|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What crop did the people of Pakhtoonistan hope to derive income from after declaring their independence from Pakistan?
(a) Dried fruit.
2. What university did the professor teach at in Chapter 11?
(a) Jaipur University.
(b) Delhi University.
(c) Bhopal University.
(d) Rajasthan Univesity.
3. Where did many of the dentists in Simla come from?
4. What author was Theroux reading at the end of Chapter 11?
5. What was the tall, four-foot wide box found in the individual compartment in Chapter 9?
(a) A storage space for luggage.
(b) A folding bed.
(c) An old refrigerator.
(d) An old air conditioning unit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What baseball player was the focus of articles in the English-language paper in Teheran?
2. How long before departure were VIP seats reserved on Indian trains?
3. How high did the railway climb through the pass?
4. What Joyce book did Theroux take on the train in Chapter 12?
5. What English novelist once wrote, "The journey is the goal"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the city of Teheran as encountered by Theroux in Chapter 4.
2. Describe the special requirements and characteristics of the Sikh religion outlined by Theroux in Chapter 8.
3. What were Theroux's impressions of the alleged tombs of Cain and Abel?
4. What is the primary lesson about India's future that Theroux took from his nighttime wanderings around Bombay?
5. How had Afghanistan changed since the military coup of 1973?
6. What were Theroux's impressions of the Pakistani city of Peshawar?
7. Describe the American hippies encountered by Theroux on the Turkish railway.
8. Why had Sadik still not taken a pilgrimage to Mecca when he met Theroux in Chapter 4?
9. How did Theroux describe the Australians he encountered on the trains?
10. Why did Theroux find it insane that people were attending an American literature conference in Ceylon?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)