|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Nalini live at the end of Chapter 10?
2. After leaving Raju's mother's home, where did Raju and Nalini live?
3. How did the men from the school respond to the dance?
4. What was Marco's view of Rosie's passion?
5. How did Raju's mother respond to giving him the gift to pay off his debt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What paradox is at play in Chapter 6?
2. Describe how Raju used Rosie as a prop once she became Nalini.
3. How is Raju's message to the village misinterpreted?
4. When Rosie returned to Raju, why was that not enough for him to straighten out his life?
5. Why did Raju have a hard time emotionally with not being able to please Rosie constantly?
6. What caused Raju to lose his friendship with the driver? How did he know it was over?
7. How did Raju force Nalini to spend her days during her dancing career?
8. Besides starting Rosie's dancing career, why was her name change significant?
9. How did Raju feel about the visitors that Nalini would entertain?
10. Why did Nalini dance for the men from the local school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, how did Raju compare to his father in terms of business? What were their similarities and differences? In the end, who was the better business man and why?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Velan an integral piece in Raju's transformation? Cite three examples from the text and explain how they show Velan's importance.
Essay Topic 3
How did Raju's gift to constantly meet everyone's needs help him to get ahead in life? In what ways did it hold him back? What made him unable to say "no" to others?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)