|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the birthplace of the Indian who grew up in Britain and left because of racism?
2. In what year did Twain travel to India?
3. What was the translation of the Turkish dish imam bayildi?
(a) The imam laughed.
(b) The imam screamed.
(c) The imam died.
(d) The imam fainted.
4. What was the name of Gandhi's birthplace, visited by Theroux in Chapter 10?
5. How many tunnels went through the mountain pass?
6. What country did not have a single inch of railway track?
7. What was the approximate population of Ceylon at the time of Chapter 15?
(a) Seven million.
(b) Fifteen million.
(c) Twenty million.
(d) Twelve million.
8. On what Victoria station platform did Theroux depart on his trip?
9. How was the engineer preparing to convert to Islam?
(a) He was visiting mosques.
(b) He was reading the Koran.
(c) He was traveling to Mecca.
(d) He was attending a madrassa.
10. In Chapter 13, where was the unpleasant American monk originally from?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(b) New York City.
11. What was the topic of the three-day seminar attended by Theroux in Ceylon in Chapter 15?
(a) American history.
(b) British Literature.
(c) American literature.
(d) African literature.
12. How long was the trip to Lahore?
(a) Twenty hours.
(b) Twelve hours.
(c) Five hours.
(d) Fifteen hours.
13. Why was Theroux disappointed when the train arrived at Lake Van in Chapter 3?
(a) Swimming was not allowed at the beach.
(b) The train stopped for only a couple of minutes.
(c) Passengers were told they could not get off the train.
(d) It was after sunset, and he could not see anything.
14. At what French station did the train join the Orient Express?
(a) Gare du Sud.
(b) Gare de Lyon.
(c) Gare Centrale.
(d) Gare du Nord.
15. What was the feast day of the saint to whom the Ceylonese were praying?
(a) October 15.
(b) September 28.
(c) October 28.
(d) November 1.
Short Answer Questions
1. What railway line did Theroux grow up near?
2. Where did the Parsis place their dead?
3. What is the current name of Ceylon?
4. What did the English missionary in Madras claim other missionaries were doing?
5. What Dickens book was Theroux reading in Chapter 3?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)