Eight Week Quiz G
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17, The Way of the Modern World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The freedom of Athenian thought and expression led to ____________________.
(c) the basis for science
2. Of all the Greek poets, Pindar is described as the _____________________________.
(a) easiest to read and translate
(c) easiest to read but hardest to translate
(d) most difficult to read and translate
3. The Greeks classified Pindar in the ________________________.
(a) ornate school of writing
(b) austere school of writing
(c) simple school of writing
(d) aristocratic school of writing
4. Hamilton feels there is a great deal of similarity between Aristophanes and the comedy of ______________________.
(a) sixteenth century England
(b) modern day Broadway
(c) fifteenth century England
(d) seventeenth centiry France
5. Xenophon's book is about _______________________________.
(a) how the retreat of the Ten Thousand was successful
(b) Greek society
(c) the defeat of the Persians
(d) discipline in the military
Short Answer Questions
1. Aeschylus had been ________________________-.
2. Tragedy in drama began with whom?
3. Which tragedian is considered to be the most modern?
4. Compared to Greek writing, English poetry is ____________________.
5. Hamilton compares reading Aristophanes to reading a _________________.
This section contains 190 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)