|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Marco spend his time?
2. Why does Raju stay involved with the villagers?
3. Who did Raju become friends with at the beginning of Chapter 5?
4. Who do the children convince to accompany them to the temple?
5. What did Raju begin selling in the railway shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Raju given his nickname at the railway?
2. How did the progress at the railway affect Raju's father's business?
3. Why is it paradoxical that Raju encourages education for the village children?
4. Why does Raju decide he has to stay at the temple?
5. How were Raju's business tactics influenced by his father?
6. How did Raju's skills as a guide enter into his relationship with Rosie?
7. How did the train station mirror Raju's life?
8. After the groom left with the jutka, what did Raju's parents discover?
9. What raised Marco's estimation of Raju?
10. Why did Raju justify that his behavior towards his clients was okay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the reaction from the Indian Government to Raju's physical condition through the strike. Given the conditions of the village and the purpose of the strike, what is important about the reaction?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Marco and Raju. In the areas of work, love, reputation and Rosie/Nalini's life, how were they similar and different?
Essay Topic 3
What possible conclusions can be drawn from the end of the book? How will those present at the end, namely Raju, Velan, the villagers, and the film producer, be changed by the final events? Support your conclusions.
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)