|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15, The Religion of the Greeks.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word best describes the ancient Athenians?
(b) contol by priests
2. According to Pericles, _________________________.
(a) writing should be ornate
(b) repetition is good
(c) words are to be used sparingly
(d) the longer a passage is, the better it is
3. Who was charged with leadership in the Greek society of Pindar's time?
(a) noone in particular
(b) the aristocracy
(c) the elected leaders
4. What is one of the presumptions of Aristophanes' plays?
(a) the audience is ignorant of literature
(b) the audience must be educated
(c) the audience is aware of the current thought and literature
(d) the audience will not understand his points without the chorus
5. What terms would not apply to Xenophon?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hamilton, tragedy is the domain of whom?
2. Xenophon suggested that _____________________________________.
3. Hamilton compares Sophocles to ________________.
4. Greek writing can be characterized as ______________________.
5. Which of the following is not one of the plays of Aristophanes?
This section contains 201 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)