|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which perspective is used to tell the story at the beginning of Chapter 4?
2. Who does Velan's sister agree to marry?
3. What nickname did Raju have at the railway?
4. What job at the railway did Raju inherit in Chapter 3?
5. Who does Raju speak to at the beginning of Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Raju advance his character's transformation in Chapter 4?
2. How did the barber deduce information about Raju's life?
3. How is education viewed up through Chapter 3 of the novel?
4. How do the villagers regard Raju?
5. What is revealed about Raju's personality by the fact that he asked the school master to teach at the temple?
6. Why did customers recommend Raju as a top notch guide?
7. How was Raju always able to offer his customers an answer?
8. What are Raju's fears when the villagers don't show?
9. How did Raju's skills as a guide enter into his relationship with Rosie?
10. Why was it significant that the author had Raju's father die in the rainy season?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What power did Raju derive from Nalini? How did he try to capitalize on this power? In what ways was he both successful and unsuccessful?
Essay Topic 2
Why is it significant that Velan also fasted on alternate days during the hunger strike? Why would he feel compelled to do this? What does this reveal about Velan's character?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Velan an integral piece in Raju's transformation? Cite three examples from the text and explain how they show Velan's importance.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)