|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Shakespeare play did Anne teach while living in Queenstown?
(b) Julius Caesar.
(d) Richard III.
2. In what town did Theroux find cheap brothels and plentiful opium in Chapter 20?
(a) Nong Khai.
(d) Kuala Lumpur.
3. What interrupted Theroux's conversation at the Japanese National Railways office?
(a) Music over the loudspeakers.
(b) Announcements over the loudspeakers.
(c) An argument among passengers.
(d) An emergency warning.
4. What American play was banned under Thieu's regime?
(a) A Streetcar Named Desire.
(b) Our Town.
(c) The Glass Menagerie.
(d) Death of a Salesman.
5. How many feet did the train ascend before descending into the gorge in Chapter 19?
(a) 3,000 feet.
(b) 4,000 feet.
(c) 3,500 feet.
(d) 5,000 feet.
6. What was the approximate population of Bangladesh?
(a) 60 million.
(b) 100 million.
(c) 75 million.
(d) 85 million.
7. What was Theroux staring at for 15 minutes while at The Mess?
(a) A cat in the hallway.
(b) A gecko on the wall.
(c) A mouse on the floor.
(d) A bird outside the window.
8. What were workers in Singapore forbidden from doing?
(a) Working on Saturdays.
(c) Taking religious holidays off.
(d) Receiving overtime pay.
9. What American song was playing in a Burmese style aboard the train in Burma in Chapter 17?
(a) The Weight.
(b) Deep Purple.
(c) A Whiter Shade of Pale.
(d) Marrakesh Express.
10. What festival was being celebrated as Theroux arrived in Calcutta in Chapter 16?
11. Why were there so few skiers on the train to Sapporo?
(a) Because Japanese don't ski.
(b) Because there was not enough snow.
(c) Because it was not yet officially skiing season.
(d) Because people did not have time off in December.
12. What drug was the Burmese man using on the way to the viaduct?
13. What was unique about the prostitute picked up by the tattooed American?
(a) She was underage.
(b) She had tattoos all over her body.
(c) She was actually a man.
(d) She was very old.
14. How many Chinese were killed in the Malaysian riots referenced at the beginning of Chapter 22?
15. What did Theroux witness the Japanese workers doing at the National Railways office?
(a) Tai Chi.
(c) Jumping jacks.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did it cost to go to the Japanese bath?
2. What kind of architecture was the Kuala Lumpur rail station known for?
3. What Sherlock Holmes story did Theroux allude to in Chapter 19?
4. Where had the young man traveling to Bangkok sought romantic advice?
5. What time did Theroux wake up at the station at the end of Chapter 21?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)