|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Raju's school master request in addition to money?
2. How many trains entered the railway station daily?
3. Who gave Raju his nickname?
4. How did Raju's father treat the station master?
5. Why will the children not go to the temple?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Velan defend his out of town visit early in Chapter 1?
2. How were Raju's business tactics influenced by his father?
3. What is the source of Velan's admiration in Chapter 2?
4. What is revealed about Raju's personality by the fact that he asked the school master to teach at the temple?
5. How was Raju always able to offer his customers an answer?
6. How does Raju advance his character's transformation in Chapter 4?
7. How does the structure of the writing style in Chapter 1 portray the inner workings of the protagonist's mind?
8. What transpired between Raju and Rosie in Chapter 5?
9. How does Raju justify staying on at the temple?
10. Why did customers recommend Raju as a top notch guide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Rosie's complex feelings toward Marco. Why were her feelings towards him ever changing? What influenced her mood toward him?
Essay Topic 2
Rosie and Raju both approached their affair with different ambitions and desires. What were their desires and how did they differ? How did they change throughout the novel? What could the reader learn about each character and his or her development based on the changing ambitions and desires?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Raju go on a hunger strike even after telling Velan the truth about who he is? How does this help perpetuate the transformation in Raju?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)