|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What author does Fussell mention in representing the idea of crucifixion?
(a) Wilfred Owen.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) Sigfried Sassoon.
(d) Robert Nichol.
2. What colors came to symbolize injury and hospitalization?
(a) Yellow, red, and blue.
(b) Red, white, and green.
(c) Yellow, red, and green.
(d) Red, white, and blue.
3. During war time, what was censored?
4. Over a period of time, the soldiers became polarized in their _____.
(a) Way of life.
(d) Spending money.
5. How many men were killed on one day in the 1916 battle between the Germans and the British?
(a) More than fifty thousand men.
(b) More than seventy thousand men.
(c) More than forty thousand men.
(d) More than sixty thousand men.
6. A rumor of most wars concerns _____.
7. One store that had a gift assortment that could be sent to men at the front was _____.
(c) JC Penney.
8. Within the trenches, how many lines of troops were stationed there in war time?
9. According to this crucifixion story, who stood around until this soldier died?
10. What month and year did America enter World War I?
(a) April 1918.
(b) April 1917.
(c) March 1918.
(d) May 1917.
11. In his writing, Hardy captures the fact he could hear _____ across the Channel?
12. About how far from the enemy were the first line of troops stationed in the trenches?
(a) Fifty yards.
(b) Two hundred yards.
(c) One hundred fifty yards.
(d) Two hundred fifty yards.
13. According to the crucifixion story, what held this soldiers hands and feet so that this soldier was crucified?
14. According to Fussell, personalities change as people are exposed to _____.
15. According to the British commander, what was obvious to him throughout the first part of the war?
(a) They needed a better attack plan.
(b) They needed a stronger army.
(c) They needed men to enlist.
(d) They needed more army members.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are the Germans usually described in by soldiers who spent long periods of time in the trenches?
2. According to the crucifixion story, what was the soldier crucified to?
3. What are the prolonged implications from soldiers forced in the trenches for a long period of time?
4. In what month was the peace armistice signed for World War I?
5. Specifically stated in the story, the troops in the trenches felt how?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)