|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Raju manage Nalini's career?
2. How do the new conditions in the village affect Raju's gifts?
3. Who disliked the time Raju and Rosie spent together?
4. Who is injured in the clash with the shopkeeper?
5. As Raju prepared for court, what did Nalini promise him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Raju propose he and Rosie do about her career?
2. In Chapter 6, how long has Raju been at the temple?
3. How did Raju feel about being replaced as Nalini's manager?
4. How did Raju view his role in Nalini's career?
5. How did Raju feel about the visitors that Nalini would entertain?
6. What caused Raju to focus on Rosie and how did that cause the character to unravel?
7. As Nalini continued to manage her career, what did Raju learn about her as a person and in relation to the men in her lives?
8. How is Raju's message to the village misinterpreted?
9. How did Raju's demeanor change while he was involved with Rosie?
10. How did Raju force Nalini to spend her days during her dancing career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the reaction from the Indian Government to Raju's physical condition through the strike. Given the conditions of the village and the purpose of the strike, what is important about the reaction?
Essay Topic 2
How did Raju's main character flaw, his preoccupation with reputation, lead the course of his life? Identify and defend the major areas of the novel where Raju had the ability to keep his life on track if he were not so consumed with reputation. In these various instances, why was Raju unable to learn his lesson? What caused Raju to finally see beyond himself?
Essay Topic 3
Rosie and Raju both approached their affair with different ambitions and desires. What were their desires and how did they differ? How did they change throughout the novel? What could the reader learn about each character and his or her development based on the changing ambitions and desires?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)