|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days did the first hunger strike in Gulag last?
(a) 27 days.
(b) 15 days.
(c) 9 days.
(d) 21 days.
2. How far did prisoners typically have to walk on foot if they were being transported to another prison?
(a) 1-5 miles.
(b) 20-25 miles.
(c) 10-15 miles.
(d) 30-35 miles.
3. Which of the following methods was NOT one prisoners used to try to figure out where they were going when being sent into exile?
(a) Marking the position of the sun.
(b) Sneaking maps in with their folded clothing.
(c) Asking other exiled prisoners for clues.
(d) Stealing glances at street signs through cracks in the wood.
4. Which of the following foods were prisoners allowed to eat on their way to exile?
(a) Raw meat.
(b) Boiled eggs.
(c) Preserved fish.
(d) Cold soup.
5. Which group of soldiers turned on the Russian church, demanding all its money?
(a) The Militia.
(b) The Bolsheviks.
(c) The Turncoats.
(d) The SRs.
6. How long does Solzhenitsyn claim it took before life in Gulag becomes bearable?
(a) One week.
(b) Life in Gulag never becomes bearable.
(c) One month.
(d) One year.
7. What nationality of men were the last to attempt a hunger strike in the Gulag prisons?
8. Why were the peasants in Tsarskoe Selo executed?
(a) For mowing public fields.
(b) For disrespecting Stalin.
(c) For producing more salt than allowed.
(d) For stealing bread for their children.
9. Which of the following camps was known for having ancient, leaking toilets?
10. How many civilians lived in the ground under Kotlas, a checkpoint into northeastern Russia?
11. What did von Meck and Velchinko help Palchinsky do in the early stages of Russian revolution?
(a) Torture prisoners.
(b) Capture escaped prisoners.
(c) Feed starving prisoners.
(d) Set prisoners free.
12. In what year did the new era of executions start in the Gulag prison systems?
13. How long did the Bolsheviks struggle to overthrow the tsar?
(a) 50 years.
(b) 40 years.
(c) 20 years.
(d) 30 years.
14. What color were the cattle cars that transported prisoners throughout Gulag?
15. Which of the following groups of men found themselves in the first show trial of the Shakhty?
(a) Goat farmers.
(b) Railroad workers.
(c) Police officers.
(d) Coal miners.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following groups of workers was NOT considered a trusty in the prison system?
2. What is the only article of clothing prisoners in the punishment cells were allowed to wear?
3. What did it mean to be "politically illiterate"?
4. Where were the prisoners who were sent into exile relocated to?
5. What argument did Stalin give to have the abolishment of capital punishment overturned?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)