|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Raju's new job pay?
2. What is said to be hiding in the river?
3. What activity does Raju think classifies him as "night guide to the skies"?
4. Who does Raju request be sent to the temple?
5. Who do the children convince to accompany them to the temple?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Raju say he didn't grow up like other normal people?
2. How does Raju initially regard the other villagers?
3. Why does Velan defend his out of town visit early in Chapter 1?
4. How were Raju's business tactics influenced by his father?
5. What transpired between Raju and Rosie in Chapter 5?
6. What does Malgudi represent for Raju?
7. What are Raju's fears when the villagers don't show?
8. Why was Raju given his nickname at the railway?
9. How is education viewed up through Chapter 3 of the novel?
10. After the groom left with the jutka, what did Raju's parents discover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Marco and Raju. In the areas of work, love, reputation and Rosie/Nalini's life, how were they similar and different?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Rosie's complex feelings toward Marco. Why were her feelings towards him ever changing? What influenced her mood toward him?
Essay Topic 3
Rosie and Raju both approached their affair with different ambitions and desires. What were their desires and how did they differ? How did they change throughout the novel? What could the reader learn about each character and his or her development based on the changing ambitions and desires?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)