|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Raju say should attempt a hunger strike to return the rains?
2. Who suggested Rosie move into Raju's home?
3. What did Rosie study?
4. What did Nalini discover when she visited the person Raju sent her to see?
5. How do the new conditions in the village affect Raju's gifts?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Raju feel about being replaced as Nalini's manager?
2. Why did Raju keep the letter about the jewelry from Nalini?
3. How did Raju view his role in Nalini's career?
4. What did Raju propose he and Rosie do about her career?
5. How is Raju's message to the village misinterpreted?
6. How do all of the discussions in the village link together in Chapter 6?
7. How did Raju feel about the visitors that Nalini would entertain?
8. Why did Nalini dance for the men from the local school?
9. As Nalini continued to manage her career, what did Raju learn about her as a person and in relation to the men in her lives?
10. Why did Raju have a hard time emotionally with not being able to please Rosie constantly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What purpose does it serve for the author to continually switch tense and perspective in the narrative? If the author were to use only one perspective through the entire novel, which would be most effective and why? What information would the reader no longer be privy to if the author followed your suggestion?
Essay Topic 2
Why is it significant that Velan also fasted on alternate days during the hunger strike? Why would he feel compelled to do this? What does this reveal about Velan's character?
Essay Topic 3
What changes can be observed in Raju's feelings for the villagers? Cite examples from the text to support the changes you observe. What rationale lies behind the changes in Raju's feelings toward the villagers?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)