|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Raju promise his mother when he took on his new job?
(a) She would never have to worry again.
(b) She could visit him at his new job.
(c) He would still look after the railway shop.
(d) He would always provide for her.
2. What reaction did Raju's parents have to the life decision he made?
(a) They praised his decision.
(b) They refused to speak to him.
(c) They did not mention it.
(d) They sent him away.
3. Which perspective is used to tell the story at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) Raju's present tense view.
(b) The omniscient narrator.
(c) Raju's past tense view.
(d) Velan's view.
4. How does Raju propose solving the problem of educating the children?
(a) He is willing to help on their farms.
(b) He offers to teach the children.
(c) He suggests the children are educated in the evenings.
(d) He offers to hire a school teacher.
5. Why does Raju stop Velan from bowing before he leaves?
(a) He doesn't want Velan to leave.
(b) Only God is worthy of that respect.
(c) He doesn't think the bow is enough.
(d) He prefers to shake hands.
6. Who escorted Raju to the Board school?
(a) His best friend.
(b) His school master.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
7. Where did Raju meet Rosie?
(a) At the market.
(b) At the train station.
(c) At his mother's house.
(d) At the hotel.
8. Who is looking for Raju at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) The temple gardener.
(b) The sheep herder's uncle.
9. What transpired between Marco and Rosie?
(a) A love affair.
(b) A friendship.
(c) A disagreement.
(d) A hatred.
10. What state did Raju's father's death leave for Raju's mother?
(a) She was left with money she didn't know her husband had.
(b) She was a financially comfortable widow.
(c) She had the means to get by, but it is sparse
(d) She was left with nothing and must move in with Raju.
11. How did Raju's new job pay?
(a) The money was good.
(b) The money was just enough to get by.
(c) The money varied weekly.
(d) The money was scarce.
12. Who does Raju speak to at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) Another priest.
(b) A large group of villagers.
(c) Velan's family.
(d) Rosie and Marco.
13. Why are the villagers not sending their children to school?
(a) They need them to tend to the cattle.
(b) They are opposed to education.
(c) They need them to pick crops.
(d) They do not have a school teacher.
14. Who entered Raju's father's shop at the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) Police officers.
(b) Neighborhood children.
(c) Religious men.
(d) Railway men.
15. What lesson did Raju learn around the railway?
(a) Anticipating the passengers' needs.
(b) How to sneak onto a train without passage.
(c) Where to hide at the station.
(d) Conning money out of passengers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Raju like adding to his inventory at the store?
2. Where did Raju play when his tree space became crowded?
3. How much did the groom offer to pay Raju's father for the use of his equipment?
4. Why was Velan out of town?
5. What activity did Raju and his father share?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)