|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a brig as described in Chapter 1?
2. When Morse was twenty-eight, who commissioned him for a portrait?
3. What language did Louis Napoleon Bonaparte prefer to speak when he did not want people to understand what he was saying?
4. Who was Louis Napoleon?
5. By what title was Louis Napoleon Bonaparte often referred?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Pierre-Charles-Alexandre Louis? Why was he important to Americans who went to Paris in the 1830s?
2. How did the Americans travel the roads to Paris after arriving in Le Havre?
3. What epidemic came to Paris in the spring of 1832 that forced many Americans to leave town?
4. How did many of the Americans who arrived in Paris in the 1830s feel about the stringent laws regarding passports?
5. What was the primary mode of travel to Europe in the 1830s? What did many of these early travelers think of this mode of transportation?
6. What were some of the professions of those who traveled to Paris in the 1830s? What reason did they have to travel to Paris?
7. Who was president of France in the 1850s? How was he received by American diplomats?
8. What aspect of living in Paris did many ladies from America appreciate the most?
9. Who was George Healy? Who was he commissioned to paint in the 1840s?
10. What one commission did Samuel Morse hope to get that he did not receive? Why did he not get it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in detail in an essay, using quotes from the book to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following historical events in an essay, using quotes from the book to support your conclusions:
1) Siege of Paris
2) American Civil War
3) Laying of the Transatlantic Cable
4) Invention of the telegraph.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay, using quotes from the book to support your conclusions:
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)