|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lenin call the purge through which he got rid of all those he wished to suppress?
(a) The necessary purge.
(b) The hygienic purge.
(c) The gastronomical purge.
(d) The spending purge.
2. Which hours of the day does Solzhenitsyn claim were the hardest?
(a) Every hour was equally terrible.
(b) The last two hours.
(c) The two middle hours.
(d) The first two hours.
3. What did Solzhenitsyn claim is true about evil in the world?
(a) To do evil, people must disregard humanity.
(b) To do evil, people must justify their actions.
(c) To do evil, people must ignore pain.
(d) To do evil, people must search for justice in an unjust world.
4. How many times per month were prisoners allowed to write petitions for their freedom from the prisons?
(a) Four times per month.
(b) Twice per month.
(c) Three times per month.
(d) Once per month.
5. What inappropriate subject did Solzhenitsyn joke about, leading to his arrest?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did the typical Gulag prisoner's trial last?
2. What was the name of the political party put into place by the tsar?
3. During what month of the year was Solzhenitsyn sentenced to serve time in Gulag?
4. What is the name of the assassinated Soviet ambassador who had a draft named after him?
5. Which of the following food items was frequently served to the prisoners for lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Section 11 paperwork that Solzhenitsyn signed during his interrogation?
2. What significant event happened on Russian soil in the autumn of 1941?
3. Who was Igor Tronko?
4. Why was Solzhenitsyn arrested, and what was his reaction?
5. What was the Voikov draft?
6. How did the prisoners of Gulag know that WWII had ended in Russia?
7. While imprisoned, what did Solzhenitsyn feel about his Motherland?
8. What made the first two hours of the day the most difficult for Solzhenitsyn?
9. How did Solzhenitsyn feel about prison during the first few days he spends there?
10. What reason does Solzhenitsyn give for the mass arrests that were sweeping through Russia during the time of Gulag's height?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)