|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following items is NOT something Solzhenitsyn says prisoners were discouraged from taking to the camps with them?
(d) Nice clothes.
2. When capital punishment was abolished, what was the only court system allowed to sentence defendants to death?
(a) Divorce court.
(b) Judicial court.
(c) Supreme court.
(d) Military court.
3. In the years 1945-1946, how many prisoners were dying every day in every camp of Gulag?
4. Which of the following groups of men found themselves in the first show trial of the Shakhty?
(a) Police officers.
(b) Coal miners.
(c) Goat farmers.
(d) Railroad workers.
5. What did Gulag prisoners steal from unsuspecting guards in the revolt of 1952?
(a) Their shoes.
(b) Their guns.
(c) Their wives.
(d) Their uniforms.
6. What does Solzhenitsyn claim happens to a person when he "lives in a graveyard"?
(a) He ceases to live.
(b) He ceases to hope.
(c) He ceases to weep.
(d) He ceases to love.
7. Which of the following liquids frequently made prisoners in punishment cells drunk?
(a) Hot water.
(b) Rain water.
(d) Lemon juice.
8. How old was Solzhenitsyn when he used to listen to the "boring, pallid daily records" of the trials?
9. Which of the following terms did the Gulag soldier use to describe the prisoners who partook in hunger strikes?
(b) Dead men.
10. How many prisons could a true son of Gulag name?
11. What color were the cattle cars that transported prisoners throughout Gulag?
12. Which of the following sections of the memoir deals with the show trials?
(a) "The Law in Infancy."
(b) "The Law Becomes a Man."
(c) "The Law as a Child."
(d) "The Law Matures."
13. Which of the following camps was known for having ancient, leaking toilets?
14. Which group of soldiers turned on the Russian church, demanding all its money?
(a) The Bolsheviks.
(b) The Militia.
(c) The Turncoats.
(d) The SRs.
15. When forming a line for drinking water, which of the following prisoners were allowed to drink first from the common cup?
(a) The youngest prisoners.
(b) The weakest prisoners.
(c) The healthiest prisoners.
(d) The oldest prisoners.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name given to the investigators whose main job was to find men to convict and send to Gulag?
2. For how long did Stalin use officially capital punishment as a way to "clean out" his overcrowded prisons?
3. What is the only article of clothing prisoners in the punishment cells were allowed to wear?
4. Which of the following phrases was often chalked on the sides of the cattle cars used to transport prisoners?
5. Which of the following preparations was NOT performed before the cattle cars were deemed fit for use for the prisoners?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)