|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language did Louis Napoleon Bonaparte prefer to speak when he did not want people to understand what he was saying?
2. What did Louis Napoleon Bonaparte say was his power?
(a) His looks.
(b) His family history.
(c) His name.
(d) His charm.
3. How did Antoine Gros die?
4. For shat portrait did George Healy win his first medal at the Paris Salon?
(a) One of Mrs. Otis.
(b) One of Mrs. Cass.
(c) One of Queen Victoria.
(d) One of the American minister to France, General Lewis Cass.
5. What were the June Days of 1848?
(a) The first days of the new republic in France.
(b) Four days of horrendous fighting.
(c) A month of peace during the new revolution.
(d) The beginning of war with Germany.
6. What profession did Ralph Waldo Emerson leave prior to going to Paris in 1833?
7. What did the American minister to Paris do in the wake of King Louis-Phillipe's abdication?
(a) Ordered all Americans to leave the country.
(b) Waited for orders from the President.
(c) Recognized the new government.
8. What helped bring more visitors to Paris from the rest of Europe?
(a) New ships.
(b) New public transit.
(c) New railroads.
(d) New vehicles.
9. Who was Oliver Wendell Holmes?
(a) An artist.
(b) A historian.
(c) A judge.
(d) A writer.
10. Who was Antoine Gros?
(a) An art teacher.
(b) A law professor.
(c) An art student.
(d) A medical teacher.
11. Where did many Americans in the 1830s get their information on Paris and its culture?
(a) From previous travels.
(b) From the styles and art of Paris.
(c) From gossip.
(d) From the newspapers and literature.
12. What is a brig as described in Chapter 1?
(a) A two-masted square-rigged ship that carried cargo.
(b) A single-masted round rigged ship that carried passengers.
(c) A millitary jail.
(d) A cruise ship.
13. How far was the trip from La Havre to Paris?
(a) 150 miles.
(b) 50 miles.
(c) 10 miles.
(d) 110 miles.
14. Who was the queen of Boston society when George Healy was still a budding artist?
(a) Lucretia Morse.
(b) Sally Foster Otis.
(c) Mary Cassatt.
(d) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
15. To what college did Samuel Morse go?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Charles Stratton's stage name?
2. What was the first news article to appear about the daguerreotype in the United States?
3. Who did Mrs. Willard have a visit with upon arriving in Paris?
4. What did Ralph Waldo Emerson say was one of the chief draws of Paris to young men?
5. What was considered the grandest and most exuberant expression of the Second Empire opulence?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)