|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Og want to show in his future books?
2. What does Simon say will have to happen in order for the world to survive?
3. How long does the woman tell Og she's lived in the apartment?
4. Who left the envelope for him?
5. What did God say humans should do thirdly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the first thing Og read out of the brown envelope?
2. What did Simon do with his surprise?
3. What did Og bring up on the night of Simon's birthday and what did Simon say?
4. What did Og do and what did he see after he left his office at the end of the book?
5. What did Og do after he read the letter from Simon?
6. Who did Og call and why in Chapter 10?
7. What did Simon say would be the best way to handle the God Memorandum?
8. Where were the last places Og went to look for Simon and what did he find?
9. When Og returned from a business trip what did he find?
10. What did Og find at Simon's apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fourth law of happiness and success according to Simon is to wisely use your power of choice.
1. What do you think Simon meant by this principle? What examples did he use in the book?
2. Describe a situation in your life or the life of someone you know where they had to make a difficult, but important choice. How did the choice affect your or his/her life?
3. Do you believe you have more or less power to make choices in your life than your peers? Why or why not? Do you believe when you have the power of choice you generally choose well? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Simon told Og in his letter that he was leaving the God Memorandum in Og's care with complete confidence in him.
1. Why do you think Simon chose Og for the mission of dissimulating the God Memorandum? Use examples from the book and/or Og's life to support your answer.
2. Do you believe Simon could have the same confidence in you as he did in Og? Why or why not?
3. If your parent or teacher told you she/he believed in you to do something, how would you feel? Would you feel more pressure to live up to the expectations if they did not monitor you and all motivation had to come from you?
Essay Topic 3
Simon quoted Richter as saying that "life becomes more and more bright the longer we live and the reason of everything becomes more clear."
1. What is your interpretation of this quote? Do you think the quote means the same to you as to Simon?
2. When thinking of an older person you know, for example, your grandparent; or an older person that you have heard about, how would this saying apply to them?
3. Simon seems to believe life gets better as one gets older and yet America seems to be a culture focused on youth. Do you think it is more difficult for an older person to have a better life in a country where youth is valued? Why or why not? Use an example from your life or from a book or movie you have read or seen.
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)