|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color were the patches worn on the shoulders of the Russian soldiers?
2. Which country did Solzhenitsyn use as an example to show how the Organs justify their existence?
3. During what years was the Gulag prison system completely overcrowded?
4. Of the judges who were brought before the Supreme Court, how many were found guilty of war crimes?
(a) All of them.
(b) Half of them.
(c) None of them.
(d) Only a handful.
5. What inappropriate subject did Solzhenitsyn joke about, leading to his arrest?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which hours of the day does Solzhenitsyn claim were the hardest?
2. Which of the following activities was NOT something Solzhenitsyn was allowed to do in prison?
3. Who was Captain Borsch's partner?
4. How many useful measures of torture did the Gulag prison system use?
5. How long did prisoners usually cling to the hope that their arrest has been a mistake?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Solzhenitsyn give for the mass arrests that were sweeping through Russia during the time of Gulag's height?
2. Why couldn't interrogators be trusted to uphold the law?
3. What was the hygienic purge?
4. How does Solzhenitsyn define evil?
5. How did families typically react when they saw a family member arrested?
6. Why was Solzhenitsyn arrested, and what was his reaction?
7. Who were the organs?
8. How did Solzhenitsyn feel about prison during the first few days he spends there?
9. What significant event happened on Russian soil in the autumn of 1941?
10. What freedoms did Solzhenitsyn experience during his first stay in the Gulag prison system?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)