|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was the official going through the train checking the IDs of civilian males?
(a) He was looking for South Vietnamese Army members.
(b) He was looking for Viet Cong members.
(c) He was looking for American citizens.
(d) He was looking for draft evaders.
2. What did Theroux write was the greatest tragedy of American involvement in Vietnam?
(a) That we had come in the first place.
(b) That we never planned to stay.
(c) That we had backed the wrong side.
(d) That we had stayed too long.
3. How many rooms were in Bernard's mansion?
4. How much did it cost to go to the Japanese bath?
(a) Twenty dollars.
(b) Ten dollars.
(c) Fifteen dollars.
(d) Thirty dollars.
5. What "traditional Laotian handicrafts" were sold in Laos at the beginning of Chapter 20?
(a) Bathing suits.
6. What city did Mr. Pensacola say had boring nightclubs?
(b) Washington, DC.
7. What American author did Professor Toyama claim enjoyed Kyoto?
(a) Tennessee Williams.
(b) William Faulkner.
(c) Eudora Welty.
(d) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
8. How did Mr. Shigahara describe the Japanese' commitment to Buddhism?
(a) He said the Japanese viewed it as a foreign religion.
(b) He said it was very superficial.
(c) He said they combined Buddhism with other religions.
(d) He said the Japanese were very devout.
9. What kind of architecture was the Kuala Lumpur rail station known for?
10. What did Theroux witness the Japanese workers doing at the National Railways office?
(b) Jumping jacks.
(c) Tai Chi.
11. What were the Buddhist monks doing when Theroux encountered them in Mandalay in Chapter 17?
(a) Offering prayers to travelers.
(c) Passing out flowers.
(d) Handing out religious tracts.
12. What interrupted Theroux's conversation at the Japanese National Railways office?
(a) Music over the loudspeakers.
(b) An emergency warning.
(c) Announcements over the loudspeakers.
(d) An argument among passengers.
13. What was the Vietnamese woman doing with the half-American baby on the train through Vietnam?
(a) She was a prostitute looking for work.
(b) She was trying to get passage out of Vietnam.
(c) She was trying to get money.
(d) She was trying to give the baby to Theroux.
14. In what year was the Goktiek Viaduct built?
15. According to Mr. Thanoo, what metal was mined in Thailand and Malaysia?
(b) Iron ore.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was bunraku?
2. What term described the total work stoppage organized by the Socialist Unity Centre in Chapter 16?
3. What happened when Theroux saw the drunk Japanese men in the bar in Osaka?
4. What Japanese city did Theroux decide he would never bother visiting again?
5. What Russian novel was Theroux reading in Chapter 21?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)