|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gave Raju his nickname?
2. Where did Raju focus his attention for the business after his father passed?
3. Why did Raju like his new job?
4. What was Raju's punishment from his father?
5. How did Raju's mother feel about his new job?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the groom left with the jutka, what did Raju's parents discover?
2. How does the structure of the writing style in Chapter 1 portray the inner workings of the protagonist's mind?
3. Why was Raju given his nickname at the railway?
4. Why did Raju justify that his behavior towards his clients was okay?
5. What role did the railway play in Raju's family?
6. What is the source of Velan's admiration in Chapter 2?
7. Why is it paradoxical that Raju encourages education for the village children?
8. Why did Raju say he didn't grow up like other normal people?
9. How does Raju advance his character's transformation in Chapter 4?
10. Why does Velan defend his out of town visit early in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What changes can be observed in Raju's feelings for the villagers? Cite examples from the text to support the changes you observe. What rationale lies behind the changes in Raju's feelings toward the villagers?
Essay Topic 2
Rosie and Raju both approached their affair with different ambitions and desires. What were their desires and how did they differ? How did they change throughout the novel? What could the reader learn about each character and his or her development based on the changing ambitions and desires?
Essay Topic 3
How did Raju view his father as a business man? What clues from the text support your answer? How did his view of his father affect his relationship with his mother? Why is this so?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)