|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Raju request be sent to the temple?
2. What does the barber deduce about Raju?
3. What is a jutka?
4. What was the groom's excuse when he didn't pay Raju's father?
5. What nickname did Raju have at the railway?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Raju initially regard the other villagers?
2. How was Raju always able to offer his customers an answer?
3. How did the train station mirror Raju's life?
4. Why was Raju given his nickname at the railway?
5. How did the barber deduce information about Raju's life?
6. How is education viewed up through Chapter 3 of the novel?
7. How does Raju justify staying on at the temple?
8. Why did Raju say he didn't grow up like other normal people?
9. What does Malgudi represent for Raju?
10. How does Raju advance his character's transformation in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Raju's gift to constantly meet everyone's needs help him to get ahead in life? In what ways did it hold him back? What made him unable to say "no" to others?
Essay Topic 2
What purpose does it serve for the author to continually switch tense and perspective in the narrative? If the author were to use only one perspective through the entire novel, which would be most effective and why? What information would the reader no longer be privy to if the author followed your suggestion?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Velan an integral piece in Raju's transformation? Cite three examples from the text and explain how they show Velan's importance.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)