|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the term "pyol" mean?
(a) Living room.
2. What does Velan offer Raju when he returns to the temple?
(a) A statue.
(c) A fine rug.
(d) A basket of food.
3. What did Raju and his classmates do with the drain at their teacher's home while he was away?
(a) They wrapped caterpillars in leaves and threw them in the water.
(b) They poured chemicals in the drain water.
(c) They dipped their teacher's hat in the water.
(d) They floated notebook paper boats in the water.
4. How did the town celebrate the new industrial progress?
(a) Town officials received raises.
(b) Everone was given the day off.
(c) New jobs were awarded to each family.
(d) A parade was thrown.
5. Who speaks first in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did the groom offer to pay Raju's father for the use of his equipment?
2. When did Raju's father pass away?
3. Why was Velan out of town?
4. Who is most "impressed by the grandeur of the whole thing"?
5. In Chapter 5, what job did Raju's new friend have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it paradoxical that Raju encourages education for the village children?
2. How does the structure of the writing style in Chapter 1 portray the inner workings of the protagonist's mind?
3. What is the source of Velan's admiration in Chapter 2?
4. How were Raju's business tactics influenced by his father?
5. How does Raju justify staying on at the temple?
6. Why did Raju justify that his behavior towards his clients was okay?
7. How is education viewed up through Chapter 3 of the novel?
8. Why did customers recommend Raju as a top notch guide?
9. After the groom left with the jutka, what did Raju's parents discover?
10. What does Malgudi represent for Raju?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)