|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Raju say should attempt a hunger strike to return the rains?
(b) A virgin.
(c) A saint.
(d) The entire village.
2. Who replaced Raju in Nalini's business?
(a) Raju's mother.
3. How successful was Nalini at launching her new career?
(a) Her career looked promising but flopped.
(b) Her career started off okay but she quit on the third day.
(c) Her career took off almost immediately.
(d) No one had interest in her business.
4. How do the villagers react to the new conditions in the village?
(a) They are superstitious.
(b) They are nervous.
(c) They are unaware.
(d) They are relieved.
5. What did the young man at the railway shop call Raju?
(c) Railway Raju.
6. What happens to the cattle when the village conditions change?
(a) They drown crossing the river.
(b) They pass out from heat stroke.
(c) The contract an illness.
(d) They die of dehydration.
7. What did Nalini discover when she visited the person Raju sent her to see?
(a) She found out that Raju had been wrongly accused.
(b) She discovered that Raju's father had money hidden in the train station.
(c) She and Raju had practically no money.
(d) She discovered that Raju would be convicted of more crimes.
8. How do the new conditions in the village affect Raju's gifts?
(a) There is a flood of gifts.
(b) The gifts decrease.
(c) There are no more gifts.
(d) The gifts increase in value.
9. Why does Raju change his reaction to the gifts at this point from how he responded in the beginning of the novel?
(a) He wants the villagers to think he has very little so they will bring more.
(b) He thinks the gifts are beneath him.
(c) He is desperate for money.
(d) He is embarrassed by the gifts.
10. After leaving Raju's mother's home, where did Raju and Nalini live?
(a) They downsized into a home they could afford.
(b) They moved to a large, upscale home.
(c) They returned to the hotel.
(d) They lived above the dance studio.
11. What did the creditor threaten against Raju?
(a) To kill him.
(b) To punish him.
(c) To take him to court.
(d) To put him in prison.
12. What task did Raju take on in prison?
(a) He washed the laundry.
(b) He managed the recreation equipment.
(c) He filled in for the wardens.
(d) He worked in the kitchen.
13. How long does Velan suggest Raju fast?
(a) One month.
(b) Five days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Twelve days.
14. How did Raju interact with his fellow inmates?
(a) He hid from them.
(b) He spread lies about them.
(c) He taught them.
(d) He bullied them.
15. What was the concern of the young man Raju left in charge of the railway store?
(a) Raju was not on top of the finances.
(b) The customers were stealing from the store.
(c) The customers were not being attended to properly by Raju.
(d) Raju did not take the proper time to assess the inventory.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the men from the school respond to the dance?
2. What is Raju's favorite season?
3. Who did Raju tell Nalini to visit when she met with him?
4. What was Rosie's passion?
5. What happened when Raju went to court?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)