|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Raju begin selling in the railway shop?
2. How did Raju's mother feel about his new job?
3. How much did the groom offer to pay Raju's father for the use of his equipment?
4. What is said to be hiding in the river?
5. Who did Raju become friends with at the beginning of Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the structure of the writing style in Chapter 1 portray the inner workings of the protagonist's mind?
2. After the groom left with the jutka, what did Raju's parents discover?
3. Why did Raju justify that his behavior towards his clients was okay?
4. What transpired between Raju and Rosie in Chapter 5?
5. How did the train station mirror Raju's life?
6. What role did the railway play in Raju's family?
7. How does Raju advance his character's transformation in Chapter 4?
8. How did Raju's skills as a guide enter into his relationship with Rosie?
9. Why was it significant that the author had Raju's father die in the rainy season?
10. What raised Marco's estimation of Raju?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the temple represent freedom for Raju? In what ways does it act as a cage? How do the villagers add to both of these scenarios?
Essay Topic 2
How did Raju's main character flaw, his preoccupation with reputation, lead the course of his life? Identify and defend the major areas of the novel where Raju had the ability to keep his life on track if he were not so consumed with reputation. In these various instances, why was Raju unable to learn his lesson? What caused Raju to finally see beyond himself?
Essay Topic 3
How is the crocodile a metaphor for the life of Raju? Identify and expand on at least three pieces of symbolism between the crocodile and Raju.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)