|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Marco stay for the remainder of his trip?
2. Why does Raju stop Velan from bowing before he leaves?
3. What is a jutka?
4. Why will the children not go to the temple?
5. Before joining Raju on the steps of the temple, what does Velan do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Raju advance his character's transformation in Chapter 4?
2. As Nalini continued to manage her career, what did Raju learn about her as a person and in relation to the men in her lives?
3. After Marco and Rosie's fight, how did the relationship between Rosie and Raju change?
4. Why was Raju given his nickname at the railway?
5. How is education viewed up through Chapter 3 of the novel?
6. What caused Raju to focus on Rosie and how did that cause the character to unravel?
7. What raised Marco's estimation of Raju?
8. Why was it significant that the author had Raju's father die in the rainy season?
9. What does Raju attempt to do at the end of the book in spite of the pain it causes?
10. Besides starting Rosie's dancing career, why was her name change significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the temple represent freedom for Raju? In what ways does it act as a cage? How do the villagers add to both of these scenarios?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Velan an integral piece in Raju's transformation? Cite three examples from the text and explain how they show Velan's importance.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Marco and Raju. In the areas of work, love, reputation and Rosie/Nalini's life, how were they similar and different?
This section contains 1,327 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)