|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What business decision did Raju make after his father passed?
2. What activity did Raju and his father share?
3. Why will the children not go to the temple?
4. What does the term "pyol" mean?
5. How did Raju's mother feel about his new job?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Rosie returned to Raju, why was that not enough for him to straighten out his life?
2. How is education viewed up through Chapter 3 of the novel?
3. How did the train station mirror Raju's life?
4. Why did customers recommend Raju as a top notch guide?
5. How does Raju advance his character's transformation in Chapter 4?
6. Why does Raju avoid Velan's sister's wedding?
7. What paradox is at play in Chapter 6?
8. Why did Raju keep the letter about the jewelry from Nalini?
9. How did Raju view his role in Nalini's career?
10. How did Raju force Nalini to spend her days during her dancing career?
Essay Topic 1
What purpose did Raju's uncle play in the novel? How did his interjection into Raju's life change the relationships Raju had with his mother and with Rosie? What gave Raju's uncle this power?
Essay Topic 2
How did Raju's main character flaw, his preoccupation with reputation, lead the course of his life? Identify and defend the major areas of the novel where Raju had the ability to keep his life on track if he were not so consumed with reputation. In these various instances, why was Raju unable to learn his lesson? What caused Raju to finally see beyond himself?
Essay Topic 3
What power did Raju derive from Nalini? How did he try to capitalize on this power? In what ways was he both successful and unsuccessful?
This section contains 1,357 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)