|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Raju's mother describe their animals?
(a) A strict commodity.
(b) A sufficient bother.
(c) As joyous company.
(d) A necessary evil.
2. Before joining Raju on the steps of the temple, what does Velan do?
(a) Pick berries for them to share.
(b) Ask Raju's permission to join him.
(c) Introduce himself.
(d) Wash in the river.
3. How did Raju's mother feel about his new job?
(a) She was displeased with him.
(b) She was afraid for his safety.
(c) She agreed to support any choice he made.
(d) She was glad he found his calling.
4. Who does Raju speak to at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) A large group of villagers.
(b) Rosie and Marco.
(c) Velan's family.
(d) Another priest.
5. What job at the railway did Raju inherit in Chapter 3?
(a) Running the station shop.
(b) Sweeping the station floor.
(c) Driving a train.
(d) Directing passengers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the term "pyol" mean?
2. What does the barber deduce about Raju?
3. Where did Marco stay for the remainder of his trip?
4. Why was Velan out of town?
5. What does Raju's role become at the temple?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Raju's fears when the villagers don't show?
2. What transpired between Raju and Rosie in Chapter 5?
3. What role did the railway play in Raju's family?
4. Why is it paradoxical that Raju encourages education for the village children?
5. Why did Raju say he didn't grow up like other normal people?
6. After the groom left with the jutka, what did Raju's parents discover?
7. What is revealed about Raju's personality by the fact that he asked the school master to teach at the temple?
8. How does the structure of the writing style in Chapter 1 portray the inner workings of the protagonist's mind?
9. Why was it significant that the author had Raju's father die in the rainy season?
10. How were Raju's business tactics influenced by his father?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)