|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is looking for Raju at the end of Chapter 2?
2. Who entered Raju's father's shop at the beginning of Chapter 2?
3. What did Raju begin selling in the railway shop?
4. What did Raju's father get permission to do at the railway?
5. What industrial progress was finally made in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were Raju's business tactics influenced by his father?
2. What raised Marco's estimation of Raju?
3. Why is Raju able to separate himself from the truth when dealing with others?
4. After the groom left with the jutka, what did Raju's parents discover?
5. How did the train station mirror Raju's life?
6. What is the source of Velan's admiration in Chapter 2?
7. What role did the railway play in Raju's family?
8. How did Raju's skills as a guide enter into his relationship with Rosie?
9. Why does Velan defend his out of town visit early in Chapter 1?
10. Why is it paradoxical that Raju encourages education for the village children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, how did Raju compare to his father in terms of business? What were their similarities and differences? In the end, who was the better business man and why?
Essay Topic 2
What power did Raju derive from Nalini? How did he try to capitalize on this power? In what ways was he both successful and unsuccessful?
Essay Topic 3
How did Raju's gift to constantly meet everyone's needs help him to get ahead in life? In what ways did it hold him back? What made him unable to say "no" to others?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)