|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times per month were prisoners allowed to write petitions for their freedom from the prisons?
(a) Once per month.
(b) Four times per month.
(c) Three times per month.
(d) Twice per month.
2. Which of the following jobs was offered in exchange for food in the Gulag prison systems?
(a) Health services.
(b) Body burial.
(c) Food production.
(d) Construction work.
3. What was the name of the prison where Solzhenitsyn was sent after his arrest?
4. Who was Captain Borsch's partner?
(a) Colonel Mariyushkin.
(b) Captain Viktor Abakumov
(c) Feliks Dzerzhinsky.
(d) Nikolai Krylenko.
5. Which of the following forms of torture were NOT common practice during interrogations?
(a) Burning prisoners with cigarettes.
(b) Stifling prisoners in airtight cells.
(c) Dipping prisoners' feet in boiling water.
(d) Withholding food and water from prisoners.
6. Which of the following statements best describes Solzhenitsyn's attitude toward being in prison?
(a) Prison was the turning point in his life.
(b) Prison was mind numbing pain.
(c) Prison was an abyss.
(d) Prison was a blank slate with no chalk.
7. Which of the following groups of foreigners was NOT seized when Tashkent fell short of their quota?
(a) Wealthy Italians.
(b) Leningrad Estonians.
(c) Chinese railway workers.
(d) Exiled Koreans.
8. What did prisoners say was the common sentence for doing nothing?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 5 years.
(d) 25 years.
9. How many men attempted to run away from the Gulag prison system?
(a) Very few.
(b) About one in three.
(c) More than half.
(d) Nearly all.
10. What was the name of the political party put into place by the tsar?
(a) The Soldier Party.
(b) The Scout Party.
(c) The Cadet Party.
(d) The Leader Party.
11. Where was Solzhenitsyn when he was finally arrested?
(a) Asleep in his bed.
(b) At church.
(c) At the movie theater.
(d) At a train station.
12. Which country is the Russian army retreating from in 1941?
13. Which of the following armies was both Solzhenitsyn and Tronko prepared to join in 1941?
(a) The Blue Army.
(b) The Red Army.
(c) The White Army.
(d) The Black Army.
14. What inappropriate subject did Solzhenitsyn joke about, leading to his arrest?
15. During what year was Solzhenitsyn arrested?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was the standard Stalin imprisonment in Gulag?
2. How many peasants were members of the TKP?
3. What color were the battalions many POWs joined in exchange for food?
4. Which of the following activities was NOT part of the prisoners' morning routine?
5. Which of the following monsters did Solzhenitsyn compare Borsch to when he saw him at the medical hospital in camp?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)