|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Velan suggest Raju fast?
2. How did Raju spend his days?
3. Where did Raju's mother move in Chapter 8?
4. Where was Raju's creditor from?
5. What did Raju lose track of while spending time with Rosie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Raju feel about the visitors that Nalini would entertain?
2. How is Raju's message to the village misinterpreted?
3. Why did Raju's life unravel in Chapter 7?
4. What caused Raju to lose his friendship with the driver? How did he know it was over?
5. After Marco and Rosie's fight, how did the relationship between Rosie and Raju change?
6. As Nalini continued to manage her career, what did Raju learn about her as a person and in relation to the men in her lives?
7. What caused Raju to focus on Rosie and how did that cause the character to unravel?
8. What did Raju do to prepare for the men from the local school? What did this reveal about Raju?
9. How did Raju react when his mother and Nalini both moved on without him?
10. What did Raju propose he and Rosie do about her career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What purpose does it serve for the author to continually switch tense and perspective in the narrative? If the author were to use only one perspective through the entire novel, which would be most effective and why? What information would the reader no longer be privy to if the author followed your suggestion?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Rosie and Nalini. In what ways did Raju's presence help in the transformation of Rosie? How did his absence assist in the transformation of Nalini?
Essay Topic 3
How did Raju's main character flaw, his preoccupation with reputation, lead the course of his life? Identify and defend the major areas of the novel where Raju had the ability to keep his life on track if he were not so consumed with reputation. In these various instances, why was Raju unable to learn his lesson? What caused Raju to finally see beyond himself?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)