|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sites did the tourism director, Mr. Ngoc, try to advertise to draw visitors?
(a) The beaches.
(b) The historical sites.
(c) The brothels.
(d) The sites related to famous battles.
2. What was the Vietnamese woman doing with the half-American baby on the train through Vietnam?
(a) She was trying to get money.
(b) She was trying to get passage out of Vietnam.
(c) She was trying to give the baby to Theroux.
(d) She was a prostitute looking for work.
3. In what year was the Goktiek Viaduct built?
4. How far apart are Tokyo and Kyoto?
(a) 150 miles.
(b) 100 miles.
(c) 300 miles.
(d) 400 miles.
5. What American song was playing in a Burmese style aboard the train in Burma in Chapter 17?
(a) Marrakesh Express.
(b) A Whiter Shade of Pale.
(c) Deep Purple.
(d) The Weight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Theroux buy at the Naung-Peng station while waiting for the next train?
2. What did the security officer note Theroux did not have when he claimed to be a tourist?
3. What Russian novel was Theroux reading in Chapter 21?
4. What was the code name of Theroux's American host in Saigon?
5. What was Theroux staring at for 15 minutes while at The Mess?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the family planning experts react to Theroux's questioning about the sizes of their own families?
2. Describe the Kali religious festival from Chapter 16.
3. What image was brought to mind by the sight of the Japanese workers doing mass calisthenics?
4. Describe the Japanese obsession with the high cost of living in Japan.
5. What was Theroux's reaction to the sight of the Goktiek Viaduct?
6. Why did Theroux find the Singapore government's prediction of electronic connectedness so disturbing?
7. Why did Theroux leave behind his passport and camera while trying to go to the Goktiek Viaduct?
8. Why did Theroux describe the Burmese government as a Buddhist bureaucracy?
9. How did Mr. Bernard treat Theroux at his mansion in maymyo?
10. Why were the Vietnamese focused on providing foreign visitors with privileges?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)