|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What magazine did the CIA official tell Theroux he wrote for?
(a) Rolling Stone.
(b) Boys' Life.
(c) Field and Stream.
(d) Reader's Digest.
2. What "traditional Laotian handicrafts" were sold in Laos at the beginning of Chapter 20?
(a) Bathing suits.
3. What Sherlock Holmes story did Theroux allude to in Chapter 19?
(a) "The Red-Headed League."
(b) "A Study in Scarlet."
(c) "The Hound of the Baskervilles."
(d) "The Adventure of the Dancing Men."
4. Which religion's festival was banned in India?
5. Why did the train stop outside Nagoya?
(a) There was a fire on the track.
(b) The engine had problems.
(c) There was another train ahead.
(d) There were more passengers getting on.
6. What American play was banned under Thieu's regime?
(a) Our Town.
(b) The Glass Menagerie.
(c) A Streetcar Named Desire.
(d) Death of a Salesman.
7. What was bunraku?
(a) Pornographic theater.
(b) Comedy revue.
(c) Children's theater.
(d) Puppet theater.
8. What did Theroux witness the Japanese workers doing at the National Railways office?
(c) Tai Chi.
(d) Jumping jacks.
9. In what year was the Goktiek Viaduct built?
10. Where did the tattooed American think he needed to go to earn a lot of money?
(c) Hong Kong.
11. What Shakespeare play did Anne teach while living in Queenstown?
(b) Richard III.
(d) Julius Caesar.
12. What was the code name of Theroux's American host in Saigon?
(a) Buffalo One.
(b) Viper One.
(c) Cobra One.
(d) Eagle One.
13. How did Mr. Shigahara describe the Japanese' commitment to Buddhism?
(a) He said the Japanese viewed it as a foreign religion.
(b) He said they combined Buddhism with other religions.
(c) He said it was very superficial.
(d) He said the Japanese were very devout.
14. In what town did Theroux find cheap brothels and plentiful opium in Chapter 20?
(a) Kuala Lumpur.
(b) Nong Khai.
15. What was the Vietnamese woman doing with the half-American baby on the train through Vietnam?
(a) She was trying to get passage out of Vietnam.
(b) She was trying to give the baby to Theroux.
(c) She was a prostitute looking for work.
(d) She was trying to get money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animals scavenged food at the rail station in Toungoo in Chapter 17?
2. What kind of stories did Hirai Taro specialize in?
3. How often did Japanese workers receive a bonus?
4. What were the Thai children doing near the railroad tracks near Nong Khai Station?
5. To what American author did Theroux compare the Japanese writer, Hirai Taro?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)