|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new name did they choose for the dancer?
2. What did the young man at the railway shop call Raju?
3. What happens to the cattle when the village conditions change?
4. Where did Raju stay in relation to Marco and Rosie?
5. How long does Velan suggest Raju fast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Raju propose he and Rosie do about her career?
2. Why did Nalini dance for the men from the local school?
3. How do all of the discussions in the village link together in Chapter 6?
4. Why did Raju keep the letter about the jewelry from Nalini?
5. What message does Raju attempt to send to the villagers through Velan's relative?
6. How is Raju's perception of the world changing?
7. What paradox is at play in Chapter 6?
8. Why did Raju have a hard time emotionally with not being able to please Rosie constantly?
9. When Rosie returned to Raju, why was that not enough for him to straighten out his life?
10. How is Raju's message to the village misinterpreted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Rosie's complex feelings toward Marco. Why were her feelings towards him ever changing? What influenced her mood toward him?
Essay Topic 2
How did Raju's gift to constantly meet everyone's needs help him to get ahead in life? In what ways did it hold him back? What made him unable to say "no" to others?
Essay Topic 3
Rosie and Raju both approached their affair with different ambitions and desires. What were their desires and how did they differ? How did they change throughout the novel? What could the reader learn about each character and his or her development based on the changing ambitions and desires?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)