|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did most arrests happen during the time the Gulag prison systems were in use?
(a) In Russia.
(b) In Germany.
(c) In the Middle East.
(d) In America.
2. How many former POWs was Solzhenitsyn celled with during his first arrest?
3. How long did Solzhenitsyn "duel" with interrogators before being sent to prison?
(a) Four days.
(b) Four hours.
(c) Four months.
(d) Four weeks.
4. What did Chulpenyev do for a living?
(a) He was a soldier.
(b) He was a teacher.
(c) He was a lawyer.
(d) He was a doctor.
5. Where did Solzhenitsyn meet Igor Tronko?
Short Answer Questions
1. On what charge was Chulpenyev arrested in 1941?
2. For how long did Solzhenitsyn walk around Russia as a free man before being sent to Gulag?
3. What did Solzhenitsyn claim is true about evil in the world?
4. What was the name of the political party put into place by the tsar?
5. What color were the battalions many POWs joined in exchange for food?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the prisoners of Gulag know that WWII had ended in Russia?
2. How long did trials at the height of Gulag last for civilian prisoners?
3. What happened in the Gulag prison camps in 1945-1946?
4. How does Solzhenitsyn define evil?
5. What was the Cadet Party?
6. Who was Igor Tronko?
7. How did families typically react when they saw a family member arrested?
8. In what ways did interrogators try to intimidate prisoners in the early 1920s?
9. Why was Solzhenitsyn arrested, and what was his reaction?
10. What significant event happened on Russian soil in the autumn of 1941?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)