|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following groups of men found themselves in the first show trial of the Shakhty?
(a) Goat farmers.
(b) Railroad workers.
(c) Police officers.
(d) Coal miners.
2. Why wasn't Stalin's body drawn and quartered for the execution of the peasants?
(a) Because the people begged not to disrupt his body.
(b) Because Stalin had divine absolvement of all crimes.
(c) Because no one knew where Stalin was buried.
(d) Because Stalin had never been found guilty of war crimes.
3. Which of the following activities could get a person sent to the punishment camps in TON?
4. How many days was a prisoner sent to punishment for if he were found guilty of unruliness?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 15 days.
(c) 20 days.
(d) 10 days.
5. Why were the peasants in Tsarskoe Selo executed?
(a) For mowing public fields.
(b) For producing more salt than allowed.
(c) For disrespecting Stalin.
(d) For stealing bread for their children.
6. Which of the following actions is the Central Executive Committee of the Russian government NOT allowed to do?
(a) Give prisoners lighter sentences.
(b) Execute prisoners.
(c) Pardon prisoners.
(d) Send prisoners to punishment camps.
7. Where did the first hunger strike in Gulag take place?
(a) On the Solovetsky Islands.
(b) In the Butyrki Prison.
(c) In the Verkhne-Uralsk camps.
(d) At the Toblowski hospitals.
8. Which of the following items is NOT something Solzhenitsyn says prisoners were discouraged from taking to the camps with them?
(c) Nice clothes.
9. Which of the following is NOT a way that prisoners died while being transported from prison to prison on foot?
(a) They were shot for walking too slowly.
(b) They were attacked by dogs.
(c) They died from dehydration.
(d) They got dysentery from drinking swamp water.
10. Which of the following topics did Gendelman get into a heated debate with Krylenko about?
(a) Ignoring justice.
(b) Bribing judges.
(c) Torturing witnesses.
(d) Tampering with evidence.
11. Which of the following groups of prisoners was NOT sent to its own secret prisons in Gulag?
12. What does Solzhenitsyn claim happens to a person when he "lives in a graveyard"?
(a) He ceases to weep.
(b) He ceases to hope.
(c) He ceases to love.
(d) He ceases to live.
13. Which of the following terms is used to describe show trials?
(a) Emancipated trials.
(b) Conflictless trials.
(c) Pontoon trials.
(d) Heavenly trials.
14. Which of the following terms was used to describe prisoners just arriving to exile?
15. What did Gulag prisoners steal from unsuspecting guards in the revolt of 1952?
(a) Their guns.
(b) Their wives.
(c) Their uniforms.
(d) Their shoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following phrases was often chalked on the sides of the cattle cars used to transport prisoners?
2. Which of the following sections of the memoir deals with the show trials?
3. In what year was capital punishment abolished in the courts?
4. Which of the following bunks were considered the best bunks to have in the summer?
5. Which of the following crimes is NOT mentioned by Solzhenitsyn as a crime punishable by death?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)