|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the first American to be admitted to the Ecole des Beaux-Arts?
2. What is the Sorbonne?
3. Where was Morse working a great deal of the time during his stay in Paris?
4. Who did Mrs. Willard have a visit with upon arriving in Paris?
5. What is a brig as described in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the biggest complaints against King Louis-Phillipe in 1847 that eventually led to the king going into exile?
2. What invention did the artist Delacroix say marked the death of art? Who invented it?
3. What famous anti-slavery author toured Paris in 1853? What were her impressions of the city?
4. For what reason did Parisians place bodies recovered from the Seine on displayed?
5. Who was James McNeill Whistler? In what country did he spend most of his childhood? What did others think of Whistler during his time in Paris?
6. What was the primary mode of travel to Europe in the 1830s? What did many of these early travelers think of this mode of transportation?
7. What epidemic came to Paris in the spring of 1832 that forced many Americans to leave town?
8. What artist did James Fenimore Cooper befriend while living in Paris? Where was this artist completing most of his work during this friendship?
9. How did many of the Americans who arrived in Paris in the 1830s feel about the stringent laws regarding passports?
10. What aspect of living in Paris did many ladies from America appreciate the most?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What illness did August Saint-Gaudens suffer later in his life? Why did this illness cause Saint-Gaudens to fall into a dark depression? On what works was Saint-Gaudens working at the time? Why did he insist they be bronzed in Paris? Where did Saint-Gaudens move in July of 1900? for what reason? With whom would Saint-Gaudens live out the rest of his life? What was the Paris Saint-Gaudens left behind like? What influence did Paris continue to have on Americans? What influence does Paris have on Americans now?
Essay Topic 2
What is the Farragut? Who created it? What struggles did this person undergo in creating this piece of art? How did it impact his personal life? How did it impact his professional life? Where is the Farragut now? What other works did this artist create? Where are some of these works displayed? What impact did this artist have on the art world during his lifetime? What impact did Paris have on this artist and his career?
Essay Topic 3
Who was King Louis-Phillipe? What was the political climate like in Paris during the 1830s? How did this political climate impact Americans in Paris? What was the lifestyle of most Parisians like? How did this lifestyle differ from life in America? What things did the Americans in Paris adopt about the lifestyles of the French? What things did Americans disapprove of in the lifestyles of the French?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)