|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the villagers to be angry with the shopkeeper?
2. How did Raju interact with his fellow inmates?
3. How does Raju keep track of time at the temple?
4. How did Raju propose raising money to pay the creditor?
5. Who did Raju tell Nalini to visit when she met with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Raju feel about the visitors that Nalini would entertain?
2. How did Raju's demeanor change while he was involved with Rosie?
3. Why did Raju's life unravel in Chapter 7?
4. In Chapter 6, how long has Raju been at the temple?
5. What paradox is at play in Chapter 6?
6. How do all of the discussions in the village link together in Chapter 6?
7. How did Raju view his role in Nalini's career?
8. What did Raju propose he and Rosie do about her career?
9. What caused Raju to lose his friendship with the driver? How did he know it was over?
10. Why did Raju have a hard time emotionally with not being able to please Rosie constantly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, how did Raju compare to his father in terms of business? What were their similarities and differences? In the end, who was the better business man and why?
Essay Topic 2
What power did Raju derive from Nalini? How did he try to capitalize on this power? In what ways was he both successful and unsuccessful?
Essay Topic 3
Rosie and Raju both approached their affair with different ambitions and desires. What were their desires and how did they differ? How did they change throughout the novel? What could the reader learn about each character and his or her development based on the changing ambitions and desires?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)