|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much older than the discovery of America by Columbus was the cathedral at Rouen?
(a) Two hundred years.
(b) Less than a hundred years.
(c) Fifty years.
(d) More than three hundred years.
2. How large is Webster's Reply to Hayne by George Healy?
(a) 30 x 27 feet.
(b) 6 x 9 feet.
(c) 15 x 27 feet.
(d) 10 x 14 feet.
3. What American building did Pierre-Charles L'Enfant design?
(a) The Capitol.
(b) Mount Vernon.
(c) The Pentagon.
(d) The White House.
4. Why did Samuel Morse wish to go to Paris in the 1830s?
(a) To study.
(b) To meet a suitable woman to marry.
(c) To be free of responsibility.
(d) To write.
5. Besides creating portraits, what other means of making money did Samuel Morse pursue before moving to Paris?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened on February 22, 1847?
2. What was thought to be a cause for the spread of diseases such as cholera?
3. Who was the queen of Boston society when George Healy was still a budding artist?
4. Who was P.T.Barnum?
5. What is Morse Code?
Short Essay Questions
1. What one commission did Samuel Morse hope to get that he did not receive? Why did he not get it?
2. Who taught Samuel Morse to paint? What career would his parents have preferred he pursued?
3. What invention did the artist Delacroix say marked the death of art? Who invented it?
4. What did Emma Willard note about the galleries in Paris that she found inspiring?
5. What famous anti-slavery author toured Paris in 1853? What were her impressions of the city?
6. What did the Americans find unusual about the way in which Parisians took their meals?
7. Who was Pierre-Charles-Alexandre Louis? Why was he important to Americans who went to Paris in the 1830s?
8. What kind of careers would most of the American doctors who trained in Paris have?
9. How did many of the Americans who arrived in Paris in the 1830s feel about the stringent laws regarding passports?
10. What famous painting did Healy complete in Paris in 1850? What American political event did this painting portray?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)