|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Raju tell the villagers to do about the new conditions in the village?
(a) Pray harder.
(b) Bring more offerings.
(c) There is nothing they can do.
(d) Chant at the temple.
2. During the course of Nalini's career, what was Raju doing and justifying that upset Nalini?
(a) He was staying out late at the bars.
(b) He was destroying the careers of Nalini's competition.
(c) He was spending out of control.
(d) He was having an affair.
3. Where did Raju's mother move in Chapter 8?
(a) In with her sister.
(b) Raju's uncle's house.
(c) In with Gaffur.
(d) To Marco's home.
4. What story does Raju decide to share with Velan?
(a) The story of the fox and rabbit.
(b) The truth about his past.
(c) A parable about the rains.
(d) Gossip about the villagers.
5. What was the name of Raju's creditor?
(a) The Sait.
(b) The Killer.
(c) The Enforcer.
(d) The Nightmare.
6. What task did Raju take on in prison?
(a) He washed the laundry.
(b) He filled in for the wardens.
(c) He managed the recreation equipment.
(d) He worked in the kitchen.
7. What role did Raju's uncle play in the family?
(a) He was the black sheep of the family.
(b) He cleaned up after the family.
(c) He bought homes for all of the children.
(d) He handled all of the family's affairs.
8. What does Raju do with the gifts that the villagers continue to bring him?
(a) He sells them at the market.
(b) He hides them in the temple.
(c) He refuses them.
(d) He distributes them to the villagers.
9. What sentence did Raju receive at his trial?
(a) Two years in prison.
(b) Two months in prison and one year probation.
(c) Two months in prison.
(d) Two years in prison with six months of community service.
10. How did Raju interact with his fellow inmates?
(a) He bullied them.
(b) He hid from them.
(c) He spread lies about them.
(d) He taught them.
11. What role did Raju's uncle play in Raju's home?
(a) He tried to bully Rosie into leaving.
(b) He stole from Rosie's suitcase.
(c) He kicked Raju out of the family.
(d) He took Raju's home.
12. What business decision did Nalini threaten to make when Raju returned?
(a) She threatened to slander his name in the business world.
(b) She threatened to sell Raju's portion of the business.
(c) She threatened to cancel all pending engagements and return the advance payments.
(d) She threatened to hire another dancer and cut Raju from the business.
13. Velan's relative says Velan won't stop fighting until he has accomplished what goal?
(a) Burned down the houses of the opposition.
(b) Changed the course of the village.
(c) Killed the shopkeeper.
(d) Run the opposition out of town.
14. What did Raju pay to his lawyer?
(a) His last five rupees.
(b) Fifteen rupees Gaffur gave him as a gift.
(c) Two rupees he found in the street.
(d) Twenty rupees he borrowed from Rosie.
15. What did Raju wear to look important for his meeting with the men from the school?
(a) A dhoti.
(b) A wristwatch.
(c) A turban.
(d) A sherwani.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Raju notice around the temple?
2. Where was Raju's creditor from?
3. Who disliked the time Raju and Rosie spent together?
4. Who convinced Marco to stay when he and Rosie were arguing?
5. What was Raju's main concern while he was involved with Rosie?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)