|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the book Og gave Simon?
2. What does Simon believe about the books in his apartment?
3. Why did Og go in a church to pray?
4. Why does Og want to stay at the magazine?
5. What did Og say a miracle was?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Simon think about handicapped people and people in jobs they hated?
2. Who did Simon quote about the similarities between Og's first book and Simon's life?
3. What were a few things Simon told Og about miracles?
4. What did Og Mandino do with Simon?
5. What did Simon say about Og's boss as he looked at Stone's picture?
6. How did Og view Simon?
7. How did Simon feel about many of the people in the world and the way they lived?
8. What did Simon tell Og when Og asked him how many people Simon had helped?
9. What did Simon suggest to Og when he was having trouble with the gate and what happened?
10. Why had Og driven into the city the day he met Simon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This first chapter touches on the theme of friendship, not only introducing the two main characters, but already suggesting the kind of relationship they will experience by the writer's first words.
1. Describe what you think the first chapter was saying about the two men, Simon and Og's, relationship.
2. Did you think the two men were still friends when this book was written? Why or why not?
3. What did the first words of the book, above, foreshadow to you?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter Seven, Og, has a package from Simon but when he goes to "Simon's" apartment, it is as if the man never lived there. If we are to assume that a person can't just disappear without a trace, meaning, no one but Og had seen or spoken to this man, then we have to come up with an explanation for his disappearance. Let's look at it as a literary device that Og used to hold our attention.
1. This book was published as a true book. Do you believe that Simon Potter existed? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own thoughts to support your answer.
2. If Simon Potter did not exist and Og Mandino used the story of him to keep a reader interested, would that change your feelings and thoughts about the book? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In his letter to Og, Simon said the most difficult tasks are done by the consistent, daily application of the best within someone.
1. What do you think Simon meant when he said this? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What situation or task have you dealt with in your life that would illustrate this principle? Were you successful in finishing the task or resolving the situation? Why or why not?
3. If you had a friend or relative who was struggling with a problem, what would you tell them to help them solve the problem by application of this principle? Include an example from the book in your explanation.
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)