|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which perspective is used to tell the story at the beginning of Chapter 4?
2. What job did Raju take on in Chapter 5?
3. What services did Marco request?
4. How did Raju's mother describe their animals?
5. Who is looking for Raju at the end of Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the structure of the writing style in Chapter 1 portray the inner workings of the protagonist's mind?
2. Why did customers recommend Raju as a top notch guide?
3. What raised Marco's estimation of Raju?
4. How do the villagers regard Raju?
5. What transpired between Raju and Rosie in Chapter 5?
6. How did Raju's skills as a guide enter into his relationship with Rosie?
7. How did the barber deduce information about Raju's life?
8. Why did Raju justify that his behavior towards his clients was okay?
9. Why is it paradoxical that Raju encourages education for the village children?
10. How is education viewed up through Chapter 3 of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What purpose does it serve for the author to continually switch tense and perspective in the narrative? If the author were to use only one perspective through the entire novel, which would be most effective and why? What information would the reader no longer be privy to if the author followed your suggestion?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Marco and Raju. In the areas of work, love, reputation and Rosie/Nalini's life, how were they similar and different?
Essay Topic 3
What purpose did Raju's uncle play in the novel? How did his interjection into Raju's life change the relationships Raju had with his mother and with Rosie? What gave Raju's uncle this power?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)