|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Dean put in Wharton’s drink to make him sleep?
2. Approximately how much do the keys weigh that Paul carries at the prison?
3. When is Coffey’s date of execution?
4. In Part 5, Chapter 4, what jobs does Paul assign to Percy?
5. How long does Hal Moores believe it will take to get Percy transferred to Briar Ridge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Coffey want to die?
2. Where had Paul found Mr. Jingles?
3. How involved is Paul in his writing in Part 6, Chapter 1?
4. What did the law do about Wharton when a man said Wharton had bothered his nine-year-old daughter?
5. Why does Coffey stop and look at the electric chair as they pass on their way to the Moores?
6. How does Hal Moores look when he meets Paul and the others at the front door of his home?
7. What does Percy do after John releases what he took from Melinda into Percy?
8. Why does Hal Moores call Paul the morning after Delacroix’s execution?
9. Why does Paul ask his colleagues to come to lunch at his house?
10. What does Paul’s shoe have to do with the belief he has that Coffey is innocent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the beginning, Mr. Jingles seems to be more than just a mouse. Once Percy seems to be an enemy, when does the mouse only come around? What does Paul think when the mouse only comes around when Percy isn’t on the block? What actions get Paul and the others thinking the mouse is looking for someone? When does the mouse seem to quit looking for someone? What does Delacroix claim that the mouse whispers to him? What happens to the mouse immediately after Delacroix’s execution? What about that seems to confirm the fact that the mouse isn’t simply an ordinary mouse?
Essay Topic 2
Paul believes that Coffey did not kill the young girls. Why does Paul connect not being able to tie a shoe to Coffey’s innocence? What other things about Coffey make Paul believe he is innocent? Is Paul’s theory every corroborated?
Essay Topic 3
Coffey is executed even though he is innocent. In what way are Paul’s and his co-workers’ hands tied when it comes to getting a stay of execution? Why don’t they even attempt to prove Coffey’s innocence to a higher authority? Do Coffey’s wishes have anything to do with the reasons why he was executed even though he was innocent?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)