|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the section number that Solzhenitsyn signed to, unknowing that this consigned him to hard labor and eternal exile?
(a) Section 17.
(b) Section 15.
(c) Section 13.
(d) Section 11.
2. What color were the patches worn on the shoulders of the Russian soldiers?
3. What did Solzhenitsyn claim is true about evil in the world?
(a) To do evil, people must disregard humanity.
(b) To do evil, people must search for justice in an unjust world.
(c) To do evil, people must justify their actions.
(d) To do evil, people must ignore pain.
4. On what date does the war end in Russia?
(a) April 8.
(b) July 4.
(c) May 9.
(d) June 7.
5. What is the name of the assassinated Soviet ambassador who had a draft named after him?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following groups of foreigners was NOT seized when Tashkent fell short of their quota?
2. How long did Solzhenitsyn think he would be sentenced in Gulag?
3. Of the judges who were brought before the Supreme Court, how many were found guilty of war crimes?
4. Which of the following adjectives does NOT describe Solzhenitsyn's attitude during his interrogation?
5. What country does Solzhenitsyn view as his motherland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in the 1960s when 70 judges were brought before the Supreme Court to justify their actions in the Gulag trials?
2. What was the Cadet Party?
3. Who was the German civilian present on the day Solzhenitsyn was arrested?
4. What is the typical reaction most prisoners had during the first 24 hours after their arrest and imprisonment in Gulag?
5. How did families typically react when they saw a family member arrested?
6. Why couldn't interrogators be trusted to uphold the law?
7. While imprisoned, what did Solzhenitsyn feel about his Motherland?
8. What was the Section 11 paperwork that Solzhenitsyn signed during his interrogation?
9. Who were the organs?
10. Why was Solzhenitsyn arrested, and what was his reaction?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)