|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Raju offer the boy by the river?
2. What business decision did Raju make after his father passed?
3. What is said to be hiding in the river?
4. What does Velan give Raju in appreciation of helping his sister?
5. What did Rosie request to see on her trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Velan respond the way he does to hearing the truth about Raju?
2. What does Malgudi represent for Raju?
3. How did Raju force Nalini to spend her days during her dancing career?
4. How did Raju's demeanor change while he was involved with Rosie?
5. Why did Raju have a hard time emotionally with not being able to please Rosie constantly?
6. Why did Raju keep the letter about the jewelry from Nalini?
7. How did Raju feel about being replaced as Nalini's manager?
8. How do all of the discussions in the village link together in Chapter 6?
9. How did Raju feel about the visitors that Nalini would entertain?
10. When Rosie returned to Raju, why was that not enough for him to straighten out his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What changes can be observed in Raju's feelings for the villagers? Cite examples from the text to support the changes you observe. What rationale lies behind the changes in Raju's feelings toward the villagers?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Marco and Raju. In the areas of work, love, reputation and Rosie/Nalini's life, how were they similar and different?
Essay Topic 3
What power did Raju derive from Nalini? How did he try to capitalize on this power? In what ways was he both successful and unsuccessful?
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)