|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reaction did Raju's parents have to the life decision he made?
(a) They refused to speak to him.
(b) They did not mention it.
(c) They praised his decision.
(d) They sent him away.
2. How did Raju's father treat the station master?
(a) With humble sumission.
(b) With adoration.
(c) With skepticism.
(d) With indifference.
3. Why does Raju stop Velan from bowing before he leaves?
(a) He doesn't want Velan to leave.
(b) Only God is worthy of that respect.
(c) He prefers to shake hands.
(d) He doesn't think the bow is enough.
4. How did Raju's mother feel about his new job?
(a) She was glad he found his calling.
(b) She agreed to support any choice he made.
(c) She was displeased with him.
(d) She was afraid for his safety.
5. When Raju and Velan meet, who does Velan say is causing him problems?
(a) His half-sister.
(b) His mother.
(c) His business associate.
(d) His wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Raju meet Rosie?
2. In Chapter 2, where does Raju establish his new throne at the temple?
3. In Chapter 5, what job did Raju's new friend have?
4. Why was Raju angry with the boy by the railway?
5. Who is looking for Raju at the end of Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Malgudi represent for Raju?
2. What role did the railway play in Raju's family?
3. How did the train station mirror Raju's life?
4. Why was it significant that the author had Raju's father die in the rainy season?
5. What transpired between Raju and Rosie in Chapter 5?
6. What is revealed about Raju's personality by the fact that he asked the school master to teach at the temple?
7. Why was Raju given his nickname at the railway?
8. How does the structure of the writing style in Chapter 1 portray the inner workings of the protagonist's mind?
9. How does Raju advance his character's transformation in Chapter 4?
10. How does Raju initially regard the other villagers?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)