|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which country is the Russian army retreating from in 1941?
2. What did Chulpenyev do for a living?
(a) He was a doctor.
(b) He was a soldier.
(c) He was a teacher.
(d) He was a lawyer.
3. How many hours a day does Solzhenitsyn claim were of no note?
(a) 24 hours a day.
(b) 16 hours a day.
(c) 8 hours a day.
(d) 12 hours a day.
4. Which of the following jobs was offered in exchange for food in the Gulag prison systems?
(a) Health services.
(b) Construction work.
(c) Food production.
(d) Body burial.
5. Which of the following items was Solzhenitsyn afraid his interrogators will find?
(a) His photographs.
(b) His handgun.
(c) His pamphlets.
(d) His notebooks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following groups of foreigners was NOT seized when Tashkent fell short of their quota?
2. What color were the battalions many POWs joined in exchange for food?
3. What typically happened to a house after its owner was arrested?
4. What is the nationality of the man who Solzhenitsyn has carry his suitcase when he is being arrested?
5. Under the tsar's rule, which of the following types of prisoners did NOT fill the system?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways did interrogators try to intimidate prisoners in the early 1920s?
2. What was the Cadet Party?
3. What significant event happened on Russian soil in the autumn of 1941?
4. How did Chulpenyev react to the charges brought against him in Mongolia in 1941?
5. What happened in the 1960s when 70 judges were brought before the Supreme Court to justify their actions in the Gulag trials?
6. How did the prisoners of Gulag know that WWII had ended in Russia?
7. Why was Solzhenitsyn arrested, and what was his reaction?
8. How did the prisoners feel about the offer of joining the white battalion?
9. What is the typical reaction most prisoners had during the first 24 hours after their arrest and imprisonment in Gulag?
10. Who were the organs?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)