|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new nickname does Raju earn from the villagers?
2. Why does Raju change his reaction to the gifts at this point from how he responded in the beginning of the novel?
3. What did Raju's mother give him to settle his debt?
4. What new name did they choose for the dancer?
5. How long does Velan suggest Raju fast?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, how long has Raju been at the temple?
2. What message does Raju attempt to send to the villagers through Velan's relative?
3. How did Raju feel about the visitors that Nalini would entertain?
4. What did Raju do to prepare for the men from the local school? What did this reveal about Raju?
5. Why did Raju have a hard time emotionally with not being able to please Rosie constantly?
6. How did Raju's demeanor change while he was involved with Rosie?
7. Why did Nalini dance for the men from the local school?
8. How did Raju view his role in Nalini's career?
9. What caused Raju to lose his friendship with the driver? How did he know it was over?
10. How did Raju force Nalini to spend her days during her dancing career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Rosie and Nalini. In what ways did Raju's presence help in the transformation of Rosie? How did his absence assist in the transformation of Nalini?
Essay Topic 2
What power did Raju derive from Nalini? How did he try to capitalize on this power? In what ways was he both successful and unsuccessful?
Essay Topic 3
What changes can be observed in Raju's feelings for the villagers? Cite examples from the text to support the changes you observe. What rationale lies behind the changes in Raju's feelings toward the villagers?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)