|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What solution does the school master offer to the children's unwillingness to attend the temple?
2. Who does Raju request be sent to the temple?
3. What does the barber deduce about Raju?
4. How did Raju assist his father with work?
5. What is said to be hiding in the river?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it significant that the author had Raju's father die in the rainy season?
2. What transpired between Raju and Rosie in Chapter 5?
3. How does Raju initially regard the other villagers?
4. What role did the railway play in Raju's family?
5. After the groom left with the jutka, what did Raju's parents discover?
6. Why did customers recommend Raju as a top notch guide?
7. Why did Raju say he didn't grow up like other normal people?
8. How were Raju's business tactics influenced by his father?
9. How was Raju always able to offer his customers an answer?
10. How do the villagers regard Raju?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Rosie's complex feelings toward Marco. Why were her feelings towards him ever changing? What influenced her mood toward him?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the reaction from the Indian Government to Raju's physical condition through the strike. Given the conditions of the village and the purpose of the strike, what is important about the reaction?
Essay Topic 3
How did Raju's main character flaw, his preoccupation with reputation, lead the course of his life? Identify and defend the major areas of the novel where Raju had the ability to keep his life on track if he were not so consumed with reputation. In these various instances, why was Raju unable to learn his lesson? What caused Raju to finally see beyond himself?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)