|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Duffill eating as the train entered the Alpine tunnel in Italy?
2. What university did the professor teach at in Chapter 11?
(a) Rajasthan Univesity.
(b) Delhi University.
(c) Jaipur University.
(d) Bhopal University.
3. What was the name of the city where one hippie was heading to join an ashram?
4. What religion was the ship's second mate who disliked Indians and Ceylonese?
5. What was the name of Gandhi's birthplace, visited by Theroux in Chapter 10?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the feast day of the saint to whom the Ceylonese were praying?
2. Why did the Ceylonese dynamite the coral reefs.
3. What country did not have a single inch of railway track?
4. Where did the Parsis place their dead?
5. What crop did the people of Pakhtoonistan hope to derive income from after declaring their independence from Pakistan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Theroux unwilling to explain his first impressions of India to Vishnua Bhardwaj, the Accountant General on the train to Simla?
2. Describe the special requirements and characteristics of the Sikh religion outlined by Theroux in Chapter 8.
3. Describe the Afghan prison conditions mentioned by Mr. Haq in Chapter 6.
4. Describe the city of Teheran as encountered by Theroux in Chapter 4.
5. Why had Sadik still not taken a pilgrimage to Mecca when he met Theroux in Chapter 4?
6. Why was the destruction of the coral reefs a perfect example of the improvidence of the Ceylonese?
7. Describe the Tamils as encountered by Theroux in Chapter 12.
8. How did Theroux describe the Australians he encountered on the trains?
9. What was the Indian professor's view of Mr. Gopal's ignorance?
10. What was Theroux's reaction to the German drug addict he met in India in Chapter 8?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)