|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Among the works Saint-Gaudens created during his final days in Paris, which portrayed a controversial Civil War figure still living who posed for several sittings for Saint-Gaudens to create a bust to help int he creation of a statue?
2. Where did Mary Putnam spend one night during the barrage of the Left Bank?
(a) The Sorbonne.
(b) Under the Pantheon.
(c) The Louvre.
(d) The banks of the Siene.
3. Who was Stanford White?
(a) A writer.
(b) An architect.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A sculptor.
4. What was the profession of Augustus Saint-Gaudens' father?
(a) Shoe store owner.
5. Why did Washburne move to Paris in 1870?
(a) He was the new American minister.
(b) He was exiled from America.
(c) To teach.
(d) For education.
6. Where did Washburne get his legal degree?
(a) New York University.
7. Which two famous artists in Paris were impacted by the fire in Chicago in 1871?
(a) George Healy and Samuel Morse.
(b) George Catlin and Henri Pill.
(c) George Healy and Mary Cassatt.
(d) Mary Cassatt and Samuel Morse.
8. Where did Augustus Saint-Gaudens teach art for a time?
(a) Columbia University.
(b) The Art Students League.
(c) New York University.
9. Where did Parisians receive news of the battles taking place throughout the countryside during the days leading up to the siege of Paris?
(a) Word of mouth.
(b) Incoming casualties.
10. Who designed Lady Liberty?
(a) George Healy.
(b) Auguste Bartholdi.
(c) Gustave Eiffel.
(d) Augustus Saint-Gaudens.
11. Who commonly wore cameos during the time in which Saint-Gaudens was an apprentice in the art of cutting cameos?
12. What buildings were set on fire by unknown arsonists in Paris in the spring of 1871?
(a) Hotel de Ville and the Palais de Justice.
(b) Hotel de Ville and the Louvre.
(c) The Louvre and the courthouse.
(d) Palais de Justice and the courthouse.
13. In 1919, Gussie Saint-Gaudens had what turned into the Saint-Gaudens Memorial?
(a) Saint-Gaudens' flat and studio in Paris.
(b) Saint-Gaudens' home and studio in Cornish, New Hampshire.
(c) Saint-Gaudens' apartment in New York City.
(d) Saint-Gaudens' house in Connecticut.
14. When did Washburne win election into the Congress?
15. What group of artists did Mary Cassatt embrace in 1875?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Vernon Lee's real name?
2. For what reasons did Gussie often avoid social situations early in her marriage?
3. What experience did Washburne have before being sent to Paris?
4. What was the overwhelming feeling of most Americans who were stuck in Paris during the siege?
5. For what reason did Henry Adams hire Saint-Gaudens?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)