|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Raju's school master request in addition to money?
(a) Supplies for the school.
(b) Food for his pantry.
(c) Free room and board.
(d) A pet for his child.
2. How did Raju assist his father with work?
(a) He loaned his own money to the business.
(b) He entertained customers.
(c) He covered for his father during lunch.
(d) He was the errand boy.
3. Where is Raju hiding when the villagers stop by the temple?
(a) In the temple.
(b) Under the table.
(c) Up the banana tree.
(d) Behind the hibiscus plant.
4. Who gave Raju his nickname?
(b) His father.
(c) The station master.
(d) The travelers.
5. What town had Velan been visiting before meeting Raju?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Raju stop Velan from bowing before he leaves?
2. How did Raju's new job pay?
3. What does Raju do with the gift Velan gives him as an offering?
4. What is a jutka?
5. What does the term "pyol" mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role did the railway play in Raju's family?
2. Why did Raju keep the letter about the jewelry from Nalini?
3. How does Raju justify staying on at the temple?
4. How did Raju's skills as a guide enter into his relationship with Rosie?
5. How do all of the discussions in the village link together in Chapter 6?
6. Why is it paradoxical that Raju encourages education for the village children?
7. When Rosie returned to Raju, why was that not enough for him to straighten out his life?
8. How did Raju feel about the visitors that Nalini would entertain?
9. How does Raju advance his character's transformation in Chapter 4?
10. What is the source of Velan's admiration in Chapter 2?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)