|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following jobs was offered in exchange for food in the Gulag prison systems?
(a) Food production.
(b) Health services.
(c) Construction work.
(d) Body burial.
2. How long did most men survive in the Gulag prison systems before being executed?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Five years.
(c) One year.
(d) Three years.
3. What did Lenin call the purge through which he got rid of all those he wished to suppress?
(a) The spending purge.
(b) The hygienic purge.
(c) The necessary purge.
(d) The gastronomical purge.
4. For how long were juveniles sent to Gulag when sentenced?
(a) 20 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 40 years.
(d) 30 years.
5. On what charge was Chulpenyev arrested in 1941?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did prisoners say was the common sentence for doing nothing?
2. After lunch, how long were prisoners allowed to rest before returning to work?
3. Of the judges who were brought before the Supreme Court, how many were found guilty of war crimes?
4. Which country is the Russian army retreating from in 1941?
5. During what years was the Gulag prison system completely overcrowded?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why couldn't interrogators be trusted to uphold the law?
2. What was the Section 11 paperwork that Solzhenitsyn signed during his interrogation?
3. What was the Voikov draft?
4. While imprisoned, what did Solzhenitsyn feel about his Motherland?
5. How long did trials at the height of Gulag last for civilian prisoners?
6. Who was the German civilian present on the day Solzhenitsyn was arrested?
7. What happened in the Gulag prison camps in 1945-1946?
8. How did the prisoners feel about the offer of joining the white battalion?
9. What happened in the 1960s when 70 judges were brought before the Supreme Court to justify their actions in the Gulag trials?
10. What reason does Solzhenitsyn give for the mass arrests that were sweeping through Russia during the time of Gulag's height?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)