|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rosie study?
2. Velan's relative says Velan won't stop fighting until he has accomplished what goal?
3. Where was Raju in the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. What did the creditor threaten against Raju?
5. What did Nalini discover when she visited the person Raju sent her to see?
Short Essay Questions
1. What message does Raju attempt to send to the villagers through Velan's relative?
2. What caused Raju to focus on Rosie and how did that cause the character to unravel?
3. How did Raju feel about the visitors that Nalini would entertain?
4. Why did Raju keep the letter about the jewelry from Nalini?
5. How did Raju react when his mother and Nalini both moved on without him?
6. After Marco and Rosie's fight, how did the relationship between Rosie and Raju change?
7. How do all of the discussions in the village link together in Chapter 6?
8. Besides starting Rosie's dancing career, why was her name change significant?
9. What did Raju do to prepare for the men from the local school? What did this reveal about Raju?
10. When Rosie returned to Raju, why was that not enough for him to straighten out his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Rosie and Nalini. In what ways did Raju's presence help in the transformation of Rosie? How did his absence assist in the transformation of Nalini?
Essay Topic 2
Rosie and Raju both approached their affair with different ambitions and desires. What were their desires and how did they differ? How did they change throughout the novel? What could the reader learn about each character and his or her development based on the changing ambitions and desires?
Essay Topic 3
How did Raju's obsession with Rosie/Nalini change over time? What motives launched his obsession? What continued to motivate his obsession in the late stages of their relationship? What caused the change in dynamics?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)