|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how long did Stalin use officially capital punishment as a way to "clean out" his overcrowded prisons?
(a) Four months.
(b) Four days.
(c) Four weeks.
(d) Four years.
2. Which of the following adjectives does Solzhenitsyn use to describe the powers of execution?
3. What is the only article of clothing prisoners in the punishment cells were allowed to wear?
(a) A shirt.
4. Which of the following items was used to gag a prisoner in Gulag before he was executed?
(a) A rubber ball.
(b) A potato.
(c) A clod of dirt.
(d) His socks.
5. Where did the first hunger strike in Gulag take place?
(a) At the Toblowski hospitals.
(b) In the Verkhne-Uralsk camps.
(c) In the Butyrki Prison.
(d) On the Solovetsky Islands.
6. Which of the following camps was known for being lice ridden?
7. How far did prisoners typically have to walk on foot if they were being transported to another prison?
(a) 10-15 miles.
(b) 30-35 miles.
(c) 1-5 miles.
(d) 20-25 miles.
8. How was time at Gulag measured?
(a) In years.
(b) In decades.
(c) In weeks.
(d) In deaths.
9. How many prisons could a true son of Gulag name?
10. Which of the following foods were prisoners allowed to eat on their way to exile?
(a) Cold soup.
(b) Raw meat.
(c) Preserved fish.
(d) Boiled eggs.
11. How long did a typical bathroom break last when there were 120 prisoners who needed to go?
(a) 30 minutes.
(b) 1 hour.
(c) 15 minutes.
(d) 2 hours.
12. Which of the following camps was known for having bricked-over windows?
13. Which of the following methods was NOT one prisoners used to try to figure out where they were going when being sent into exile?
(a) Stealing glances at street signs through cracks in the wood.
(b) Asking other exiled prisoners for clues.
(c) Sneaking maps in with their folded clothing.
(d) Marking the position of the sun.
14. What nationality of men were the last to attempt a hunger strike in the Gulag prisons?
15. In what year was capital punishment abolished in the courts?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following groups of men found themselves in the first show trial of the Shakhty?
2. Which of the following prisons was considered to be the center of Gulag?
3. Which group of soldiers turned on the Russian church, demanding all its money?
4. Which of the following actions is the Central Executive Committee of the Russian government NOT allowed to do?
5. Which of the following methods was NOT used as a way to prevent prisoners from engaging in hunger strikes?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)