|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the typical punishment for a Russian POW?
(a) Hard labor.
(b) A tenner.
2. For how long did Solzhenitsyn walk around Russia as a free man before being sent to Gulag?
(a) Four hours.
(b) Four weeks.
(c) Four months.
(d) Four days.
3. Which of the following activities was NOT something Solzhenitsyn was allowed to do in prison?
(a) Go for a walk.
(b) Read a magazine.
(c) Cook lunch for fellow prisoners.
(d) Play chess with friends.
4. How long was the standard Stalin imprisonment in Gulag?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 35 years.
(c) 25 years.
(d) 15 years.
5. Which country did Solzhenitsyn use as an example to show how the Organs justify their existence?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following forms of torture were NOT common practice during interrogations?
2. In what year did the Soviets ransack the churches in Russia, claiming victory?
3. What color were the patches worn on the shoulders of the Russian soldiers?
4. What is the section number that Solzhenitsyn signed to, unknowing that this consigned him to hard labor and eternal exile?
5. How many hours a day does Solzhenitsyn claim were of no note?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Palchinsky?
2. How does Solzhenitsyn define evil?
3. What was the special convoy?
4. What happened in the trial of Shakhty?
5. What happened in the military case of Mongolia in 1941?
6. How did Chulpenyev react to the charges brought against him in Mongolia in 1941?
7. How did the prisoners feel about the offer of joining the white battalion?
8. What freedoms did Solzhenitsyn experience during his first stay in the Gulag prison system?
9. What is the typical reaction most prisoners had during the first 24 hours after their arrest and imprisonment in Gulag?
10. In what ways did the Gulag guards attempt to prevent hunger strikes from running rampant in the prisons?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)