Chapter One: The Way Over
1. Who was Benjamin Franklin?
(a) A French teacher.
(b) An American artist in Paris.
(c) A French immigrant.
(d) An American diplomat, politician, writer, and inventor.
2. Who was Oliver Wendell Holmes?
(a) A judge.
(b) An artist.
(c) A writer.
(d) A historian.
3. Why did Oliver Wendell Holmes choose to travel to Paris in the 1830s?
(a) To further his education.
(b) To join friends.
(c) To learn from Parisian artists.
(d) To vacation.
4. What was James Fenimore Cooper's most well known novel prior to his travels to Paris?
(a) The Last of the Mohicans.
(b) The Ways of the Hour.
(c) Lives of Distinguished American Naval Officers.
(d) The Deerslayer.
5. What is the Sorbonne?
(a) An art museum.
(b) A highly respected Paris university.
(c) A Paris hospital.
(d) A church.
6. Why did Samuel Morse wish to go to Paris in the 1830s?
(a) To be free of responsibility.
(b) To meet a suitable woman to marry.
(c) To write.
(d) To study.
This section contains 4,350 words
(approx. 15 pages at 300 words per page)