once per month.
(d) Three times per month.
4. How were prisoners treated when they spoke in their own defense at trial?
(a) They were honored.
(b) They were beaten.
(c) They were mocked.
(d) They were ignored.
5. Which of the following forms of torture were NOT common practice during interrogations?
(a) Dipping prisoners' feet in boiling water.
(b) Stifling prisoners in airtight cells.
(c) Burning prisoners with cigarettes.
(d) Withholding food and water from prisoners.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following monsters did Solzhenitsyn compare Borsch to when he saw him at the medical hospital in camp?
2. What was the name of the police force put into power by the government specifically used to arrest prisoners for Gulag?
3. How old was Igor Tronko when Solzhenitsyn met him?
4. How many hours a day does Solzhenitsyn claim were of no note?
5. Which of the following jobs was offered in exchange for food in the Gulag prison systems?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in the 1960s when 70 judges were brought before the Supreme Court to justify their actions in the Gulag trials?
2. Who was in charge of preparing stolypins for prisoner use, and how were the stolypins prepared?
3. Why did women sometimes go crazy when they found a scrap of paper in the transit camps?
4. How did the prisoners feel about the offer of joining the white battalion?
5. What was the Section 11 paperwork that Solzhenitsyn signed during his interrogation?
6. In what ways did interrogators try to intimidate prisoners in the early 1920s?
7. How was time in Gulag measured?
8. Who was Igor Tronko?
9. What did prisoners eat when they were being transported from one prison to another?
10. How does Solzhenitsyn define evil?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)