|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did every train include in the Goktiek area?
(a) A sleeper car.
(b) A dining car.
(c) A caboose.
(d) An armored van behind the engine.
2. What interrupted Theroux's conversation at the Japanese National Railways office?
(a) An emergency warning.
(b) Announcements over the loudspeakers.
(c) Music over the loudspeakers.
(d) An argument among passengers.
3. How often did Japanese workers receive a bonus?
(a) Four times a year.
(b) Once a year.
(c) Once every four years.
(d) Twice a year.
4. What were the Buddhist monks doing when Theroux encountered them in Mandalay in Chapter 17?
(a) Passing out flowers.
(b) Offering prayers to travelers.
(c) Handing out religious tracts.
5. What local delicacy did Theroux find for sale to passengers at the stations in Burma?
(a) Fried locusts.
(b) Fried mealworms.
(c) Fried grasshoppers.
(d) Fried ants.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the official going through the train checking the IDs of civilian males?
2. In what town did Theroux find cheap brothels and plentiful opium in Chapter 20?
3. How long did the professor's course of Henry James' The Golden Bowl last?
4. How many rooms were in Bernard's mansion?
5. What was the surname of the local USIS official in Hue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Theroux's main impressions of Singapore?
2. Why did Theroux leave behind his passport and camera while trying to go to the Goktiek Viaduct?
3. How did Westerners and Japanese react to the suicide of the Japanese writer, Yukio Mishima?
4. What image was brought to mind by the sight of the Japanese workers doing mass calisthenics?
5. Describe Theroux's visit to the tourism office in Vietnam.
6. Why was the man on the train to Calcutta running away from his girlfriend?
7. Describe the Kali religious festival from Chapter 16.
8. How was Theroux treated at the hotel in Mandalay?
9. What common prostitution story did Theroux hear numerous times during his travels and how did the story told in Laos differ?
10. Who were the American-looking children Theroux saw throughout Vietnam?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)