|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Raju offer the boy by the river?
(a) A plantain.
(b) A mango.
(c) An apple.
(d) A kiwi.
2. How did Raju intervene between Rosie and Marco?
(a) He smoothed things out between them.
(b) He showed them the best in each other.
(c) He took sides and instigated a fight.
(d) He drove them apart.
3. What was the groom's excuse when he didn't pay Raju's father?
(a) He clamed to be ill.
(b) He pled poverty.
(c) He tried to leave town.
(d) He insisted he was robbed.
4. What is a jutka?
(a) A taxi.
(b) A piece of money.
(c) A fruit.
(d) An animal.
5. What services did Marco request?
(a) Raju's company on his trip.
(b) Raju to watch over Rosie while Marco was away.
(c) Raju to fetch him breakfast each morning.
(d) Raju's friend as his personal driver.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the barber deduce about Raju?
2. When Raju and Velan meet, who does Velan say is causing him problems?
3. What did Marco investigate on his trip?
4. Where does Chapter 3 take place?
5. Why was Raju angry with the boy by the railway?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did customers recommend Raju as a top notch guide?
2. What does Malgudi represent for Raju?
3. Why is it paradoxical that Raju encourages education for the village children?
4. Why did Raju say he didn't grow up like other normal people?
5. Why does Velan defend his out of town visit early in Chapter 1?
6. How did the train station mirror Raju's life?
7. What raised Marco's estimation of Raju?
8. What transpired between Raju and Rosie in Chapter 5?
9. What role did the railway play in Raju's family?
10. How does the structure of the writing style in Chapter 1 portray the inner workings of the protagonist's mind?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)