|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Raju interact with his fellow inmates?
2. Why does Raju change his reaction to the gifts at this point from how he responded in the beginning of the novel?
3. Who suggested Rosie move into Raju's home?
4. What causes the villagers to be angry with the shopkeeper?
5. Who disliked the time Raju and Rosie spent together?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Raju view his role in Nalini's career?
2. Besides starting Rosie's dancing career, why was her name change significant?
3. How did Raju feel about the visitors that Nalini would entertain?
4. What paradox is at play in Chapter 6?
5. How did Raju's demeanor change while he was involved with Rosie?
6. Why did Raju keep the letter about the jewelry from Nalini?
7. What caused Raju to focus on Rosie and how did that cause the character to unravel?
8. How do all of the discussions in the village link together in Chapter 6?
9. Why did Raju have a hard time emotionally with not being able to please Rosie constantly?
10. In Chapter 6, how long has Raju been at the temple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rosie and Raju both approached their affair with different ambitions and desires. What were their desires and how did they differ? How did they change throughout the novel? What could the reader learn about each character and his or her development based on the changing ambitions and desires?
Essay Topic 2
How did Raju view his father as a business man? What clues from the text support your answer? How did his view of his father affect his relationship with his mother? Why is this so?
Essay Topic 3
How does the temple represent freedom for Raju? In what ways does it act as a cage? How do the villagers add to both of these scenarios?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)