|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Raju's mother respond to giving him the gift to pay off his debt?
(a) She regretted giving the gift but knew ultimately that Raju was her son.
(b) She gave the gift without resisting.
(c) She was pleased to give the gift and help Raju.
(d) She was uncertain about her duty to help Raju.
2. What did Raju receive in the mail that he tried to keep from Nalini?
(a) A poor review of Nalini's performance.
(b) Divorce papers from Marco.
(c) A copy of Marco's book.
(d) A set of blackmail pictures.
3. What task did Raju take on in prison?
(a) He worked in the kitchen.
(b) He washed the laundry.
(c) He managed the recreation equipment.
(d) He filled in for the wardens.
4. What was Raju's main concern while he was involved with Rosie?
(a) Marco could find out.
(b) Gaffur might stop speaking to him.
(c) People were gossiping about him.
(d) He could lose his shop.
5. How much did Raju owe the creditor?
(a) 100 rupees.
(b) 8000 rupees.
(c) 6000 rupees.
(d) 250 rupees.
6. How long does Velan suggest Raju fast?
(a) Twelve days.
(b) Five days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One month.
7. How do the new conditions in the village affect Raju's gifts?
(a) The gifts decrease.
(b) There is a flood of gifts.
(c) The gifts increase in value.
(d) There are no more gifts.
8. What did the creditor threaten against Raju?
(a) To punish him.
(b) To kill him.
(c) To put him in prison.
(d) To take him to court.
9. What happens to the cattle when the village conditions change?
(a) They die of dehydration.
(b) They pass out from heat stroke.
(c) They drown crossing the river.
(d) The contract an illness.
10. Who replaced Raju in Nalini's business?
(a) Raju's mother.
11. What new nickname does Raju earn from the villagers?
(d) Holy One.
12. What bothered Raju about Nalini's business?
(a) He realized people only recognized him because of Nalini.
(b) He feared Nailini would want him to dance with her.
(c) He thought the business was costing too much money.
(d) He was afraid Nalini's performance would embarrass him.
13. Who does Raju say should attempt a hunger strike to return the rains?
(a) A saint.
(b) The entire village.
(c) A virgin.
14. What was Marco's view of Rosie's passion?
(a) He encouraged it.
(b) He was bored by it.
(c) He thought it was nice but unnecessary.
(d) He forbid it.
15. What did Raju pay to his lawyer?
(a) Fifteen rupees Gaffur gave him as a gift.
(b) Two rupees he found in the street.
(c) His last five rupees.
(d) Twenty rupees he borrowed from Rosie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What decision did Nalini make at home while Raju was away?
2. Where did Raju get his glasses?
3. Who disliked the time Raju and Rosie spent together?
4. Who is injured in the clash with the shopkeeper?
5. What role did Raju's uncle play in Raju's home?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)