Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What business decision did Raju make after his father passed?
2. What activity did Raju and his father share?
3. Why will the children not go to the temple?
4. What does the term "pyol" mean?
5. How did Raju's mother feel about his new job?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Rosie returned to Raju, why was that not enough for him to straighten out his life?
2. How is education viewed up through Chapter 3 of the novel?
3. How did the train station mirror Raju's life?
4. Why did customers recommend Raju as a top notch guide?
5. How does Raju advance his character's transformation in Chapter 4?
6. Why does Raju avoid Velan's sister's wedding?
7. What paradox is at play in Chapter 6?
8. Why did Raju keep the letter about the jewelry from Nalini?
9. How did Raju view his role in Nalini's career?
10. How did Raju force Nalini to spend her days during her dancing career?
Essay Topic 1
Explain Rosie's complex feelings toward Marco. Why were her feelings towards him ever changing? What influenced her mood toward him?
Essay Topic 2
How did Raju's gift to constantly meet everyone's needs help him to get ahead in life? In what ways did it hold him back? What made him unable to say "no" to others?
Essay Topic 3
Rosie and Raju both approached their affair with different ambitions and desires. What were their desires and how did they differ? How did they change throughout the novel? What could the reader learn about each character and his or her development based on the changing ambitions and desires?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)