|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname did Raju have at the railway?
(a) Railway Raj.
(b) Railway Raju.
(d) Raju of the Rails.
2. What does the term "pyol" mean?
(c) Living room.
3. How does Raju propose solving the problem of educating the children?
(a) He offers to teach the children.
(b) He suggests the children are educated in the evenings.
(c) He offers to hire a school teacher.
(d) He is willing to help on their farms.
4. How did the town celebrate the new industrial progress?
(a) New jobs were awarded to each family.
(b) A parade was thrown.
(c) Town officials received raises.
(d) Everone was given the day off.
5. How did Raju intervene between Rosie and Marco?
(a) He smoothed things out between them.
(b) He took sides and instigated a fight.
(c) He drove them apart.
(d) He showed them the best in each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Raju and his classmates do with the drain at their teacher's home while he was away?
2. How much did the groom offer to pay Raju's father to keep the equipment?
3. What does the barber deduce about Raju?
4. Who escorted Raju to the Board school?
5. Who entered Raju's father's shop at the beginning of Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Raju justify staying on at the temple?
2. What role did the railway play in Raju's family?
3. Why did Raju justify that his behavior towards his clients was okay?
4. Why does Raju avoid Velan's sister's wedding?
5. What transpired between Raju and Rosie in Chapter 5?
6. After the groom left with the jutka, what did Raju's parents discover?
7. Why does Raju decide he has to stay at the temple?
8. How does Raju initially regard the other villagers?
9. What does Malgudi represent for Raju?
10. How is education viewed up through Chapter 3 of the novel?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)