|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before joining Raju on the steps of the temple, what does Velan do?
(a) Ask Raju's permission to join him.
(b) Pick berries for them to share.
(c) Wash in the river.
(d) Introduce himself.
2. What does Velan offer Raju when he returns to the temple?
(a) A basket of food.
(b) A fine rug.
(c) A statue.
3. Why was Velan out of town?
(a) He was seeking medicine.
(b) He was visiting the carnival.
(c) He was visiting family.
(d) He was conducting business.
4. What is a jutka?
(a) A piece of money.
(b) A fruit.
(c) A taxi.
(d) An animal.
5. Where did Raju focus his attention for the business after his father passed?
(a) On the hut shop.
(b) On the railway shop.
(c) On the customers.
(d) On the inventory line.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lesson did Raju learn around the railway?
2. What does Raju offer the boy by the river?
3. How did Raju's new job pay?
4. What does Raju do with the gift Velan gives him as an offering?
5. What is the name of Raju's love interest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Raju justify that his behavior towards his clients was okay?
2. Why did Raju say he didn't grow up like other normal people?
3. Why is it paradoxical that Raju encourages education for the village children?
4. Why did customers recommend Raju as a top notch guide?
5. What role did the railway play in Raju's family?
6. How did Raju's skills as a guide enter into his relationship with Rosie?
7. What are Raju's fears when the villagers don't show?
8. Why does Raju avoid Velan's sister's wedding?
9. How does the structure of the writing style in Chapter 1 portray the inner workings of the protagonist's mind?
10. How were Raju's business tactics influenced by his father?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)