|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did most arrests happen during the time the Gulag prison systems were in use?
(a) In Russia.
(b) In the Middle East.
(c) In Germany.
(d) In America.
2. Under the tsar's rule, which of the following types of prisoners did NOT fill the system?
(a) Wealthy prisoners.
(b) Violent prisoners.
(c) Former officials.
(d) Prominent prisoners.
3. Which country did Solzhenitsyn use as an example to show how the Organs justify their existence?
4. How old was Igor Tronko when Solzhenitsyn met him?
(a) Younger than Solzhenitsyn.
(b) Solzhenitsyn cannot tell how old Tronko is.
(c) The same age as Solzhenitsyn.
(d) Older than Solzhenitsyn.
5. What is the section number that Solzhenitsyn signed to, unknowing that this consigned him to hard labor and eternal exile?
(a) Section 17.
(b) Section 11.
(c) Section 13.
(d) Section 15.
6. After lunch, how long were prisoners allowed to rest before returning to work?
(a) One hour.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Three hours.
(d) They were not allowed to rest.
7. How many times per month were prisoners allowed to write petitions for their freedom from the prisons?
(a) Twice per month.
(b) Three times per month.
(c) Four times per month.
(d) Once per month.
8. What did Chulpenyev do for a living?
(a) He was a lawyer.
(b) He was a soldier.
(c) He was a doctor.
(d) He was a teacher.
9. How long did most men survive in the Gulag prison systems before being executed?
(a) One year.
(b) Five years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Seven years.
10. How long was Lozovsky sentenced to serve in Gulag?
(a) 13 years.
(b) 9 years.
(c) 27 years.
11. What was Solzhenitsyn's first cell number?
12. On what charge was Chulpenyev arrested in 1941?
13. What did Lenin call those he wished to suppress under fear of revolt?
14. Which hours of the day does Solzhenitsyn claim were the hardest?
(a) The two middle hours.
(b) Every hour was equally terrible.
(c) The first two hours.
(d) The last two hours.
15. Which of the following activities was NOT something Solzhenitsyn was allowed to do in prison?
(a) Go for a walk.
(b) Play chess with friends.
(c) Cook lunch for fellow prisoners.
(d) Read a magazine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the political party put into place by the tsar?
2. In what year did the Soviets ransack the churches in Russia, claiming victory?
3. Which of the following armies was both Solzhenitsyn and Tronko prepared to join in 1941?
4. What was the name of the police force put into power by the government specifically used to arrest prisoners for Gulag?
5. How long did Solzhenitsyn think he would be sentenced in Gulag?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)