|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Raju become friends with at the beginning of Chapter 5?
2. What lesson did Raju learn around the railway?
3. What solution does the school master offer to the children's unwillingness to attend the temple?
4. Why did Raju's father punish him by the railway?
5. What did Raju dislike about his last residence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Velan defend his out of town visit early in Chapter 1?
2. How do the villagers regard Raju?
3. After the groom left with the jutka, what did Raju's parents discover?
4. What are Raju's fears when the villagers don't show?
5. What transpired between Raju and Rosie in Chapter 5?
6. What raised Marco's estimation of Raju?
7. Why is it paradoxical that Raju encourages education for the village children?
8. What is revealed about Raju's personality by the fact that he asked the school master to teach at the temple?
9. Why was it significant that the author had Raju's father die in the rainy season?
10. Why did Raju say he didn't grow up like other normal people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Raju's obsession with Rosie/Nalini change over time? What motives launched his obsession? What continued to motivate his obsession in the late stages of their relationship? What caused the change in dynamics?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, how did Raju compare to his father in terms of business? What were their similarities and differences? In the end, who was the better business man and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the reaction from the Indian Government to Raju's physical condition through the strike. Given the conditions of the village and the purpose of the strike, what is important about the reaction?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)