|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the Vietnamese woman doing with the half-American baby on the train through Vietnam?
(a) She was trying to get passage out of Vietnam.
(b) She was trying to get money.
(c) She was a prostitute looking for work.
(d) She was trying to give the baby to Theroux.
2. What was the nickname of Highway One between Hue and Danang?
(a) Street Without Joy.
(b) Street Without Happiness.
(c) Street Without Peace.
(d) Street Without Pity.
3. Which religion's festival was banned in India?
4. Where did the tattooed American think he needed to go to earn a lot of money?
(a) Hong Kong.
5. What Japanese city did Theroux decide he would never bother visiting again?
Short Answer Questions
1. How far apart are Tokyo and Kyoto?
2. What were workers in Singapore forbidden from doing?
3. What kind of stories did Hirai Taro specialize in?
4. What did Theroux write the Japanese took perverse pride in?
5. How many feet did the train ascend before descending into the gorge in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Theroux find the Singapore government's prediction of electronic connectedness so disturbing?
2. What common prostitution story did Theroux hear numerous times during his travels and how did the story told in Laos differ?
3. Why were the Vietnamese focused on providing foreign visitors with privileges?
4. How did Colonel Tuan believe Vietnamese viewed Americans as the war wound down?
5. What did Theroux find disturbing about Osaka?
6. How did Westerners and Japanese react to the suicide of the Japanese writer, Yukio Mishima?
7. Why was the man on the train to Calcutta running away from his girlfriend?
8. How did Theroux describe the clothes laundering he witnessed from the trains in Asia?
9. Describe the Kali religious festival from Chapter 16.
10. What image was brought to mind by the sight of the Japanese workers doing mass calisthenics?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)