|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many rooms were in Bernard's mansion?
2. What were the Buddhist monks doing when Theroux encountered them in Mandalay in Chapter 17?
(a) Handing out religious tracts.
(b) Passing out flowers.
(c) Offering prayers to travelers.
3. Why were there so few skiers on the train to Sapporo?
(a) Because people did not have time off in December.
(b) Because Japanese don't ski.
(c) Because there was not enough snow.
(d) Because it was not yet officially skiing season.
4. Why was the official going through the train checking the IDs of civilian males?
(a) He was looking for South Vietnamese Army members.
(b) He was looking for Viet Cong members.
(c) He was looking for American citizens.
(d) He was looking for draft evaders.
5. What time did Theroux wake up at the station at the end of Chapter 21?
(a) Two a.m.
(c) Four a.m.
(d) One a.m.
6. What did the security officer note Theroux did not have when he claimed to be a tourist?
(b) A tourguide book.
(c) A passport.
(d) A camera.
7. What country's guidebook did Theroux purchase at the bookstore in Osaka?
8. How many deserters did Dial estimate remained in Vietnam?
(a) About 200.
(b) About 500.
(c) About 300.
(d) About 50.
9. What was unique about the prostitute picked up by the tattooed American?
(a) She was very old.
(b) She had tattoos all over her body.
(c) She was underage.
(d) She was actually a man.
10. What term described the total work stoppage organized by the Socialist Unity Centre in Chapter 16?
11. Why was William Clark so revered in Japan?
(a) He fought for the Japanese during World War II.
(b) He brought Christianity to Japan.
(c) He opened Japan to foreign trade.
(d) He started an agricultural college in Sapporo.
12. What American play was banned under Thieu's regime?
(a) The Glass Menagerie.
(b) Death of a Salesman.
(c) A Streetcar Named Desire.
(d) Our Town.
13. What was the common form of transportation in Calcutta described by Theroux in Chapter 16?
14. What did Theroux write the Japanese took perverse pride in?
(a) How hard they worked.
(b) How expensive their country was.
(c) How smoothly the trains ran.
(d) How small their families were.
15. Where were Ghosh and Rahman from?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mr. Thanoo, what metal was mined in Thailand and Malaysia?
2. What service was common for tourists in Bangkok?
3. What food item was placed on the bar in front of Theroux on the train to Kyoto?
4. What was the Vietnamese woman doing with the half-American baby on the train through Vietnam?
5. What was a rotan?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)