|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Samuel Morse wish to go to Paris in the 1830s?
2. What did Americans find unusual about the length of a day in Paris?
3. What was Charles Stratton's stage name?
4. What two specialties did the Ecole de Medecine offer its students?
5. What is Uncle Tom's Cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reason did Americans prior to the 1830s embark to Paris? Who were these Americans?
2. What were some of the professions of those who traveled to Paris in the 1830s? What reason did they have to travel to Paris?
3. Who was Pierre-Charles-Alexandre Louis? Why was he important to Americans who went to Paris in the 1830s?
4. What shift in the types of Americans coming to Paris took place in the late 1840s?
5. What epidemic came to Paris in the spring of 1832 that forced many Americans to leave town?
6. Who was George Healy? Who was he commissioned to paint in the 1840s?
7. For what reason were many Americans disappointed with their first impressions of Paris?
8. What were some of the differences between medical training in the United States and medical training in Paris?
9. What famous anti-slavery author toured Paris in 1853? What were her impressions of the city?
10. What kind of careers would most of the American doctors who trained in Paris have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following historical events in an essay, using quotes from the book to support your conclusions:
1) Siege of Paris
2) American Civil War
3) Laying of the Transatlantic Cable
4) Invention of the telegraph.
Essay Topic 2
Why did Americans want to go to Paris? Who was among the first Americans to travel to Paris in the 1830s? What was the main purpose for most of these people in the 1830s? What was the political atmosphere like in America during this time? How much influence did this have on the motives of those traveling to Paris? What was the trip to Paris like? What were some of the discomforts of this trip? What were some of the pleasures of this trip?
Essay Topic 3
What impact did many Americans who had visited and perhaps received education in Paris have on America upon their return? How did Charles Sumner impact politics before and during the Civil War? How did Healy impact the art world with his works of art commissioned by King Louis-Phillipe? How were Cooper's novels impacted by his time in Paris? How did Morse's time in Paris impact his invention of the telegraph? How did the telegraph impact the world?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)