|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Og and Simon find in Simon's life and Og's first book?
2. What did Simon want Og to remember when he called to him from the window in Chapter 3?
3. What does Simon say is the way most people function in regard to their mind?
4. What did Og say a miracle was?
5. How did Simon think the handicapped could succeed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Og right after he saw Simon in the snow?
2. What did Og tell Simon about James Stewart?
3. What did Simon suggest to Og when he was having trouble with the gate and what happened?
4. How did Simon think about handicapped people and people in jobs they hated?
5. What did Simon tell Og when Og asked him how many people Simon had helped?
6. What were a few things Simon told Og about miracles?
7. What did Simon ask Og to remember for the next time they met?
8. What did Og think he and Simon could do together?
9. Why had Og driven into the city the day he met Simon?
10. Why was Og surprised about part of Simon's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter Seven, Og, has a package from Simon but when he goes to "Simon's" apartment, it is as if the man never lived there. If we are to assume that a person can't just disappear without a trace, meaning, no one but Og had seen or spoken to this man, then we have to come up with an explanation for his disappearance. Let's look at it as a literary device that Og used to hold our attention.
1. This book was published as a true book. Do you believe that Simon Potter existed? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own thoughts to support your answer.
2. If Simon Potter did not exist and Og Mandino used the story of him to keep a reader interested, would that change your feelings and thoughts about the book? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Simon said that all people are capable of completing a great miracle. When Og asked what miracle, Simon had him first define the word miracle.
1. Do you agree with Og's definition of a miracle? How about Simon's? Do you think miracles do occur? Support both answers with why or why not.
2. Have you ever seen a miracle or have you ever wanted to see one? Explain the circumstances if you believe you've seen a miracle. If not, why would you want or not want to see a miracle?
3. Would seeing a miracle be frightening? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The fourth law of happiness and success according to Simon is to wisely use your power of choice.
1. What do you think Simon meant by this principle? What examples did he use in the book?
2. Describe a situation in your life or the life of someone you know where they had to make a difficult, but important choice. How did the choice affect your or his/her life?
3. Do you believe you have more or less power to make choices in your life than your peers? Why or why not? Do you believe when you have the power of choice you generally choose well? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)