|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What famous military leader seized control of Bayezid in 1402?
(c) Genghis Khan.
(d) El Cid.
2. What term did the civil servant use to describe a holy man in Chapter 9?
3. How far does the train from Delhi to Madras travel?
(a) 1,400 miles.
(b) 1,000 miles.
(c) 2,000 miles.
(d) 2,500 miles.
4. How did Yashar describe his political leanings in Chapter 2?
(a) He's a Stalinist.
(b) He's a Trotskyite.
(c) He's a Marxist.
(d) He's a democratic socialist.
5. What author was Theroux reading at the end of Chapter 11?
Short Answer Questions
1. How high did the railway climb through the pass?
2. Where did Sadiq go to enjoy himself when not taking pilgrims to Mecca?
3. What poem did Molesworth quote while waiting for Yugoslav officials to look over passenger papers in Chapter 2?
4. What country did not have a single inch of railway track?
5. What religion was the ship's second mate who disliked Indians and Ceylonese?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the Ceylonese showing so much devotion to St. Jude?
2. Describe the special requirements and characteristics of the Sikh religion outlined by Theroux in Chapter 8.
3. Why had Sadik still not taken a pilgrimage to Mecca when he met Theroux in Chapter 4?
4. Describe the Afghan prison conditions mentioned by Mr. Haq in Chapter 6.
5. In Theroux's view, how did the strictures of Islam affect Pakistani men?
6. Describe the American hippies encountered by Theroux on the Turkish railway.
7. What is ironic about the treatment of the young Indian man fleeing London's racism in Chapter 7?
8. How had Afghanistan changed since the military coup of 1973?
9. Why was Theroux fascinated by the taxi driver's offer of a prostitute in the Bay of Bengal?
10. Why was Mr. Radia, with whom Theroux spoke in Chapter 10, so cynical about the English?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)