|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animals scavenged food at the rail station in Toungoo in Chapter 17?
2. Where had the young man traveling to Bangkok sought romantic advice?
(a) From a swami.
(b) From an imam.
(c) From a palm reader.
(d) From a Buddhist monk.
3. Which Hindu deity did the Bengalis worship in the other festival described by Theroux in Chapter 16?
4. What religion did Bernard's father follow?
5. Where did the tattooed American think he needed to go to earn a lot of money?
(d) Hong Kong.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the common form of transportation in Calcutta described by Theroux in Chapter 16?
2. In what year was the Goktiek Viaduct built?
3. What was the surname of the local USIS official in Hue?
4. In what town did Theroux find cheap brothels and plentiful opium in Chapter 20?
5. What local delicacy did Theroux find for sale to passengers at the stations in Burma?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Theroux describe the Burmese government as a Buddhist bureaucracy?
2. How did Theroux feel about the fast trains between cities in Japan?
3. How did Theroux describe the clothes laundering he witnessed from the trains in Asia?
4. How was the American woman living in Sapporo welcomed into the Japanese fold in the story retold in Chapter 27?
5. What common prostitution story did Theroux hear numerous times during his travels and how did the story told in Laos differ?
6. Why was the man on the train to Calcutta running away from his girlfriend?
7. Describe the Kali religious festival from Chapter 16.
8. What was Theroux's reaction to the sight of the Goktiek Viaduct?
9. Why were there no skiers on the mountain in Japan, despite the large amount of perfect snow?
10. Why did Mr. Lau dislike Kuala Lumpur?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)