|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long was the trip to Lahore?
(a) Five hours.
(b) Fifteen hours.
(c) Twelve hours.
(d) Twenty hours.
2. What crop did the people of Pakhtoonistan hope to derive income from after declaring their independence from Pakistan?
(b) Dried fruit.
3. Which faith is holy in the city of Amritsar?
4. What happened with the Orient Express when it went through the Alpine tunnel in Chapter 2?
(a) The lights went out.
(b) The train stopped.
(c) The train sped up.
(d) The train slowed down significantly.
5. What was the feast day of the saint to whom the Ceylonese were praying?
(a) October 15.
(b) September 28.
(c) October 28.
(d) November 1.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the mountain pass between Pakistan and Afghanistan?
2. What does the frieze in the Peshawar Museum depict?
3. At what French station did the train join the Orient Express?
4. Approximately how many of these animals did Theroux see?
5. What English novelist once wrote, "The journey is the goal"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the city of Teheran as encountered by Theroux in Chapter 4.
2. What is the primary lesson about India's future that Theroux took from his nighttime wanderings around Bombay?
3. Describe the Afghan prison conditions mentioned by Mr. Haq in Chapter 6.
4. In Theroux's view, how did the strictures of Islam affect Pakistani men?
5. What were Theroux's impressions of the alleged tombs of Cain and Abel?
6. What is ironic about the treatment of the young Indian man fleeing London's racism in Chapter 7?
7. What was Molesworth's attitude toward tourism?
8. What were Theroux's impressions of the Pakistani city of Peshawar?
9. Describe the special requirements and characteristics of the Sikh religion outlined by Theroux in Chapter 8.
10. Why had Sadik still not taken a pilgrimage to Mecca when he met Theroux in Chapter 4?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)