|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the barber deduce about Raju?
2. What life decision did Raju need to make in Chapter 3?
3. How did Raju intervene between Rosie and Marco?
4. How did Raju's father treat the station master?
5. Why does Raju stop Velan from bowing before he leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Velan defend his out of town visit early in Chapter 1?
2. How were Raju's business tactics influenced by his father?
3. How did the barber deduce information about Raju's life?
4. What does Malgudi represent for Raju?
5. How did Raju's skills as a guide enter into his relationship with Rosie?
6. What role did the railway play in Raju's family?
7. What is the source of Velan's admiration in Chapter 2?
8. How does the structure of the writing style in Chapter 1 portray the inner workings of the protagonist's mind?
9. What is revealed about Raju's personality by the fact that he asked the school master to teach at the temple?
10. Why does Raju decide he has to stay at the temple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Marco and Raju. In the areas of work, love, reputation and Rosie/Nalini's life, how were they similar and different?
Essay Topic 2
How is the crocodile a metaphor for the life of Raju? Identify and expand on at least three pieces of symbolism between the crocodile and Raju.
Essay Topic 3
How did Raju's gift to constantly meet everyone's needs help him to get ahead in life? In what ways did it hold him back? What made him unable to say "no" to others?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)