|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Raju change his reaction to the gifts at this point from how he responded in the beginning of the novel?
(a) He is embarrassed by the gifts.
(b) He wants the villagers to think he has very little so they will bring more.
(c) He thinks the gifts are beneath him.
(d) He is desperate for money.
2. What happened when Raju went to court?
(a) The judge sentenced him to prison.
(b) He was found not guilty.
(c) His lawyer secured an adjournment.
(d) The case was thrown out.
3. What story does Raju decide to share with Velan?
(a) A parable about the rains.
(b) The story of the fox and rabbit.
(c) The truth about his past.
(d) Gossip about the villagers.
4. What did Raju pay to his lawyer?
(a) Two rupees he found in the street.
(b) Twenty rupees he borrowed from Rosie.
(c) His last five rupees.
(d) Fifteen rupees Gaffur gave him as a gift.
5. As Raju prepared for court, what did Nalini promise him?
(a) She promised to raise funds for a well-known attorney.
(b) She promised to stand by his side in court.
(c) She promised she wouldn't be there when he returned.
(d) She promised to testify on his behalf.
6. What sentence did Raju receive at his trial?
(a) Two months in prison and one year probation.
(b) Two years in prison with six months of community service.
(c) Two years in prison.
(d) Two months in prison.
7. How did Raju spend his days?
(a) Working in his railway shop.
(b) Being Rosie's personal dance critic.
(c) Wandering aimlessly around the village.
(d) Hiding from his mother.
8. What does Raju tell the villagers to do about the new conditions in the village?
(a) There is nothing they can do.
(b) Pray harder.
(c) Chant at the temple.
(d) Bring more offerings.
9. What does Raju notice around the temple?
(a) The villagers are ill.
(b) The river rises to a record high.
(c) It becomes increasingly muggy.
(d) It fails to rain.
10. Where was Raju's creditor from?
(a) Market Road.
(b) Market Lane.
(c) Market Square.
(d) Market Street.
11. Who convinced Marco to stay when he and Rosie were arguing?
12. How much money does the cattle herder earn?
(a) 4 annas a week per home.
(b) 4 annas a month per home.
(c) A total of 4 annas a week.
(d) A total of 4 annas a month.
13. Who was Raju's assistant?
14. What was Raju's main concern while he was involved with Rosie?
(a) People were gossiping about him.
(b) Gaffur might stop speaking to him.
(c) Marco could find out.
(d) He could lose his shop.
15. Who suggested Rosie move into Raju's home?
(b) Raju's mother.
(c) Rosie's uncle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rosie study?
2. How does Raju keep track of time at the temple?
3. How long did Raju have to stay away from the home?
4. Who offers Raju an update on the village violence?
5. How did Raju manage Nalini's career?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)