|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Raju's mother give him to settle his debt?
2. Where was Raju's creditor from?
3. How long does Velan suggest Raju fast?
4. What task did Raju take on in prison?
5. How much time passed before Rosie returned to Raju?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Raju force Nalini to spend her days during her dancing career?
2. Who called Raju "a humble humanitarian" and why?
3. How do all of the discussions in the village link together in Chapter 6?
4. What paradox is at play in Chapter 6?
5. Why did Raju have a hard time emotionally with not being able to please Rosie constantly?
6. How did Raju view his role in Nalini's career?
7. How did Raju react when his mother and Nalini both moved on without him?
8. After Marco and Rosie's fight, how did the relationship between Rosie and Raju change?
9. What caused Raju to lose his friendship with the driver? How did he know it was over?
10. Why did Raju's life unravel in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Raju's gift to constantly meet everyone's needs help him to get ahead in life? In what ways did it hold him back? What made him unable to say "no" to others?
Essay Topic 2
How is the crocodile a metaphor for the life of Raju? Identify and expand on at least three pieces of symbolism between the crocodile and Raju.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the reaction from the Indian Government to Raju's physical condition through the strike. Given the conditions of the village and the purpose of the strike, what is important about the reaction?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)