|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role did Raju's uncle play in the family?
2. How did the relationship between Rosie and Raju change?
3. Who offers Raju an update on the village violence?
4. How successful was Nalini at launching her new career?
5. How did Rosie feel about the way she was behaving behind Marco's back?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Nalini continued to manage her career, what did Raju learn about her as a person and in relation to the men in her lives?
2. How is Raju's perception of the world changing?
3. What did Raju do to prepare for the men from the local school? What did this reveal about Raju?
4. Why did Nalini dance for the men from the local school?
5. How did Raju view his role in Nalini's career?
6. What did Raju propose he and Rosie do about her career?
7. How is Raju's message to the village misinterpreted?
8. Besides starting Rosie's dancing career, why was her name change significant?
9. In Chapter 6, how long has Raju been at the temple?
10. Who called Raju "a humble humanitarian" and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the crocodile a metaphor for the life of Raju? Identify and expand on at least three pieces of symbolism between the crocodile and Raju.
Essay Topic 2
How did Raju's main character flaw, his preoccupation with reputation, lead the course of his life? Identify and defend the major areas of the novel where Raju had the ability to keep his life on track if he were not so consumed with reputation. In these various instances, why was Raju unable to learn his lesson? What caused Raju to finally see beyond himself?
Essay Topic 3
What purpose does it serve for the author to continually switch tense and perspective in the narrative? If the author were to use only one perspective through the entire novel, which would be most effective and why? What information would the reader no longer be privy to if the author followed your suggestion?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)