|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Raju propose raising money to pay the creditor?
2. What was Raju's fate after he became preoccupied with Rosie?
3. Where did Raju get his glasses?
4. How did Raju manage Nalini's career?
5. Why did Nalini accuse Raju of being greedy?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Nalini continued to manage her career, what did Raju learn about her as a person and in relation to the men in her lives?
2. How do all of the discussions in the village link together in Chapter 6?
3. Describe how Raju used Rosie as a prop once she became Nalini.
4. What paradox is at play in Chapter 6?
5. How did Raju's demeanor change while he was involved with Rosie?
6. What did Raju propose he and Rosie do about her career?
7. Who called Raju "a humble humanitarian" and why?
8. Why did Raju's life unravel in Chapter 7?
9. What message does Raju attempt to send to the villagers through Velan's relative?
10. How did Raju view his role in Nalini's career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the crocodile a metaphor for the life of Raju? Identify and expand on at least three pieces of symbolism between the crocodile and Raju.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, how did Raju compare to his father in terms of business? What were their similarities and differences? In the end, who was the better business man and why?
Essay Topic 3
What purpose did Raju's uncle play in the novel? How did his interjection into Raju's life change the relationships Raju had with his mother and with Rosie? What gave Raju's uncle this power?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)