|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Raju like his new job?
2. What is a jutka?
3. What job did Raju take on in Chapter 5?
4. How many trains entered the railway station daily?
5. Before joining Raju on the steps of the temple, what does Velan do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What raised Marco's estimation of Raju?
2. How did the barber deduce information about Raju's life?
3. Why was it significant that the author had Raju's father die in the rainy season?
4. How did Raju's skills as a guide enter into his relationship with Rosie?
5. How does Raju initially regard the other villagers?
6. What does Malgudi represent for Raju?
7. Why did Raju justify that his behavior towards his clients was okay?
8. What role did the railway play in Raju's family?
9. Why did Raju say he didn't grow up like other normal people?
10. How did the progress at the railway affect Raju's father's business?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the crocodile a metaphor for the life of Raju? Identify and expand on at least three pieces of symbolism between the crocodile and Raju.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the reaction from the Indian Government to Raju's physical condition through the strike. Given the conditions of the village and the purpose of the strike, what is important about the reaction?
Essay Topic 3
How does the temple represent freedom for Raju? In what ways does it act as a cage? How do the villagers add to both of these scenarios?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)