|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Raju learn the story that he tells Velan in the temple?
(a) From his cousin.
(b) From his mother.
(c) From his father.
(d) From his grandmother.
2. How much did the groom offer to pay Raju's father to keep the equipment?
(a) 125 rupees.
(b) 100 rupees.
(c) 50 rupees.
(d) 75 rupees.
3. What did Raju's father purchase to go with the jutka?
(a) A basket.
(b) A money bag.
(c) A farm pen.
(d) A horse.
4. Who does Raju speak to at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) Another priest.
(b) A large group of villagers.
(c) Velan's family.
(d) Rosie and Marco.
5. Why was Velan out of town?
(a) He was visiting family.
(b) He was conducting business.
(c) He was visiting the carnival.
(d) He was seeking medicine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Raju and his classmates do with the drain at their teacher's home while he was away?
2. What does Velan offer Raju when he returns to the temple?
3. In Chapter 5, what job did Raju's new friend have?
4. What does Raju's role become at the temple?
5. How did Raju assist his father with work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Raju justify staying on at the temple?
2. Why was it significant that the author had Raju's father die in the rainy season?
3. What role did the railway play in Raju's family?
4. Why did Raju say he didn't grow up like other normal people?
5. Why does Raju decide he has to stay at the temple?
6. What raised Marco's estimation of Raju?
7. Why did customers recommend Raju as a top notch guide?
8. Why did Raju justify that his behavior towards his clients was okay?
9. How does the structure of the writing style in Chapter 1 portray the inner workings of the protagonist's mind?
10. Why does Velan defend his out of town visit early in Chapter 1?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)