|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was capital punishment abolished in the courts?
2. What did Gulag prisoners steal from unsuspecting guards in the revolt of 1952?
(a) Their uniforms.
(b) Their wives.
(c) Their guns.
(d) Their shoes.
3. Where were the prisoners who were sent into exile relocated to?
4. How many days was a prisoner sent to punishment for if he were found guilty of unruliness?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 10 days.
(c) 15 days.
(d) 20 days.
5. What is the only article of clothing prisoners in the punishment cells were allowed to wear?
(d) A shirt.
6. Which of the following camps was known for being lice ridden?
7. In what year did the new era of executions start in the Gulag prison systems?
8. Which of the following medical conditions did Lenin suffer from in 1922?
(a) He suffered a stroke.
(b) He suffered a heart attack.
(c) He suffered an aneurysm.
(d) He suffered paralysis.
9. Which of the following adjectives does Solzhenitsyn use to describe the powers of execution?
10. On which anniversary of it being abolished for the first time, was capital punishment again abolished for all but military crimes?
(a) Its 20th anniversary.
(b) Its 5th anniversary.
(c) Its 15th anniversary.
(d) Its 10th anniversary.
11. What did Gendelman do for a living?
(a) He was a doctor.
(b) He was a soldier.
(c) He was a lawyer.
(d) He was a teacher.
12. Which of the following methods of transportation was NOT frequently used to send prisoners out to exile?
(a) Foot marches.
(d) Horse carts.
13. In the years 1945-1946, how many prisoners were dying every day in every camp of Gulag?
14. Who were Zeks?
15. Which of the following crimes is NOT mentioned by Solzhenitsyn as a crime punishable by death?
(a) Not trimming the hedges in one's yard.
(b) Hitting a police officer's horse.
(c) Public drunkenness.
(d) Accidentally starting a fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following men is described as "the only Russian crazy enough to return without authorization"?
2. Which of the following items was NOT used to break prisoners who attempted a hunger strike?
3. During which decade did prisoners rarely have food due to a food shortage all across Russia?
4. Why were the peasants in Tsarskoe Selo executed?
5. For how long did Stalin use officially capital punishment as a way to "clean out" his overcrowded prisons?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)