|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Raju's punishment from his father?
(a) He had to attend school.
(b) He had to go without dinner.
(c) He had to leave India for a month.
(d) He was slapped by his father.
2. Why will the children not go to the temple?
(a) They do not want to be educated.
(b) They are afraid of Raju.
(c) They are afraid of crocodiles.
(d) Their parents will not allow it.
3. What does Raju's role become at the temple?
(a) Teaching the parents about life and spiritual matters.
(b) Keeping order in the temple.
(c) Praying in silence for long periods of time.
(d) Teaching the children when the school master is away.
4. What does Velan give Raju in appreciation of helping his sister?
(a) A fruit tray.
(b) A book of prayers.
(c) A statue of a god.
(d) A bag of gold.
5. What did Raju dislike about his last residence?
(a) He disliked the hard work it required.
(b) He couldn't handle the extreme temperatures.
(c) He loathed waking early in the morning.
(d) He despised the other residents.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Raju and Velan meet, who does Velan say is causing him problems?
2. Before joining Raju on the steps of the temple, what does Velan do?
3. What state did Raju's father's death leave for Raju's mother?
4. What did Marco investigate on his trip?
5. Why did Raju's father punish him by the railway?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Malgudi represent for Raju?
2. How did the barber deduce information about Raju's life?
3. What is revealed about Raju's personality by the fact that he asked the school master to teach at the temple?
4. What raised Marco's estimation of Raju?
5. How were Raju's business tactics influenced by his father?
6. How was Raju always able to offer his customers an answer?
7. Why is it paradoxical that Raju encourages education for the village children?
8. How did Raju's skills as a guide enter into his relationship with Rosie?
9. What is the source of Velan's admiration in Chapter 2?
10. What are Raju's fears when the villagers don't show?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)