|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Raju's father treat the station master?
(a) With adoration.
(b) With humble sumission.
(c) With skepticism.
(d) With indifference.
2. Before joining Raju on the steps of the temple, what does Velan do?
(a) Ask Raju's permission to join him.
(b) Pick berries for them to share.
(c) Introduce himself.
(d) Wash in the river.
3. What did Raju's father purchase to go with the jutka?
(a) A money bag.
(b) A basket.
(c) A farm pen.
(d) A horse.
4. What did the groom offer to buy for Raju's father?
(b) Horse grain.
(c) A lamp light.
(d) A new rug.
5. What was Raju's punishment from his father?
(a) He was slapped by his father.
(b) He had to leave India for a month.
(c) He had to go without dinner.
(d) He had to attend school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is looking for Raju at the end of Chapter 2?
2. What does Velan give Raju in appreciation of helping his sister?
3. What does the term "pyol" mean?
4. How many trains entered the railway station daily?
5. Where did Raju play when his tree space became crowded?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the novel end?
2. Why did Raju justify that his behavior towards his clients was okay?
3. How did the progress at the railway affect Raju's father's business?
4. How do all of the discussions in the village link together in Chapter 6?
5. Why did Raju's life unravel in Chapter 7?
6. How does Raju justify staying on at the temple?
7. Why does Velan defend his out of town visit early in Chapter 1?
8. Why was it significant that the author had Raju's father die in the rainy season?
9. What is revealed about Raju's personality by the fact that he asked the school master to teach at the temple?
10. How was Raju always able to offer his customers an answer?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)