|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Raju and his classmates do with the drain at their teacher's home while he was away?
(a) They poured chemicals in the drain water.
(b) They dipped their teacher's hat in the water.
(c) They floated notebook paper boats in the water.
(d) They wrapped caterpillars in leaves and threw them in the water.
2. Why did Raju like adding to his inventory at the store?
(a) He liked having a variety of ways to help his customers.
(b) He was able to keep the shop open longer.
(c) He felt selling only magazines and snacks was beneath him.
(d) He was able to make more of a profit.
3. What nickname did Raju have at the railway?
(a) Railway Raj.
(b) Railway Raju.
(d) Raju of the Rails.
4. In Chapter 5, what job did Raju's new friend have?
(a) Limo driver.
(b) Bus driver.
(c) Taxi driver.
(d) Caravan driver.
5. What does Raju's role become at the temple?
(a) Teaching the parents about life and spiritual matters.
(b) Praying in silence for long periods of time.
(c) Keeping order in the temple.
(d) Teaching the children when the school master is away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Raju's father work?
2. What is said to be hiding in the river?
3. What transpired between Marco and Rosie?
4. How did Raju's mother feel about his new job?
5. How did Raju's mother describe their animals?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Raju able to separate himself from the truth when dealing with others?
2. How is education viewed up through Chapter 3 of the novel?
3. How were Raju's business tactics influenced by his father?
4. How does Raju initially regard the other villagers?
5. Why did Raju say he didn't grow up like other normal people?
6. What is revealed about Raju's personality by the fact that he asked the school master to teach at the temple?
7. Why is it paradoxical that Raju encourages education for the village children?
8. How did the progress at the railway affect Raju's father's business?
9. How does Raju justify staying on at the temple?
10. Why does Velan defend his out of town visit early in Chapter 1?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)