|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the Russian government kill and imprison its people, according to Solzhenitsyn?
(a) To prevent them from revolting in the future.
(b) To ensure only the high society reproduce.
(c) To punish them for their crimes.
(d) To cleanse their society.
2. What did Chulpenyev do for a living?
(a) He was a lawyer.
(b) He was a teacher.
(c) He was a soldier.
(d) He was a doctor.
3. How long was the standard Stalin imprisonment in Gulag?
(a) 15 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 35 years.
(d) 25 years.
4. Which of the following activities was NOT something Solzhenitsyn was allowed to do in prison?
(a) Go for a walk.
(b) Cook lunch for fellow prisoners.
(c) Play chess with friends.
(d) Read a magazine.
5. Which of the following actions did Solzhenitsyn do trying to infuriate those who took joy in his arrest?
(a) He ignored them.
(b) He spit at them.
(c) He smiled at them.
(d) He shook his fist at them.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was Lozovsky sentenced to serve in Gulag?
2. Under the tsar's rule, which of the following types of prisoners did NOT fill the system?
3. How did men treat Solzhenitsyn when he was in his uniform during his arrest?
4. Which of the following items was Solzhenitsyn afraid his interrogators will find?
5. How long did Solzhenitsyn think he would be sentenced in Gulag?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the hygienic purge?
2. Who was Igor Tronko?
3. What is the typical reaction most prisoners had during the first 24 hours after their arrest and imprisonment in Gulag?
4. What happened to Solzhenitsyn during his third year of University study at the NKVD?
5. What was the Cadet Party?
6. What happened in the military case of Mongolia in 1941?
7. How does Solzhenitsyn define evil?
8. While imprisoned, what did Solzhenitsyn feel about his Motherland?
9. Who was the German civilian present on the day Solzhenitsyn was arrested?
10. What significant event happened on Russian soil in the autumn of 1941?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)