|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following intangible items did Lenin legalize in 1922?
2. Which of the following camps was known for having good barracks?
3. What did von Meck and Velchinko help Palchinsky do in the early stages of Russian revolution?
(a) Feed starving prisoners.
(b) Torture prisoners.
(c) Set prisoners free.
(d) Capture escaped prisoners.
4. Which of the following is NOT a way that prisoners died while being transported from prison to prison on foot?
(a) They were attacked by dogs.
(b) They died from dehydration.
(c) They were shot for walking too slowly.
(d) They got dysentery from drinking swamp water.
5. Which of the following actions is the Central Executive Committee of the Russian government NOT allowed to do?
(a) Pardon prisoners.
(b) Give prisoners lighter sentences.
(c) Execute prisoners.
(d) Send prisoners to punishment camps.
6. What is the name of the revolutionary that organized the early Russian courts?
7. What is another word for archipelago?
8. Which of the following prisons was considered to be the center of Gulag?
(c) Krasnaya Presnya.
9. Which of the following facts about hunger strikes is NOT true?
(a) Hunger strikes were made illegal in 1930.
(b) The last hunger strike took place in 1937.
(c) Stalin called hunger strikes counter-revolutionary.
(d) Hunger strikes claimed more lives than dysentery in the camps.
10. Which of the following preparations was NOT performed before the cattle cars were deemed fit for use for the prisoners?
(a) Bars were put over the windows.
(b) They were swept clean.
(c) Drains were cut into the floors.
(d) Ceilings were tested for strength.
11. Which of the following items was used to gag a prisoner in Gulag before he was executed?
(a) A potato.
(b) A rubber ball.
(c) A clod of dirt.
(d) His socks.
12. Which of the following terms did the Gulag soldier use to describe the prisoners who partook in hunger strikes?
(d) Dead men.
13. What did it mean to be "politically illiterate"?
(b) Unable to defend oneself in court.
14. What type of prisoner was housed in TONs?
(a) Violent prisoners.
(b) Political prisoners.
(d) Sick prisoners.
15. What was the name given to the investigators whose main job was to find men to convict and send to Gulag?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives is NOT used to describe the academic civilians in Russia?
2. When forming a line for drinking water, which of the following prisoners were allowed to drink first from the common cup?
3. What is the only article of clothing prisoners in the punishment cells were allowed to wear?
4. Who famously uttered the words, "Intelligentsia are not the nation's brains, but their excrement"?
5. Which of the following terms is used to describe show trials?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)