|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Stanford White?
(a) An architect.
(b) A writer.
(c) A sculptor.
(d) A doctor.
2. What experience did Washburne have before being sent to Paris?
(a) Congress committees dealing with French affairs.
(b) Ministry in Italy.
(d) Congress committees dealing with foreign affairs.
3. How old was Augustus Saint-Gaudens when his father apprenticed him to a cameo cutter?
4. Why did Washburne move to Paris in 1870?
(a) To teach.
(b) For education.
(c) He was exiled from America.
(d) He was the new American minister.
5. In 1919, Gussie Saint-Gaudens had what turned into the Saint-Gaudens Memorial?
(a) Saint-Gaudens' apartment in New York City.
(b) Saint-Gaudens' house in Connecticut.
(c) Saint-Gaudens' home and studio in Cornish, New Hampshire.
(d) Saint-Gaudens' flat and studio in Paris.
Short Answer Questions
1. What episode seems to have created some discord in Saint-Gaudens marriage in 1889?
2. What profession did Augustus Saint-Gaudens' uncle have?
3. What was Vernon Lee's real name?
4. Where did Washburne make his first stand as a lawyer?
5. What huge political event was taking place when Augustus Saint-Gaudens was a cameo cutter apprentice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Mary Cassatt's most loyal companion? How did she die? How did this impact Cassatt?
2. What skill did Saint-Gaudens have that many of his fellow students often ask him to share with the class?
3. Who was among some Americans who returned to Paris after many years to reflect on the impact the city had on their lives and careers?
4. What reasons did Augustus Saint-Gaudens give friends for not enlisting in the French military in 1870?
5. What caused some of the delays with Saint-Gaudens' creation of the Farragut?
6. What were the terms of France's surrender to the Germans in 1871?
7. What is considered Augustus Saint-Gaudens' greatest monument?
8. What was the Paris Commune? How was it connected to communism?
9. What caused a second exodus out of Paris in 1871?
10. For what reason did General Louis Trochu refuse to allow people to leave Paris during his army's siege of the city?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)