|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Raju and Velan meet, who does Velan say is causing him problems?
2. What is the name of Raju's love interest?
3. Why does Raju stop Velan from bowing before he leaves?
4. How did Raju assist his father with work?
5. When did Raju's father pass away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Raju have a hard time emotionally with not being able to please Rosie constantly?
2. What message does Raju attempt to send to the villagers through Velan's relative?
3. Why did customers recommend Raju as a top notch guide?
4. After Marco and Rosie's fight, how did the relationship between Rosie and Raju change?
5. Why is Raju able to separate himself from the truth when dealing with others?
6. How did the train station mirror Raju's life?
7. What caused Raju to focus on Rosie and how did that cause the character to unravel?
8. How is education viewed up through Chapter 3 of the novel?
9. Why does Velan defend his out of town visit early in Chapter 1?
10. Why does Velan respond the way he does to hearing the truth about Raju?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Rosie and Nalini. In what ways did Raju's presence help in the transformation of Rosie? How did his absence assist in the transformation of Nalini?
Essay Topic 2
What possible conclusions can be drawn from the end of the book? How will those present at the end, namely Raju, Velan, the villagers, and the film producer, be changed by the final events? Support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Why is Velan an integral piece in Raju's transformation? Cite three examples from the text and explain how they show Velan's importance.
This section contains 1,426 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)