|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Raju do with the gifts that the villagers continue to bring him?
2. What new habit did Raju take up during Nalini's career?
3. Where did Raju get his glasses?
4. Who replaced Raju in Nalini's business?
5. How much of a loan did Raju hope to secure?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Raju keep the letter about the jewelry from Nalini?
2. In Chapter 6, how long has Raju been at the temple?
3. How did Raju react when his mother and Nalini both moved on without him?
4. Why did Raju have a hard time emotionally with not being able to please Rosie constantly?
5. How did Raju force Nalini to spend her days during her dancing career?
6. How is Raju's message to the village misinterpreted?
7. How did Raju view his role in Nalini's career?
8. Describe how Raju used Rosie as a prop once she became Nalini.
9. When Rosie returned to Raju, why was that not enough for him to straighten out his life?
10. Who called Raju "a humble humanitarian" and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Raju view his father as a business man? What clues from the text support your answer? How did his view of his father affect his relationship with his mother? Why is this so?
Essay Topic 2
What purpose does it serve for the author to continually switch tense and perspective in the narrative? If the author were to use only one perspective through the entire novel, which would be most effective and why? What information would the reader no longer be privy to if the author followed your suggestion?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Velan an integral piece in Raju's transformation? Cite three examples from the text and explain how they show Velan's importance.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)