|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who convinced Marco to stay when he and Rosie were arguing?
2. What did the young man at the railway shop call Raju?
3. After leaving Raju's mother's home, where did Raju and Nalini live?
4. How did Raju manage Nalini's career?
5. What did Raju pay to his lawyer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Raju feel about being replaced as Nalini's manager?
2. Why did Raju keep the letter about the jewelry from Nalini?
3. What caused Raju to focus on Rosie and how did that cause the character to unravel?
4. What did Raju propose he and Rosie do about her career?
5. How did Raju's demeanor change while he was involved with Rosie?
6. How is Raju's message to the village misinterpreted?
7. Why did Nalini dance for the men from the local school?
8. How did Raju force Nalini to spend her days during her dancing career?
9. Who called Raju "a humble humanitarian" and why?
10. How is Raju's perception of the world changing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, how did Raju compare to his father in terms of business? What were their similarities and differences? In the end, who was the better business man and why?
Essay Topic 2
Why is it significant that Velan also fasted on alternate days during the hunger strike? Why would he feel compelled to do this? What does this reveal about Velan's character?
Essay Topic 3
How did Raju's gift to constantly meet everyone's needs help him to get ahead in life? In what ways did it hold him back? What made him unable to say "no" to others?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)