|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What magazine was the elderly Indian man reading at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(b) Rolling Stone.
(c) Bollywood Today.
2. What religion was the ship's second mate who disliked Indians and Ceylonese?
3. What game did Theroux want to play at the Pakistani club in Chapter 7?
4. Who built the jail in Kabul in 1626?
(a) King Babar.
(b) Ahmad Khan.
(c) Genghis Khan.
5. To what Catholic saint were the Ceylonese praying in Chapter 14?
(a) St. Anthony.
(b) St. Patrick.
(c) St. Jude.
(d) St. Augustine.
6. What famous military leader seized control of Bayezid in 1402?
(b) Genghis Khan.
(d) El Cid.
7. What was on the marble slabs at the Galta temple entrance?
(a) A list of service times.
(b) A list of temple members.
(c) A list of religious beliefs.
(d) A list of prohibited activities.
8. How many tunnels went through the mountain pass?
9. What Mark Twain book did Theroux quote at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Following the Equator.
(b) A Tramp Abroad.
(c) The Innocents Abroad.
(d) The Tragedy of Pudd'nhead Wilson.
10. What Dickens book was Theroux reading in Chapter 3?
(a) A Tale of Two Cities.
(b) Bleak House.
(c) Oliver Twist.
(d) Little Dorrit.
11. Approximately how much did Theroux's meal cost on the train through France?
(a) Ten dollars.
(b) Eight dollars.
(c) Fifteen dollars.
(d) Five dollars.
12. What happened with the Orient Express when it went through the Alpine tunnel in Chapter 2?
(a) The train stopped.
(b) The train slowed down significantly.
(c) The train sped up.
(d) The lights went out.
13. What is the current name of Ceylon?
(c) Sri Lanka.
14. At what French station did the train join the Orient Express?
(a) Gare du Sud.
(b) Gare du Nord.
(c) Gare Centrale.
(d) Gare de Lyon.
15. What kind of jam did the Iranians eat that Theroux found disgusting?
(d) Sweet potato.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the birthplace of the Indian who grew up in Britain and left because of racism?
2. What Russian writer did Theroux read on the trip in Chapter 7?
3. How long before departure were VIP seats reserved on Indian trains?
4. What term did the Accountant General use when describing the people trying to cheat the government or seek bribes?
5. What new food had the Ceylonese begun planting because of their starvation?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)