|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did the groom offer to pay Raju's father for the use of his equipment?
2. Where did Marco stay for the remainder of his trip?
3. What was Raju's punishment from his father?
4. What did the groom offer to buy for Raju's father?
5. What reaction did Raju's parents have to the life decision he made?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it significant that the author had Raju's father die in the rainy season?
2. How does Raju justify staying on at the temple?
3. How were Raju's business tactics influenced by his father?
4. Why did Raju justify that his behavior towards his clients was okay?
5. Why is Raju able to separate himself from the truth when dealing with others?
6. What is the source of Velan's admiration in Chapter 2?
7. After the groom left with the jutka, what did Raju's parents discover?
8. Why was Raju given his nickname at the railway?
9. How do the villagers regard Raju?
10. How does Raju advance his character's transformation in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What changes can be observed in Raju's feelings for the villagers? Cite examples from the text to support the changes you observe. What rationale lies behind the changes in Raju's feelings toward the villagers?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Marco and Raju. In the areas of work, love, reputation and Rosie/Nalini's life, how were they similar and different?
Essay Topic 3
Why is it significant that Velan also fasted on alternate days during the hunger strike? Why would he feel compelled to do this? What does this reveal about Velan's character?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)