|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What constellation does Coffey notice on the way to the Moores?
2. Who tries to slug Percy after Delacroix’s execution?
3. How much does Delacroix say that adults will pay to see Mr. Jingles at Mouseville?
4. In Part 5, Chapter 5, what does Paul give Wharton to drink late in the evening?
5. What does Janet give Paul to eat while he tells her the story of the night they took Coffey to the Moores?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hal Moores call Paul the morning after Delacroix’s execution?
2. After Percy is released from the straitjacket, what happens?
3. What does Percy do after John releases what he took from Melinda into Percy?
4. In Part 6, Chapter 1, what does Elaine say to Dolan to make him stop bothering Paul?
5. How involved is Paul in his writing in Part 6, Chapter 1?
6. When had Wharton been involved with an underage girl?
7. Why does Paul wonder if humans are merely circus mice?
8. What does Curtis Anderson say to Percy after Delacroix’s botched execution?
9. Why does Paul ask his colleagues to come to lunch at his house?
10. What does Paul’s shoe have to do with the belief he has that Coffey is innocent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When someone first comes to live at Georgia Pines, it seems as safe as a nursery school. How do people change after coming to Georgia Pines? Why does Paul believe the place is dangerous? How does he try to avoid the danger?
Essay Topic 2
Paul believes that talking is his and his staff’s most important job. What purpose does talking with the prisoners serve? Why does Paul prefer talking to discipline or punishment? What are the benefits of talk for the prisoners? For the guards?
Essay Topic 3
Paul and Elaine are good friends. In what ways are Paul and Elaine friends? Does one of them take a primary role in caring for the other? Are they more than friends? Why or why not? How does their relationship affect their lives at Georgia Pines?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)