|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Raju's role become at the temple?
2. What did Raju's father get permission to do at the railway?
3. How did Raju's mother feel about his new job?
4. What did Raju begin selling in the railway shop?
5. What explanation did Raju give for his father's behavior towards the station master?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it paradoxical that Raju encourages education for the village children?
2. How did the barber deduce information about Raju's life?
3. Why did Raju say he didn't grow up like other normal people?
4. Why was Raju given his nickname at the railway?
5. Why is Raju able to separate himself from the truth when dealing with others?
6. Why was it significant that the author had Raju's father die in the rainy season?
7. How does Raju initially regard the other villagers?
8. Why does Velan defend his out of town visit early in Chapter 1?
9. Why does Raju decide he has to stay at the temple?
10. How is education viewed up through Chapter 3 of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Marco and Raju. In the areas of work, love, reputation and Rosie/Nalini's life, how were they similar and different?
Essay Topic 2
How did Raju's obsession with Rosie/Nalini change over time? What motives launched his obsession? What continued to motivate his obsession in the late stages of their relationship? What caused the change in dynamics?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, how did Raju compare to his father in terms of business? What were their similarities and differences? In the end, who was the better business man and why?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)