|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Over a period of time, the soldiers became polarized in their _____.
(c) Way of life.
(d) Spending money.
2. Fussell quotes Hardy, "Irony is the attendant of hope, and the fuel of hope is _______"
3. In total, about how many miles of trenches were built around an area and used around the winter of 1914?
(a) Two thousand.
(b) Three thousand.
(c) One thousand.
(d) Two thousand five hundred.
4. According to the British commander, what was obvious to him throughout the first part of the war?
(a) They needed a better attack plan.
(b) They needed more army members.
(c) They needed a stronger army.
(d) They needed men to enlist.
5. This rumor also stated that this German person was wearing _____.
(b) Steel helmets.
(c) Soft cap.
(d) No answers are correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the third volume of the trilogy, where is Sherston?
2. In Memoirs of a Fox-Hunting Man where is the main character in autumn of 1914?
3. At the beginning of World War I, what was the British's biggest problem?
4. Fussell makes reference that some people thought the direction the farmers were plowing was an indication of _____.
5. Most of the author's reference of sunrise and sunset are gone by what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did various authors bring in the topic of the sunrise and sunset in reference to the war?
2. How does George Sherston use the sky within his writings?
3. Describe Haig's command at the Battle of Somme in March 1918?
4. What happens to soldiers when they spend a lot of time in the trenches during war time?
5. What was the British's army biggest problem?
6. What is the myth of the ruined basilica with a statue of the Virgin and Child on top in Albert, France?
7. What is the relationship between the officers and the soldiers?
8. What three things happened in November 1918 when the Allies broke through the German lines with their counterattack?
9. Rumors of most wars concern deserters. What do these rumors say?
10. Explain the story of the Crucified Canadian?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)