|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 8, Theroux was told there was no train to which country?
2. Approximately how much did Theroux's meal cost on the train through France?
(a) Ten dollars.
(b) Eight dollars.
(c) Five dollars.
(d) Fifteen dollars.
3. Which Kipling book did Theroux refer to when describing Lahore?
(a) Gunga Din.
(b) Just-so Stories.
(d) The Jungle Book.
4. What Russian writer did Theroux read on the trip in Chapter 7?
5. How did the Tamils clean their teeth on the train in Chapter 12?
(a) With Western-style toothbrushes.
(b) With their fingers.
(c) With floss.
(d) With peeled green twigs.
6. Why was the cockney man going to Australia?
(a) There were too many Americans in London.
(b) There were too many blacks in London.
(c) There were too many Indians in London.
(d) There were too many Irish in London.
7. How long had the English engineer been staying in rural Iran when Theroux met him on the train in Chapter 5?
(a) Two months.
(b) One year.
(c) Six months.
(d) Four months.
8. What drug was the German man addicted to in Chapter 8?
9. To which country was Sadiq going to bring Turkish workers?
(a) West Germany.
(d) East Germany.
10. How did Theroux know he had touched bottom while traveling by train?
(a) He was surrounded by locals.
(b) He was surrounded by hippies.
(c) He was surrounded by Americans.
(d) He was surrounded by Australians.
11. To what Catholic saint were the Ceylonese praying in Chapter 14?
(a) St. Patrick.
(b) St. Anthony.
(c) St. Augustine.
(d) St. Jude.
12. Where did Sadiq go to enjoy himself when not taking pilgrims to Mecca?
(b) Tel Aviv.
13. What happened with the Orient Express when it went through the Alpine tunnel in Chapter 2?
(a) The train slowed down significantly.
(b) The lights went out.
(c) The train sped up.
(d) The train stopped.
14. What was the birthplace of the Indian who grew up in Britain and left because of racism?
15. What did one American take to deal with the Indian food and water?
Short Answer Questions
1. What country did not have a single inch of railway track?
2. At what Italian station was Duffill left behind?
3. What railway line did Theroux grow up near?
4. What magazine was the elderly Indian man reading at the beginning of Chapter 9?
5. What baseball player was the focus of articles in the English-language paper in Teheran?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)