|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many procedures did Solzhenitsyn undergo before finally being sentenced?
2. What color were the battalions many POWs joined in exchange for food?
3. How were prisoners treated when they spoke in their own defense at trial?
(a) They were beaten.
(b) They were honored.
(c) They were mocked.
(d) They were ignored.
4. Where did Solzhenitsyn meet Igor Tronko?
5. Which of the following statements best describes Solzhenitsyn's attitude toward being in prison?
(a) Prison was a blank slate with no chalk.
(b) Prison was mind numbing pain.
(c) Prison was an abyss.
(d) Prison was the turning point in his life.
6. For how long were juveniles sent to Gulag when sentenced?
(a) 20 years.
(b) 40 years.
(c) 30 years.
(d) 10 years.
7. How long did Solzhenitsyn "duel" with interrogators before being sent to prison?
(a) Four days.
(b) Four months.
(c) Four weeks.
(d) Four hours.
8. Which of the following items was Solzhenitsyn afraid his interrogators will find?
(a) His pamphlets.
(b) His notebooks.
(c) His photographs.
(d) His handgun.
9. Which of the following monsters did Solzhenitsyn compare Borsch to when he saw him at the medical hospital in camp?
(a) A mummy.
(b) A ghost.
(c) A werewolf.
(d) A vampire.
10. How long did prisoners usually cling to the hope that their arrest has been a mistake?
(a) For one month.
(b) For one day.
(c) For one week.
(d) For one year.
11. For how long did Solzhenitsyn walk around Russia as a free man before being sent to Gulag?
(a) Four months.
(b) Four hours.
(c) Four weeks.
(d) Four days.
12. On what date does the war end in Russia?
(a) May 9.
(b) July 4.
(c) April 8.
(d) June 7.
13. How many times per month were prisoners allowed to write petitions for their freedom from the prisons?
(a) Three times per month.
(b) Four times per month.
(c) Once per month.
(d) Twice per month.
14. What was the typical punishment for a Russian POW?
(a) Hard labor.
(b) A tenner.
15. What was Solzhenitsyn's first cell number?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives best describes Igor Tronko?
2. Which country did Solzhenitsyn use as an example to show how the Organs justify their existence?
3. What did Chulpenyev do for a living?
4. Which of the following forms of torture were NOT common practice during interrogations?
5. What did relatives furiously try to pack when their family members were arrested?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)