|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many hours a day does Solzhenitsyn claim were of no note?
(a) 24 hours a day.
(b) 16 hours a day.
(c) 8 hours a day.
(d) 12 hours a day.
2. How did men treat Solzhenitsyn when he was in his uniform during his arrest?
(a) With apathy.
(b) With admiration.
(c) With confusion.
(d) With contempt.
3. What inappropriate subject did Solzhenitsyn joke about, leading to his arrest?
4. What did prisoners say was the common sentence for doing nothing?
(a) 10 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 25 years.
5. Which of the following items were the colors on the Russian uniform meant to represent?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Captain Borsch's partner?
2. What was used at night when prisoners were being interrogated in the 1920s?
3. What decade is generally considered a decade of freedom to those who have studied the Gulag prison system?
4. How long did Solzhenitsyn "duel" with interrogators before being sent to prison?
5. Which of the following activities was NOT something Solzhenitsyn was allowed to do in prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. What major change did Lenin make to the law right before he suffered his first stroke?
2. What is the typical reaction most prisoners had during the first 24 hours after their arrest and imprisonment in Gulag?
3. What was Vlasov put on trial for in the last of Russia's open trials?
4. How did the peasants of Kotlas live after a Gulag prison was set up on their land in 1938?
5. What made the first two hours of the day the most difficult for Solzhenitsyn?
6. How did the prisoners feel about the offer of joining the white battalion?
7. What did Lenin say to Gorky about the intelligentsia of Russia?
8. Where was Solzhenitsyn arrested, and what was his reaction?
9. What significant event happened on Russian soil in the autumn of 1941?
10. Why did the Bolshevik Army turn on the church, and what do it get in return?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)