|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Raju's creditor?
2. What does Raju tell the villagers to do about the new conditions in the village?
3. Where was Raju's creditor from?
4. During the course of Nalini's career, what was Raju doing and justifying that upset Nalini?
5. Where did Nalini live at the end of Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What paradox is at play in Chapter 6?
2. How did Raju force Nalini to spend her days during her dancing career?
3. How is Raju's perception of the world changing?
4. How did Raju's demeanor change while he was involved with Rosie?
5. What did Raju do to prepare for the men from the local school? What did this reveal about Raju?
6. In Chapter 6, how long has Raju been at the temple?
7. When Rosie returned to Raju, why was that not enough for him to straighten out his life?
8. What message does Raju attempt to send to the villagers through Velan's relative?
9. Why did Nalini dance for the men from the local school?
10. Besides starting Rosie's dancing career, why was her name change significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Raju's obsession with Rosie/Nalini change over time? What motives launched his obsession? What continued to motivate his obsession in the late stages of their relationship? What caused the change in dynamics?
Essay Topic 2
What power did Raju derive from Nalini? How did he try to capitalize on this power? In what ways was he both successful and unsuccessful?
Essay Topic 3
How did Raju's gift to constantly meet everyone's needs help him to get ahead in life? In what ways did it hold him back? What made him unable to say "no" to others?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)