|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Louis Napoleon?
2. What did Louis Napoleon Bonaparte say was his power?
3. Why did Samuel Morse wish to go to Paris in the 1830s?
4. What was Emma Willard's profession?
5. How did theater help Americans learn French?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Emma Willard note about the galleries in Paris that she found inspiring?
2. What invention did the artist Delacroix say marked the death of art? Who invented it?
3. What was the genre of James Fenimore Cooper's first novel? Why was it not successful?
4. For what reason did Americans prior to the 1830s embark to Paris? Who were these Americans?
5. What shift in the types of Americans coming to Paris took place in the late 1840s?
6. What one commission did Samuel Morse hope to get that he did not receive? Why did he not get it?
7. What was one of the most memorable landmarks the Americans would often stop to see on their way into Paris in the 1830s? Why were many Americans so impressed by this sight?
8. For what reason were many Americans disappointed with their first impressions of Paris?
9. How did many of the Americans who arrived in Paris in the 1830s feel about the stringent laws regarding passports?
10. What were some of the differences between medical training in the United States and medical training in Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is cholera? Why was it believed that it would never appear in a civilized city? How did people react when a cholera outbreak began in Paris in 1832? How did cholera affect its victims? What was the prognosis of a patient with cholera in 1832? What did Americans know of cholera? Why was it believed in the 1830s that cholera was a disease of the poor? Why did people believe that the government was actively poisoning the poor during the initial outbreak? How did Americans respond to this crisis?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay, using quotes from the book to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 3
What illness did August Saint-Gaudens suffer later in his life? Why did this illness cause Saint-Gaudens to fall into a dark depression? On what works was Saint-Gaudens working at the time? Why did he insist they be bronzed in Paris? Where did Saint-Gaudens move in July of 1900? for what reason? With whom would Saint-Gaudens live out the rest of his life? What was the Paris Saint-Gaudens left behind like? What influence did Paris continue to have on Americans? What influence does Paris have on Americans now?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)