|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a jutka?
2. What solution does the school master offer to the children's unwillingness to attend the temple?
3. How did the town celebrate the new industrial progress?
4. How did Raju assist his father with work?
5. Where do Raju and Marco meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it paradoxical that Raju encourages education for the village children?
2. How was Raju always able to offer his customers an answer?
3. Why did customers recommend Raju as a top notch guide?
4. How do the villagers regard Raju?
5. What does Malgudi represent for Raju?
6. Why was Raju given his nickname at the railway?
7. Why was it significant that the author had Raju's father die in the rainy season?
8. How does Raju initially regard the other villagers?
9. What role did the railway play in Raju's family?
10. How does Raju advance his character's transformation in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Marco and Raju. In the areas of work, love, reputation and Rosie/Nalini's life, how were they similar and different?
Essay Topic 2
How is the crocodile a metaphor for the life of Raju? Identify and expand on at least three pieces of symbolism between the crocodile and Raju.
Essay Topic 3
What power did Raju derive from Nalini? How did he try to capitalize on this power? In what ways was he both successful and unsuccessful?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)