|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much did the groom offer to pay Raju's father to keep the equipment?
(a) 100 rupees.
(b) 75 rupees.
(c) 125 rupees.
(d) 50 rupees.
2. Why does Raju stay involved with the villagers?
(a) He wants to watch how they live.
(b) They bring him food daily.
(c) He has a plan for his escape.
(d) He feels a closeness to them.
3. In Chapter 5, what job did Raju's new friend have?
(a) Caravan driver.
(b) Taxi driver.
(c) Bus driver.
(d) Limo driver.
4. What explanation did Raju give for his father's behavior towards the station master?
(a) The station master determined who could have a shop at the station.
(b) The station master didn't speak to any natives.
(c) The station master seemed to sneak around the station.
(d) The station master offered praise and raises on a whim.
5. What does Raju do with the gift Velan gives him as an offering?
(a) Refuses to accept it.
(b) Accepts it with gratitude.
(c) Throws it in the river.
(d) Turns it over to the gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Raju's father work?
2. Who is looking for Raju at the end of Chapter 2?
3. How did Raju intervene between Rosie and Marco?
4. What job at the railway did Raju inherit in Chapter 3?
5. What kept Raju's father from returning for dinner nightly when Raju was young?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Raju initially regard the other villagers?
2. Why did Raju's life unravel in Chapter 7?
3. How did the train station mirror Raju's life?
4. Why did Nalini dance for the men from the local school?
5. Why does Velan defend his out of town visit early in Chapter 1?
6. When Rosie returned to Raju, why was that not enough for him to straighten out his life?
7. What paradox is at play in Chapter 6?
8. What message does Raju attempt to send to the villagers through Velan's relative?
9. Why does Velan respond the way he does to hearing the truth about Raju?
10. Why does Raju decide he has to stay at the temple?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)