|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new nickname does Raju earn from the villagers?
2. Who is injured in the clash with the shopkeeper?
3. What sentence did Raju receive at his trial?
4. How did Rosie feel about the way she was behaving behind Marco's back?
5. What new habit did Raju take up during Nalini's career?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Raju do to prepare for the men from the local school? What did this reveal about Raju?
2. Describe how Raju used Rosie as a prop once she became Nalini.
3. How is Raju's perception of the world changing?
4. How did Raju feel about the visitors that Nalini would entertain?
5. How did Raju's demeanor change while he was involved with Rosie?
6. How did Raju react when his mother and Nalini both moved on without him?
7. What did Raju propose he and Rosie do about her career?
8. How is Raju's message to the village misinterpreted?
9. Why did Raju keep the letter about the jewelry from Nalini?
10. In Chapter 6, how long has Raju been at the temple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Raju view his father as a business man? What clues from the text support your answer? How did his view of his father affect his relationship with his mother? Why is this so?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, how did Raju compare to his father in terms of business? What were their similarities and differences? In the end, who was the better business man and why?
Essay Topic 3
What power did Raju derive from Nalini? How did he try to capitalize on this power? In what ways was he both successful and unsuccessful?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)