|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Simon call himself a ragpicker?
2. In what city did Og first meet Simon?
3. If a person thinks negative thoughts, according to Simon what will happen?
4. What did Eddie Rickenbacker say when asked about floating around in the ocean for three weeks?
5. Who said, "whatever we allow to enter our minds will bear fruit?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Og Mandino do with Simon?
2. What happened to Simon's family?
3. Where did Simon take Og after they met for the second time and what was Og's first impression of the place?
4. What happened to Og right after he saw Simon in the snow?
5. What did Og find the last time he went to see Simon?
6. How did Simon feel about many of the people in the world and the way they lived?
7. What did Og think he and Simon could do together?
8. What was Og thinking about in relationship to Simon as he first got to know Simon?
9. What did Simon do after the war?
10. Who did Simon quote about the similarities between Og's first book and Simon's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Simon quoted Richter as saying that "life becomes more and more bright the longer we live and the reason of everything becomes more clear."
1. What is your interpretation of this quote? Do you think the quote means the same to you as to Simon?
2. When thinking of an older person you know, for example, your grandparent; or an older person that you have heard about, how would this saying apply to them?
3. Simon seems to believe life gets better as one gets older and yet America seems to be a culture focused on youth. Do you think it is more difficult for an older person to have a better life in a country where youth is valued? Why or why not? Use an example from your life or from a book or movie you have read or seen.
Essay Topic 2
Og Mandino says in Chapter 3 that Simon Potter would constantly interrupt his thoughts impinging questions about the man on Og's consciousness. He couldn't see to get Simon Potter out of his mind.
1. Why do you think Og's thought kept returning to Simon Potter? Use examples from the Chapter to support your answer.
2. Have you ever had an experience of not being able to get someone off your mind? Describe that experience.
3. Og said that Simon both fascinated and frightened him. How and why do you think these feelings about Simon affected Og's thinking?
Essay Topic 3
Simon told Og that we all had more than enough ability to change our lives for the better.
1. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not? Use examples from your life and/or the book to support your answer.
2. What do you think needs to be changed in your life for the better? Do you believe you have the ability to achieve the change? Which abilities do you have and which do you believe you lack to change your life?
3. Choose a person you admire, either one you know or a famous person. Discuss why you admire the person, what she/he has done and what types of abilities they used to have the life they have.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)