|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before joining Raju on the steps of the temple, what does Velan do?
2. Where did Rosie and Marco stay?
3. How much did the groom offer to pay Raju's father for the use of his equipment?
4. How did Raju intervene between Rosie and Marco?
5. What did Raju and his classmates do with the drain at their teacher's home while he was away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Raju able to separate himself from the truth when dealing with others?
2. What is revealed about Raju's personality by the fact that he asked the school master to teach at the temple?
3. How was Raju always able to offer his customers an answer?
4. Why was it significant that the author had Raju's father die in the rainy season?
5. How do the villagers regard Raju?
6. What are Raju's fears when the villagers don't show?
7. Why is it paradoxical that Raju encourages education for the village children?
8. After the groom left with the jutka, what did Raju's parents discover?
9. Why was Raju given his nickname at the railway?
10. How is education viewed up through Chapter 3 of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the crocodile a metaphor for the life of Raju? Identify and expand on at least three pieces of symbolism between the crocodile and Raju.
Essay Topic 2
How did Raju's main character flaw, his preoccupation with reputation, lead the course of his life? Identify and defend the major areas of the novel where Raju had the ability to keep his life on track if he were not so consumed with reputation. In these various instances, why was Raju unable to learn his lesson? What caused Raju to finally see beyond himself?
Essay Topic 3
What purpose did Raju's uncle play in the novel? How did his interjection into Raju's life change the relationships Raju had with his mother and with Rosie? What gave Raju's uncle this power?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)