|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kept Raju's father from returning for dinner nightly when Raju was young?
2. What did Raju's father purchase to go with the jutka?
3. What was Raju's punishment from his father?
4. Why did Raju like his new job?
5. How does Raju propose solving the problem of educating the children?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Raju's skills as a guide enter into his relationship with Rosie?
2. How does Raju advance his character's transformation in Chapter 4?
3. Why was Raju given his nickname at the railway?
4. What is the source of Velan's admiration in Chapter 2?
5. What role did the railway play in Raju's family?
6. How did the train station mirror Raju's life?
7. How does Raju justify staying on at the temple?
8. How did the barber deduce information about Raju's life?
9. Why was it significant that the author had Raju's father die in the rainy season?
10. Why is Raju able to separate himself from the truth when dealing with others?
Essay Topic 1
What possible conclusions can be drawn from the end of the book? How will those present at the end, namely Raju, Velan, the villagers, and the film producer, be changed by the final events? Support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
How does the temple represent freedom for Raju? In what ways does it act as a cage? How do the villagers add to both of these scenarios?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the reaction from the Indian Government to Raju's physical condition through the strike. Given the conditions of the village and the purpose of the strike, what is important about the reaction?
This section contains 1,430 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)