|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Velan's sister agree to marry?
2. Where did Raju meet Rosie?
3. What lesson did Raju learn around the railway?
4. Who speaks first in Chapter 1?
5. What does the term "pyol" mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Raju's fears when the villagers don't show?
2. Why does Velan defend his out of town visit early in Chapter 1?
3. How is education viewed up through Chapter 3 of the novel?
4. How does the structure of the writing style in Chapter 1 portray the inner workings of the protagonist's mind?
5. After the groom left with the jutka, what did Raju's parents discover?
6. How do the villagers regard Raju?
7. Why is Raju able to separate himself from the truth when dealing with others?
8. How were Raju's business tactics influenced by his father?
9. Why did Raju say he didn't grow up like other normal people?
10. How does Raju initially regard the other villagers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the crocodile a metaphor for the life of Raju? Identify and expand on at least three pieces of symbolism between the crocodile and Raju.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Rosie's complex feelings toward Marco. Why were her feelings towards him ever changing? What influenced her mood toward him?
Essay Topic 3
What possible conclusions can be drawn from the end of the book? How will those present at the end, namely Raju, Velan, the villagers, and the film producer, be changed by the final events? Support your conclusions.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)