|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Raju stay involved with the villagers?
2. What did Raju begin selling in the railway shop?
3. How many trains entered the railway station daily?
4. What solution does the school master offer to the children's unwillingness to attend the temple?
5. Where did Raju focus his attention for the business after his father passed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Raju avoid Velan's sister's wedding?
2. As Nalini continued to manage her career, what did Raju learn about her as a person and in relation to the men in her lives?
3. How did Raju feel about being replaced as Nalini's manager?
4. Why did Raju keep the letter about the jewelry from Nalini?
5. Why does Velan defend his out of town visit early in Chapter 1?
6. How were Raju's business tactics influenced by his father?
7. What caused Raju to lose his friendship with the driver? How did he know it was over?
8. Besides starting Rosie's dancing career, why was her name change significant?
9. Why did Nalini dance for the men from the local school?
10. Why is Raju able to separate himself from the truth when dealing with others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Raju go on a hunger strike even after telling Velan the truth about who he is? How does this help perpetuate the transformation in Raju?
Essay Topic 2
What power did Raju derive from Nalini? How did he try to capitalize on this power? In what ways was he both successful and unsuccessful?
Essay Topic 3
How is the crocodile a metaphor for the life of Raju? Identify and expand on at least three pieces of symbolism between the crocodile and Raju.
This section contains 1,354 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)