|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Raju and Marco meet?
2. What does the boy at the temple leave behind with Raju?
3. Where did Raju's father work?
4. Where is Raju hiding when the villagers stop by the temple?
5. What industrial progress was finally made in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the groom left with the jutka, what did Raju's parents discover?
2. What does Malgudi represent for Raju?
3. Why does Raju decide he has to stay at the temple?
4. Why is it paradoxical that Raju encourages education for the village children?
5. What are Raju's fears when the villagers don't show?
6. Why did Raju justify that his behavior towards his clients was okay?
7. What raised Marco's estimation of Raju?
8. What role did the railway play in Raju's family?
9. Why did Raju say he didn't grow up like other normal people?
10. How did the progress at the railway affect Raju's father's business?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Raju's gift to constantly meet everyone's needs help him to get ahead in life? In what ways did it hold him back? What made him unable to say "no" to others?
Essay Topic 2
What power did Raju derive from Nalini? How did he try to capitalize on this power? In what ways was he both successful and unsuccessful?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Velan an integral piece in Raju's transformation? Cite three examples from the text and explain how they show Velan's importance.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)