|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the villagers not sending their children to school?
2. How did Raju's mother describe their animals?
3. How did Raju intervene between Rosie and Marco?
4. Before joining Raju on the steps of the temple, what does Velan do?
5. What did Raju's school master request in addition to money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it paradoxical that Raju encourages education for the village children?
2. How was Raju always able to offer his customers an answer?
3. Why was it significant that the author had Raju's father die in the rainy season?
4. How does Raju initially regard the other villagers?
5. How do the villagers regard Raju?
6. What raised Marco's estimation of Raju?
7. Why does Velan defend his out of town visit early in Chapter 1?
8. Why does Raju decide he has to stay at the temple?
9. How were Raju's business tactics influenced by his father?
10. How does the structure of the writing style in Chapter 1 portray the inner workings of the protagonist's mind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Raju go on a hunger strike even after telling Velan the truth about who he is? How does this help perpetuate the transformation in Raju?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Rosie and Nalini. In what ways did Raju's presence help in the transformation of Rosie? How did his absence assist in the transformation of Nalini?
Essay Topic 3
What purpose did Raju's uncle play in the novel? How did his interjection into Raju's life change the relationships Raju had with his mother and with Rosie? What gave Raju's uncle this power?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)