|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Some rumors fed many _____.
(c) Short stories.
2. What was the difference between British commanders Haig and Plumer?
(d) Strategic planning.
3. What were these trenches called?
(a) British Line.
(b) German Line.
(c) Line of Belguim.
(d) French ditches.
4. When soldiers wrote letters home, they were not always _____.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) Respectful when writing about others.
5. Who is the author of the poem that spoke of symbolism for the colors for hospitalization and injury?
(a) Siegfried Sassoon.
(b) Stuart Cloete.
(c) George Sherston
6. The last of the volumes of Siegfried Sassoon's works is called _____.
(a) Siegfried's Journey.
(b) Siegfried's Journey Through Life.
(c) Siegfried's Life.
(d) Siegfried's Travel.
7. Where did this battle the British commander was preparing for against the Germans take place?
8. Fussell quotes Hardy, "Irony is the attendant of hope, and the fuel of hope is _______"
9. In Memoirs of a Fox-Hunting Man where is the main character in autumn of 1914?
(b) Front Line.
(c) Firing Line.
(d) Reserve Line.
10. A rumor was that Germany had someone in the trenches prior to wartime. Who was it?
11. Fussell shares a story of a soldier who was said to be crucified. What country is this soldier from?
12. During World War II, where did many soldiers fight from?
(a) Far from home.
(b) In another country.
(c) Close to home.
(d) On another continent.
13. How were the German trenches in contrast to the British trenches?
(a) They are deeper and wetter.
(b) They are wet and damp.
(c) They are cleaner and wetter.
(d) They are deeper and cleaner.
14. This rumor also stated that this German person was wearing _____.
(a) Soft cap.
(b) Steel helmets.
(c) No answers are correct.
15. At the 1916 Haig disaster, what equipment was introduced as a weapon?
(a) Machine gun.
(b) All answers are incorrect.
Short Answer Questions
1. Within the trenches, how many lines of troops were stationed there in war time?
2. Rumors of war have what type of effect?
3. The writer George Sherston uses the sky to describe _____.
4. According to Fussell, personalities change as people are exposed to _____.
5. The farmers who continued to work their fields behind the lines were surrounded by what?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)