|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Saint-Gaudens meet White?
(a) At the Louvre in Paris.
(b) While working on Trinity Church in Boston.
(c) While studying in Boston.
(d) At the German Savings Bank.
2. What happened when Lillie Moulton attempted to get a passport in March of 1871?
(b) She was denied.
(c) She was disrespected.
(d) She was arrested.
3. Where did Augustus Saint-Gaudens teach art for a time?
(a) Columbia University.
(b) The Art Students League.
(c) New York University.
4. For what reasons did Gussie often avoid social situations early in her marriage?
(a) She did not like the French.
(b) She was hard of hearing and knew little French.
(c) She was claustrophobic.
(d) She did not like Augustus' friends.
5. How did John Singer Sargent pay his expenses early in his career?
(a) Working as a teacher.
(b) His father's money.
(c) His wife's money.
(d) His mother's money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who descended on the Moulton Estate on May 9, 1871?
2. What was Vernon Lee's profession?
3. Where did Mary Cassatt make her debut as an Impressionist?
4. How many siblings did Mary Cassatt have?
5. Who commonly wore cameos during the time in which Saint-Gaudens was an apprentice in the art of cutting cameos?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the Eiffel Tower dubbed the Tower of Babel before it was even constructed?
2. For what reason did Healy and his family choose to return to Paris in 1871?
3. What was Augustus Saint-Gaudens' relationship to Davida Clark?
4. What caused a second exodus out of Paris in 1871?
5. What was the Paris Commune? How was it connected to communism?
6. Who was among some Americans who returned to Paris after many years to reflect on the impact the city had on their lives and careers?
7. What was the American Ambulance? Who created it?
8. What is the Farragut? Who does it portray?
9. What accomplishment did Elihu Washburne's maternal grandfather complete that made Washburne's mother deeply proud of him?
10. Who was Elihu Washburne? Why did he refuse to leave Paris in 1870 when troops began to descend on Paris?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)