|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kit act when she first meets Juliet?
2. What makes Juliet refuse Mark?
3. Who does Juliet need the blessing of to complete her book?
4. How many pets were they allowed to keep during the occupation?
5. How long did Elizabeth have to move out of Sir Ambrose's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Juliet notice first about Dawsey?
2. What alarming thing about French people did Juliet read in an article?
3. What does Isola offer to do for Juliet while Sydney is in town?
4. How did Elizabeth die?
5. What does Isola learn from studying Juliet's head?
6. What caused Juliet to refuse Mark once and for all?
7. Why does Billy Bee say she is coming to Guernsey?
8. Why was John sent to the Concentration Camp?
9. Why does Susan Scott tell Juliet not to trust Billy Bee?
10. Why does Sir Otis come to Guernsey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
WWII was a major historical event that greatly shaped the lives of the characters in this book. How did WWII do this, and which characters were most affected by the inclusion of this major event.
Essay Topic 2
Sophie is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence - however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Sophie had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)