|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Simon say caused living death?
2. How did the gate at Og's building open?
3. What did Og ask of God in the church?
4. In what city did Og first meet Simon?
5. Of what magazine was Og president ?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Og view Simon?
2. Why had Og driven into the city the day he met Simon?
3. What did Og tell Simon about James Stewart?
4. What did Simon tell Og he believed about the mind?
5. How did Simon think about handicapped people and people in jobs they hated?
6. Who is Simon Potter and what does he do?
7. What did Simon believe could help mankind?
8. What happened to Simon's family?
9. What were a few things Simon told Og about miracles?
10. Why was Og surprised about part of Simon's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fourth law of happiness and success according to Simon is to wisely use your power of choice.
1. What do you think Simon meant by this principle? What examples did he use in the book?
2. Describe a situation in your life or the life of someone you know where they had to make a difficult, but important choice. How did the choice affect your or his/her life?
3. Do you believe you have more or less power to make choices in your life than your peers? Why or why not? Do you believe when you have the power of choice you generally choose well? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Mandino wrote in Chapter 4 that he and Simon sat in a peaceful silence that could only be shared by two people who truly related to each other and that words weren't necessary to reinforce friendship.
1. What do you think Mandino meant by this statement?
2. Do you think friendship can build by silence between two people? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and/or your own life to support your opinion.
3. What do you think are the best ways to build friendship between two people?
Essay Topic 3
Simon told Og in his letter that he was leaving the God Memorandum in Og's care with complete confidence in him.
1. Why do you think Simon chose Og for the mission of dissimulating the God Memorandum? Use examples from the book and/or Og's life to support your answer.
2. Do you believe Simon could have the same confidence in you as he did in Og? Why or why not?
3. If your parent or teacher told you she/he believed in you to do something, how would you feel? Would you feel more pressure to live up to the expectations if they did not monitor you and all motivation had to come from you?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)