|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Raju and Velan meet, who does Velan say is causing him problems?
(a) His wife.
(b) His business associate.
(c) His half-sister.
(d) His mother.
2. How much did the groom offer to pay Raju's father for the use of his equipment?
(a) Two rupees a day.
(b) Two rupees a year.
(c) Two rupees a week.
(d) Two rupees a month.
3. How did Raju's mother feel about his new job?
(a) She agreed to support any choice he made.
(b) She was glad he found his calling.
(c) She was displeased with him.
(d) She was afraid for his safety.
4. What is a jutka?
(a) An animal.
(b) A taxi.
(c) A fruit.
(d) A piece of money.
5. Who entered Raju's father's shop at the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) Religious men.
(b) Police officers.
(c) Railway men.
(d) Neighborhood children.
6. What activity does Raju think classifies him as "night guide to the skies"?
(a) Studying the moon phases.
(b) Counting the stars.
(c) Identifying constellations.
(d) Giving direction by the stars.
7. What does Raju do with the gift Velan gives him as an offering?
(a) Turns it over to the gods.
(b) Accepts it with gratitude.
(c) Refuses to accept it.
(d) Throws it in the river.
8. What life decision did Raju need to make in Chapter 3?
(a) Whether or not to leave home.
(b) Whether or not to get married.
(c) Whether or not to return to school.
(d) Whether or not to change careers.
9. How did Raju assist his father with work?
(a) He was the errand boy.
(b) He covered for his father during lunch.
(c) He entertained customers.
(d) He loaned his own money to the business.
10. What explanation did Raju give for his father's behavior towards the station master?
(a) The station master didn't speak to any natives.
(b) The station master determined who could have a shop at the station.
(c) The station master seemed to sneak around the station.
(d) The station master offered praise and raises on a whim.
11. What did Raju begin selling in the railway shop?
(b) Train tickets.
(c) Guide books.
(d) Used school books.
12. Who is most "impressed by the grandeur of the whole thing"?
(a) The villagers.
(c) The school master.
(d) The parents.
13. What town had Velan been visiting before meeting Raju?
14. Who did Raju become friends with at the beginning of Chapter 5?
15. What nickname did Raju have at the railway?
(a) Raju of the Rails.
(c) Railway Raj.
(d) Railway Raju.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Velan give Raju in appreciation of helping his sister?
2. What is the name of Raju's love interest?
3. What does Raju offer the boy by the river?
4. Why did Raju like his new job?
5. Who does Raju request be sent to the temple?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)