|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was the Canadian couple going to Australia?
(a) They wanted to avoid Europeans.
(b) They did not want to learn German.
(c) They had relatives there.
(d) They did not want to learn French.
2. How far does the train from Delhi to Madras travel?
(a) 1,400 miles.
(b) 2,500 miles.
(c) 1,000 miles.
(d) 2,000 miles.
3. What poem did Molesworth quote while waiting for Yugoslav officials to look over passenger papers in Chapter 2?
(a) Slouching Towards Bethlehem.
(b) The Wasteland.
(c) The Faerie Queene.
4. What crop did the people of Pakhtoonistan hope to derive income from after declaring their independence from Pakistan?
(d) Dried fruit.
5. At what Italian station was Duffill left behind?
6. What religious figure was born in the town of Mathura?
(b) Lord Krishna.
(c) Gautama Buddha.
7. Why was Theroux unable to get food at Meshed in Chapter 5?
(a) Food was not allowed on the train.
(b) It was the Muslim fasting month of Ramadhan.
(c) The train did not stop long enough.
(d) He did not have enough money.
8. What railway line did Theroux grow up near?
(b) Boston and Maine.
(c) Central Pacific.
(d) Chesapeake and Ohio.
9. How long had the English engineer been staying in rural Iran when Theroux met him on the train in Chapter 5?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two months.
(c) Four months.
(d) One year.
10. What was the greatest annoyance during the afternoon ride to Rameswaram in Chapter 13?
(a) The train was crowded.
(b) They train stopped frequently.
(c) Smoke from the steam engine poured through the windows.
(d) There was no food available.
11. What religion was the ship's second mate who disliked Indians and Ceylonese?
12. How did Theroux know he had touched bottom while traveling by train?
(a) He was surrounded by locals.
(b) He was surrounded by Australians.
(c) He was surrounded by Americans.
(d) He was surrounded by hippies.
13. What Russian writer did Theroux read on the trip in Chapter 7?
14. What book was Theroux reading at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(b) The Autobiography of a Yogi.
(c) Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.
15. What drug was the German man addicted to in Chapter 8?
Short Answer Questions
1. To what did Theroux compare the forests of Madhya Pradesh?
2. Approximately how many of these animals did Theroux see?
3. Why was the cockney man going to Australia?
4. What does the surname Singh mean?
5. In what year did Twain travel to India?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)