|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a jutka?
2. What does Raju do with the gift Velan gives him as an offering?
3. Why was Raju angry with the boy by the railway?
4. Who does Raju request be sent to the temple?
5. What does Velan offer Raju when he returns to the temple?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Raju do to prepare for the men from the local school? What did this reveal about Raju?
2. How do the villagers regard Raju?
3. How did Raju react when his mother and Nalini both moved on without him?
4. How did Raju's skills as a guide enter into his relationship with Rosie?
5. How did the progress at the railway affect Raju's father's business?
6. What is the source of Velan's admiration in Chapter 2?
7. What does Raju attempt to do at the end of the book in spite of the pain it causes?
8. What transpired between Raju and Rosie in Chapter 5?
9. How did the train station mirror Raju's life?
10. How did Raju feel about the visitors that Nalini would entertain?
Essay Topic 1
How did Raju's gift to constantly meet everyone's needs help him to get ahead in life? In what ways did it hold him back? What made him unable to say "no" to others?
Essay Topic 2
How did Raju view his father as a business man? What clues from the text support your answer? How did his view of his father affect his relationship with his mother? Why is this so?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Rosie's complex feelings toward Marco. Why were her feelings towards him ever changing? What influenced her mood toward him?
This section contains 1,393 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)