|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What profession did Augustus Saint-Gaudens' uncle have?
(a) Demolitions expert.
(b) Theater set designer.
2. What habit did Saint-Gaudens' teachers have that he carried on into his own work?
(a) Working in complete silence.
(b) Singing as they worked.
(c) Reciting poetry while working.
(d) Working without companionship.
3. Who did Washburne help leave Paris at the beginning of the trouble with Germany?
(b) All Americans.
(d) Americans with German ancestry.
4. Who was John Singer Sargent?
5. Of what battle was Admiral David Galsgow Farragut best remembered?
(a) Battle of Mobile Bay.
(b) Battle of the Atlantic.
(c) Battle of Yorktown.
(d) Battle of the Gulf of Mexico.
6. How did Saint-Gaudens meet White?
(a) At the Louvre in Paris.
(b) While working on Trinity Church in Boston.
(c) While studying in Boston.
(d) At the German Savings Bank.
7. What painting did John Singer Sargent create of his art teacher?
(c) Madame X.
8. What happened to the government of France on April 4, 1871?
(a) The Commune was all murdered.
(b) The Commune elected a new president.
(c) The Commune appointed a dictator.
(d) The Commune was impeached.
9. What nationality was Augustus Saint-Gaudens' mother?
10. What writer became a close friend to Saint-Gaudens, causing him great grief when the writer died in 1885?
(a) Robert Louis Stevenson.
(b) James Fenimore Cooper.
(c) Charles Nordhoff.
(d) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
11. Where did Washburne make his first stand as a lawyer?
(a) North Carolina.
(c) New York.
12. From what illness did Mary Cassatt's sister, Lydia, suffer?
(a) Muscular dystrophy.
(b) Bright's disease.
13. Who taught Elihu Latin?
(a) His wife.
(b) His sister.
(c) His mother.
(d) His uncle.
14. What famous politician was a friend of Washburne's?
(a) Stephen Douglas.
(b) Ulysses Grant.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) John Quincy Adams.
15. Who was among the artists that John Singer Sargent admired?
Short Answer Questions
1. On what committee did Washburne serve as chairman?
2. For what reason did Henry Adams hire Saint-Gaudens?
3. What happened when Lillie Moulton attempted to get a passport in March of 1871?
4. What was considered the most important aspect of a cameo's success?
5. How old was Mary Cassatt when she made her debut as an Impressionist?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)