|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the term "pyol" mean?
(b) Living room.
2. Before joining Raju on the steps of the temple, what does Velan do?
(a) Ask Raju's permission to join him.
(b) Pick berries for them to share.
(c) Introduce himself.
(d) Wash in the river.
3. What kept Raju's father from returning for dinner nightly when Raju was young?
(a) Drinking in town.
(b) An affair.
(c) Talking with friends.
(d) Tending the the animals.
4. Who do the children convince to accompany them to the temple?
(a) Children from a neighboring village.
(b) Their parents.
(c) The village elders.
(d) The village officials.
5. When Raju and Velan meet, who does Velan say is causing him problems?
(a) His business associate.
(b) His wife.
(c) His half-sister.
(d) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reaction did Raju's parents have to the life decision he made?
2. Who speaks first in Chapter 1?
3. What did Raju dislike about his last residence?
4. What industrial progress was finally made in Chapter 3?
5. How does Raju propose solving the problem of educating the children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role did the railway play in Raju's family?
2. How did the train station mirror Raju's life?
3. How were Raju's business tactics influenced by his father?
4. Why did Raju justify that his behavior towards his clients was okay?
5. What are Raju's fears when the villagers don't show?
6. Why was Raju given his nickname at the railway?
7. What is the source of Velan's admiration in Chapter 2?
8. What is revealed about Raju's personality by the fact that he asked the school master to teach at the temple?
9. How is education viewed up through Chapter 3 of the novel?
10. Why did Raju say he didn't grow up like other normal people?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)