|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Raju gain by being associated with Nalini's career?
(a) 50% of her profits.
(b) Important friends.
(c) A yacht.
(d) Real estate.
2. Raju believed Marco had no sense about him when it came to what topic?
(a) Daily living.
(d) Classical art.
3. How did the relationship between Rosie and Raju change?
(a) They went through a period where they did not speak to each other.
(b) They began to act as siblings.
(c) They became friends only.
(d) They lived as husband and wife.
4. How do the villagers react to the new conditions in the village?
(a) They are unaware.
(b) They are nervous.
(c) They are relieved.
(d) They are superstitious.
5. Why does Raju change his reaction to the gifts at this point from how he responded in the beginning of the novel?
(a) He wants the villagers to think he has very little so they will bring more.
(b) He thinks the gifts are beneath him.
(c) He is embarrassed by the gifts.
(d) He is desperate for money.
6. How did Raju's mother respond to giving him the gift to pay off his debt?
(a) She was uncertain about her duty to help Raju.
(b) She regretted giving the gift but knew ultimately that Raju was her son.
(c) She was pleased to give the gift and help Raju.
(d) She gave the gift without resisting.
7. What did Nalini discover when she visited the person Raju sent her to see?
(a) She discovered that Raju would be convicted of more crimes.
(b) She and Raju had practically no money.
(c) She discovered that Raju's father had money hidden in the train station.
(d) She found out that Raju had been wrongly accused.
8. Who did Raju ask for a loan to pay the creditor?
(b) His mother.
(c) His uncle.
9. What happened when Raju went to court?
(a) He was found not guilty.
(b) The judge sentenced him to prison.
(c) The case was thrown out.
(d) His lawyer secured an adjournment.
10. What was Marco's view of Rosie's passion?
(a) He was bored by it.
(b) He forbid it.
(c) He thought it was nice but unnecessary.
(d) He encouraged it.
11. What did the creditor threaten against Raju?
(a) To take him to court.
(b) To punish him.
(c) To put him in prison.
(d) To kill him.
12. Where did Raju's mother move in Chapter 8?
(a) In with Gaffur.
(b) In with her sister.
(c) Raju's uncle's house.
(d) To Marco's home.
13. What new name did they choose for the dancer?
14. What did Raju lose track of while spending time with Rosie?
(a) The keys to the shop.
(b) The inventory.
(c) The employees' pay days.
(d) The finances.
15. As Raju prepared for court, what did Nalini promise him?
(a) She promised to testify on his behalf.
(b) She promised to raise funds for a well-known attorney.
(c) She promised she wouldn't be there when he returned.
(d) She promised to stand by his side in court.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Nalini accuse Raju of being greedy?
2. What did Rosie study?
3. What did Raju wear to look important for his meeting with the men from the school?
4. What task did Raju take on in prison?
5. How does Raju keep track of time at the temple?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)