|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religion did Bernard's father follow?
2. What was the common form of transportation in Calcutta described by Theroux in Chapter 16?
3. What did Theroux witness the Japanese workers doing at the National Railways office?
(c) Tai Chi.
(d) Jumping jacks.
4. How much time did Theroux have to board the train to Sapporo in Aomori?
(a) Five minutes.
(b) One hour.
(c) Fifteen minutes.
(d) Thirty minutes.
5. What did Theroux buy at the Naung-Peng station while waiting for the next train?
(a) A cigar.
(c) A book.
(d) A newspaper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the surname of the local USIS official in Hue?
2. What kind of stories did Hirai Taro specialize in?
3. What did Mr. Lau sell when not working as a civil servant?
4. Why was the official going through the train checking the IDs of civilian males?
5. How many Chinese were killed in the Malaysian riots referenced at the beginning of Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Theroux leave behind his passport and camera while trying to go to the Goktiek Viaduct?
2. What were Theroux's main impressions of Singapore?
3. Why did Theroux refer to Laos as "America's expensive practical joke"?
4. What common prostitution story did Theroux hear numerous times during his travels and how did the story told in Laos differ?
5. Why did Theroux find the Singapore government's prediction of electronic connectedness so disturbing?
6. Why were the Vietnamese focused on providing foreign visitors with privileges?
7. Describe the Japanese obsession with the high cost of living in Japan.
8. What image was brought to mind by the sight of the Japanese workers doing mass calisthenics?
9. What did Theroux find disturbing about Osaka?
10. What are the differences between Japanese and American consumers?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)