|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much time passed before Rosie returned to Raju?
(a) One week.
(b) One decade.
(c) One year.
(d) One month.
2. How did the relationship between Rosie and Raju change?
(a) They began to act as siblings.
(b) They went through a period where they did not speak to each other.
(c) They lived as husband and wife.
(d) They became friends only.
3. What is Raju's favorite season?
(a) The dry season.
(b) The rainy season.
(c) The planting season.
(d) The harvesting season.
4. How long does Velan suggest Raju fast?
(a) Five days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Twelve days.
(d) One month.
5. What story does Raju decide to share with Velan?
(a) Gossip about the villagers.
(b) The story of the fox and rabbit.
(c) The truth about his past.
(d) A parable about the rains.
6. What did Raju receive in the mail that he tried to keep from Nalini?
(a) A copy of Marco's book.
(b) A set of blackmail pictures.
(c) Divorce papers from Marco.
(d) A poor review of Nalini's performance.
7. What happens to the cattle when the village conditions change?
(a) They pass out from heat stroke.
(b) They die of dehydration.
(c) They drown crossing the river.
(d) The contract an illness.
8. What new name did they choose for the dancer?
9. Who is injured in the clash with the shopkeeper?
10. What happened when Raju went to court?
(a) The case was thrown out.
(b) The judge sentenced him to prison.
(c) He was found not guilty.
(d) His lawyer secured an adjournment.
11. What did Raju pay to his lawyer?
(a) Twenty rupees he borrowed from Rosie.
(b) Two rupees he found in the street.
(c) Fifteen rupees Gaffur gave him as a gift.
(d) His last five rupees.
12. How did Raju manage Nalini's career?
(a) He was controlling and tried to keep her away from others.
(b) He promoted her constantly because he wanted the best for her.
(c) He arrived at each performance with flowers to boost Nalini's confidence.
(d) He was fierce and scared Nalini from straying.
13. Where were Rosie's books kept?
(a) Under her bed.
(b) At her uncle's house.
(c) In the library.
(d) In the trunk of Marco's car.
14. Why does Raju change his reaction to the gifts at this point from how he responded in the beginning of the novel?
(a) He wants the villagers to think he has very little so they will bring more.
(b) He is embarrassed by the gifts.
(c) He is desperate for money.
(d) He thinks the gifts are beneath him.
15. How do the new conditions in the village affect Raju's gifts?
(a) There is a flood of gifts.
(b) There are no more gifts.
(c) The gifts decrease.
(d) The gifts increase in value.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the villagers react to the new conditions in the village?
2. Where did Raju stay in relation to Marco and Rosie?
3. What decision did Nalini make at home while Raju was away?
4. How did Raju propose raising money to pay the creditor?
5. Velan's relative says Velan won't stop fighting until he has accomplished what goal?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)