|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who built the jail in Kabul in 1626?
(b) King Babar.
(c) Ahmad Khan.
(d) Genghis Khan.
2. What was the name of Gandhi's birthplace, visited by Theroux in Chapter 10?
3. What was the feast day of the saint to whom the Ceylonese were praying?
(a) September 28.
(b) October 28.
(c) October 15.
(d) November 1.
4. Where did the Parsis place their dead?
(a) Towers of Faith.
(b) Towers of Silence.
(c) Towers of Death.
(d) Towers of Zoroaster.
5. What magazine was the elderly Indian man reading at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(b) Rolling Stone.
(d) Bollywood Today.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened with the Orient Express when it went through the Alpine tunnel in Chapter 2?
2. What was baksheesh?
3. What Joyce book did Theroux take on the train in Chapter 12?
4. Why was the Canadian couple going to Australia?
5. Where did many of the dentists in Simla come from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Theroux fascinated by the taxi driver's offer of a prostitute in the Bay of Bengal?
2. Why did Theroux find it insane that people were attending an American literature conference in Ceylon?
3. Why did Theroux think the Orient Express was used as the setting for many stories of criminal intrigues?
4. What is the primary lesson about India's future that Theroux took from his nighttime wanderings around Bombay?
5. Describe the American hippies encountered by Theroux on the Turkish railway.
6. What were Theroux's impressions of the Pakistani city of Peshawar?
7. What was Theroux's reaction to the German drug addict he met in India in Chapter 8?
8. Why had Sadik still not taken a pilgrimage to Mecca when he met Theroux in Chapter 4?
9. Why was Theroux unwilling to explain his first impressions of India to Vishnua Bhardwaj, the Accountant General on the train to Simla?
10. What is ironic about the treatment of the young Indian man fleeing London's racism in Chapter 7?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)