|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What buildings were set on fire by unknown arsonists in Paris in the spring of 1871?
(a) Hotel de Ville and the Louvre.
(b) Palais de Justice and the courthouse.
(c) Hotel de Ville and the Palais de Justice.
(d) The Louvre and the courthouse.
2. Why did Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr. return to Paris in 1886?
(a) To show his daughter the magic and glory of Paris.
(b) To attend the opera.
(c) To revisit some of the places that had such a strong impact on his life.
(d) To visit old friends.
3. Who was Louis Saint-Gaudens?
(a) Gussie's brother.
(b) Gussie's father-in-law.
(c) Augustus' brother.
(d) Augustus' cousin.
4. Who was Stanford White?
(a) A sculptor.
(b) A writer.
(c) A doctor.
(d) An architect.
5. For what reason did Healy travel to Germany in 1876?
(a) To visit friends.
(b) To attend a new art class.
(c) To paint a landscape.
(d) To paint Otto von Bismarck.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Parisians receive news of the battles taking place throughout the countryside during the days leading up to the siege of Paris?
2. How did John Singer Sargent pay his expenses early in his career?
3. How old was Augustus Saint-Gaudens when his father apprenticed him to a cameo cutter?
4. In 1919, Gussie Saint-Gaudens had what turned into the Saint-Gaudens Memorial?
5. For what reasons did Gussie often avoid social situations early in her marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons did Augustus Saint-Gaudens give friends for not enlisting in the French military in 1870?
2. For what reason did Healy and his family choose to return to Paris in 1871?
3. What made the Sargent portrait, Madame X, so controversial in its time?
4. What type of paintings did John Singer Sargent paint most often?
5. What were the terms of France's surrender to the Germans in 1871?
6. What is the Farragut? Who does it portray?
7. What is significant about the arrival of Isadora Duncan in Paris in 1901?
8. Why was the Eiffel Tower dubbed the Tower of Babel before it was even constructed?
9. For what reasons did John Singer Sargent choose to make his home in Paris in 1874?
10. Who was Mary Cassatt's most loyal companion? How did she die? How did this impact Cassatt?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)