|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Raju promise his mother when he took on his new job?
2. Why did Raju like adding to his inventory at the store?
3. Where did Raju meet Rosie?
4. Who is looking for Raju at the end of Chapter 2?
5. Why will the children not go to the temple?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the progress at the railway affect Raju's father's business?
2. Why was Raju given his nickname at the railway?
3. Why does Velan defend his out of town visit early in Chapter 1?
4. How does Raju justify staying on at the temple?
5. How did Raju's skills as a guide enter into his relationship with Rosie?
6. After the groom left with the jutka, what did Raju's parents discover?
7. What transpired between Raju and Rosie in Chapter 5?
8. How does Raju initially regard the other villagers?
9. Why does Raju decide he has to stay at the temple?
10. What does Malgudi represent for Raju?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Rosie's complex feelings toward Marco. Why were her feelings towards him ever changing? What influenced her mood toward him?
Essay Topic 2
How did Raju's main character flaw, his preoccupation with reputation, lead the course of his life? Identify and defend the major areas of the novel where Raju had the ability to keep his life on track if he were not so consumed with reputation. In these various instances, why was Raju unable to learn his lesson? What caused Raju to finally see beyond himself?
Essay Topic 3
How is the crocodile a metaphor for the life of Raju? Identify and expand on at least three pieces of symbolism between the crocodile and Raju.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)