|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Raju's mother give him to settle his debt?
2. Where was Raju's creditor from?
3. What was Marco's view of Rosie's passion?
4. Where was Raju in the beginning of Chapter 10?
5. What did Raju gain by being associated with Nalini's career?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Raju's perception of the world changing?
2. What caused Raju to focus on Rosie and how did that cause the character to unravel?
3. Why did Raju keep the letter about the jewelry from Nalini?
4. As Nalini continued to manage her career, what did Raju learn about her as a person and in relation to the men in her lives?
5. Who called Raju "a humble humanitarian" and why?
6. What caused Raju to lose his friendship with the driver? How did he know it was over?
7. How do all of the discussions in the village link together in Chapter 6?
8. After Marco and Rosie's fight, how did the relationship between Rosie and Raju change?
9. How did Raju's demeanor change while he was involved with Rosie?
10. What message does Raju attempt to send to the villagers through Velan's relative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Velan an integral piece in Raju's transformation? Cite three examples from the text and explain how they show Velan's importance.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Rosie's complex feelings toward Marco. Why were her feelings towards him ever changing? What influenced her mood toward him?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the reaction from the Indian Government to Raju's physical condition through the strike. Given the conditions of the village and the purpose of the strike, what is important about the reaction?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)