|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Rosie and Marco stay?
2. Who does Velan's sister agree to marry?
3. What does the barber deduce about Raju?
4. What did the groom offer to buy for Raju's father?
5. What did Raju's school master request in addition to money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Raju able to separate himself from the truth when dealing with others?
2. What transpired between Raju and Rosie in Chapter 5?
3. How did the progress at the railway affect Raju's father's business?
4. What are Raju's fears when the villagers don't show?
5. How was Raju always able to offer his customers an answer?
6. How does Raju advance his character's transformation in Chapter 4?
7. How do the villagers regard Raju?
8. How does Raju initially regard the other villagers?
9. What role did the railway play in Raju's family?
10. Why does Raju avoid Velan's sister's wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Rosie's complex feelings toward Marco. Why were her feelings towards him ever changing? What influenced her mood toward him?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Rosie and Nalini. In what ways did Raju's presence help in the transformation of Rosie? How did his absence assist in the transformation of Nalini?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Raju go on a hunger strike even after telling Velan the truth about who he is? How does this help perpetuate the transformation in Raju?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)