|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new nickname does Raju earn from the villagers?
2. After leaving Raju's mother's home, where did Raju and Nalini live?
3. Who replaced Raju in Nalini's business?
4. What did Raju lose track of while spending time with Rosie?
5. How did Raju propose raising money to pay the creditor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Raju feel about the visitors that Nalini would entertain?
2. How is Raju's perception of the world changing?
3. How did Raju view his role in Nalini's career?
4. What caused Raju to lose his friendship with the driver? How did he know it was over?
5. When Rosie returned to Raju, why was that not enough for him to straighten out his life?
6. Why did Raju's life unravel in Chapter 7?
7. Who called Raju "a humble humanitarian" and why?
8. How did Raju react when his mother and Nalini both moved on without him?
9. What did Raju propose he and Rosie do about her career?
10. What did Raju do to prepare for the men from the local school? What did this reveal about Raju?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Velan an integral piece in Raju's transformation? Cite three examples from the text and explain how they show Velan's importance.
Essay Topic 2
What purpose did Raju's uncle play in the novel? How did his interjection into Raju's life change the relationships Raju had with his mother and with Rosie? What gave Raju's uncle this power?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Marco and Raju. In the areas of work, love, reputation and Rosie/Nalini's life, how were they similar and different?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)