|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who commonly wore cameos during the time in which Saint-Gaudens was an apprentice in the art of cutting cameos?
2. What was Vernon Lee's profession?
(b) Art critic.
(d) Novelist and essayist.
3. Who was Charles-Emile-Auguste Durand?
(a) A writer.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A medical professor.
(d) An art master.
4. What famous politician was a friend of Washburne's?
(a) Stephen Douglas.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) John Quincy Adams.
(d) Ulysses Grant.
5. What ailment left Gussie Saint-Gaudens feeling isolated late in life?
6. What was considered the most important aspect of a cameo's success?
7. What was Innocents Abroad?
(a) Mark Twain's favorite poem.
(b) Mark Twain's most famous short story.
(c) Mark Twain's best selling book during his lifetime.
(d) Mark Twain's favorite theater show.
8. How did Charles Moulton amuse the invaders at his home in May of 1871?
(a) By faking a heart attack.
(b) By singing to the invaders.
(c) By badly mispronouncing his French.
(d) By refusing to allow them to take his animals.
9. Which two famous artists in Paris were impacted by the fire in Chicago in 1871?
(a) George Healy and Mary Cassatt.
(b) Mary Cassatt and Samuel Morse.
(c) George Catlin and Henri Pill.
(d) George Healy and Samuel Morse.
10. What fellow artist did Augustus Saint-Gaudens often exchange work with?
(a) George Healy.
(b) Mary Cassatt.
(c) John Singer Sargent.
(d) Carroll Beckwith.
11. What was the quickest killer of those locked in Paris during the siege?
(a) Battle wounds.
(d) Gun fire.
12. What episode seems to have created some discord in Saint-Gaudens marriage in 1889?
(a) A very public affair on Saint-Gaudens' part.
(b) An affair with Adams on Gussie's part.
(c) The death of their son, Homer.
(d) The birth of a son to Davida Clark, Saint-Gaudens' mistress.
13. Among the works Saint-Gaudens created during his final days in Paris, which portrayed a controversial Civil War figure still living who posed for several sittings for Saint-Gaudens to create a bust to help int he creation of a statue?
14. At the request of Theodore Roosevelt, Saint-Gaudens created what?
(a) Designs for the Presidential seal.
(b) Designs for United States paper money.
(c) Designs for the CIA's logo.
(d) Designs for United States gold coinage.
15. What political office did people want Washburne to run for after he left Paris?
(b) State senate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What medium did Saint-Gaudens use to create the initial image of Farragut for the memorial?
2. In 1919, Gussie Saint-Gaudens had what turned into the Saint-Gaudens Memorial?
3. For what reason did Healy travel to Germany in 1876?
4. What happened to the government of France on April 4, 1871?
5. On what committee did Washburne serve as chairman?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)