|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Simon say many people are?
2. Why did Simon think people could change their lives?
3. At the opening to Chapter 3, Og was yelled at by Simon. Where was Simon?
4. Why did Og have a difficult time getting in the gate?
5. What does Simon believe causes most of the world's ills?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Simon tell Og when Og asked him how many people Simon had helped?
2. Who did Simon quote about the similarities between Og's first book and Simon's life?
3. How did Og view Simon?
4. What did Simon ask Og to remember for the next time they met?
5. How did Simon feel about many of the people in the world and the way they lived?
6. What did Og Mandino do with Simon?
7. Why was Og feeling pressured on the day he met Simon for the second time?
8. What did Simon suggest to Og when he was having trouble with the gate and what happened?
9. When Og met Simon for the second time he talked about his name and his vocation. What did he say?
10. What did Simon think was the biggest problem mankind had?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fourth law of happiness and success according to Simon is to wisely use your power of choice.
1. What do you think Simon meant by this principle? What examples did he use in the book?
2. Describe a situation in your life or the life of someone you know where they had to make a difficult, but important choice. How did the choice affect your or his/her life?
3. Do you believe you have more or less power to make choices in your life than your peers? Why or why not? Do you believe when you have the power of choice you generally choose well? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Simon told Og in his letter that he was leaving the God Memorandum in Og's care with complete confidence in him.
1. Why do you think Simon chose Og for the mission of dissimulating the God Memorandum? Use examples from the book and/or Og's life to support your answer.
2. Do you believe Simon could have the same confidence in you as he did in Og? Why or why not?
3. If your parent or teacher told you she/he believed in you to do something, how would you feel? Would you feel more pressure to live up to the expectations if they did not monitor you and all motivation had to come from you?
Essay Topic 3
The description of Simon may raise a few eyebrows for the reader.
1. What were your impressions of Simon when Og first saw him?
2. How did your first impression of Simon change by the end of Chapter 1?
3. By the end of Chapter 1 was Simon a person you would want to see again? Why or why not?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)