|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Raju assist his father with work?
(a) He was the errand boy.
(b) He covered for his father during lunch.
(c) He entertained customers.
(d) He loaned his own money to the business.
2. What was the groom's excuse when he didn't pay Raju's father?
(a) He clamed to be ill.
(b) He pled poverty.
(c) He insisted he was robbed.
(d) He tried to leave town.
3. What does Velan give Raju in appreciation of helping his sister?
(a) A fruit tray.
(b) A bag of gold.
(c) A statue of a god.
(d) A book of prayers.
4. What town had Velan been visiting before meeting Raju?
5. Who speaks first in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Raju offer the boy by the river?
2. Why was Velan out of town?
3. Where is Raju hiding when the villagers stop by the temple?
4. What is said to be hiding in the river?
5. Where did Marco stay for the remainder of his trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Raju's skills as a guide enter into his relationship with Rosie?
2. Why did Raju justify that his behavior towards his clients was okay?
3. What is the source of Velan's admiration in Chapter 2?
4. Why does Raju avoid Velan's sister's wedding?
5. What is revealed about Raju's personality by the fact that he asked the school master to teach at the temple?
6. What role did the railway play in Raju's family?
7. Why does Raju decide he has to stay at the temple?
8. Why was it significant that the author had Raju's father die in the rainy season?
9. How is education viewed up through Chapter 3 of the novel?
10. How does Raju initially regard the other villagers?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)