|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the Marquis de Lafayette?
2. What is Morse Code?
3. With whom did James Fenimore Cooper walk the entire circumference of the city on foot?
4. To where was Louis Napoleon Bonaparte exiled in the 1830s after a failed to overthrow King Louis-Phillipe?
5. For what reason did George Healy return to America after eight years in 1842?
Short Essay Questions
1. What famous anti-slavery author toured Paris in 1853? What were her impressions of the city?
2. How did many of the Americans who arrived in Paris in the 1830s feel about the stringent laws regarding passports?
3. What were some of the professions of those who traveled to Paris in the 1830s? What reason did they have to travel to Paris?
4. What did Emma Willard note about the galleries in Paris that she found inspiring?
5. What was one of the most memorable landmarks the Americans would often stop to see on their way into Paris in the 1830s? Why were many Americans so impressed by this sight?
6. Who was president of France in the 1850s? How was he received by American diplomats?
7. How did the Americans travel the roads to Paris after arriving in Le Havre?
8. What was the primary mode of travel to Europe in the 1830s? What did many of these early travelers think of this mode of transportation?
9. In Morse's disappointment with his art career, what project did he turn his attention to? How did this project change the way people communicated at the time?
10. What were some of the biggest complaints against King Louis-Phillipe in 1847 that eventually led to the king going into exile?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was Elihu Washburne? What was his role in Paris? Why did Washburne not flee Paris along with other Americans before the Siege of Paris? How did Washburne help many Germans return to their country during the war? For what reason? How did Washburne arrange for the evacuation of many Americans from Paris in the days before the Siege of Paris began? How did the Siege of Paris impact Washburne's political career?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following people in an essay using quotes from the book to support your conclusions:
1) Charles Sumner
2) John Sanderson
3) Nathaniel Willis
4) Emma Willard.
Essay Topic 3
What is cholera? Why was it believed that it would never appear in a civilized city? How did people react when a cholera outbreak began in Paris in 1832? How did cholera affect its victims? What was the prognosis of a patient with cholera in 1832? What did Americans know of cholera? Why was it believed in the 1830s that cholera was a disease of the poor? Why did people believe that the government was actively poisoning the poor during the initial outbreak? How did Americans respond to this crisis?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)