|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is most "impressed by the grandeur of the whole thing"?
(a) The school master.
(b) The parents.
(c) The villagers.
2. What solution does the school master offer to the children's unwillingness to attend the temple?
(a) He suggests he go to the children individually.
(b) He suggests they forget trying to force the children to be educated.
(c) He suggests they meet in town.
(d) He suggests Raju speak to them.
3. Who entered Raju's father's shop at the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) Railway men.
(b) Neighborhood children.
(c) Religious men.
(d) Police officers.
4. What does Velan offer Raju when he returns to the temple?
(a) A statue.
(c) A basket of food.
(d) A fine rug.
5. What did Raju promise his mother when he took on his new job?
(a) He would always provide for her.
(b) She would never have to worry again.
(c) She could visit him at his new job.
(d) He would still look after the railway shop.
6. What does the term "pyol" mean?
(c) Living room.
7. Who escorted Raju to the Board school?
(a) His best friend.
(b) His father.
(c) His school master.
(d) His mother.
8. What was the groom's excuse when he didn't pay Raju's father?
(a) He clamed to be ill.
(b) He pled poverty.
(c) He insisted he was robbed.
(d) He tried to leave town.
9. Who did Raju become friends with at the beginning of Chapter 5?
10. How does Raju propose solving the problem of educating the children?
(a) He suggests the children are educated in the evenings.
(b) He offers to teach the children.
(c) He is willing to help on their farms.
(d) He offers to hire a school teacher.
11. What does Raju's role become at the temple?
(a) Keeping order in the temple.
(b) Teaching the parents about life and spiritual matters.
(c) Praying in silence for long periods of time.
(d) Teaching the children when the school master is away.
12. What did Raju's school master request in addition to money?
(a) A pet for his child.
(b) Free room and board.
(c) Supplies for the school.
(d) Food for his pantry.
13. What activity does Raju think classifies him as "night guide to the skies"?
(a) Giving direction by the stars.
(b) Studying the moon phases.
(c) Identifying constellations.
(d) Counting the stars.
14. Where is Raju hiding when the villagers stop by the temple?
(a) Under the table.
(b) In the temple.
(c) Up the banana tree.
(d) Behind the hibiscus plant.
15. What did Raju begin selling in the railway shop?
(a) Guide books.
(b) Train tickets.
(c) Used school books.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Raju's father get permission to do at the railway?
2. What was Raju's punishment from his father?
3. What transpired between Marco and Rosie?
4. What kept Raju's father from returning for dinner nightly when Raju was young?
5. Where did Raju focus his attention for the business after his father passed?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)