|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What drug was the German man addicted to in Chapter 8?
2. What kind of jam did the Iranians eat that Theroux found disgusting?
(c) Sweet potato.
3. What crop did the people of Pakhtoonistan hope to derive income from after declaring their independence from Pakistan?
(c) Dried fruit.
4. How did the Tamils clean their teeth on the train in Chapter 12?
(a) With floss.
(b) With Western-style toothbrushes.
(c) With their fingers.
(d) With peeled green twigs.
5. What was the birthplace of the Indian who grew up in Britain and left because of racism?
6. Whose alleged grave site did Theroux visit in Ceylon?
(a) Mary and Joseph.
(c) Cain and Abel.
(d) Adam and Eve.
7. In Chapter 8, Theroux was told there was no train to which country?
8. At what French station did the train join the Orient Express?
(a) Gare de Lyon.
(b) Gare du Sud.
(c) Gare Centrale.
(d) Gare du Nord.
9. What happened with the Orient Express when it went through the Alpine tunnel in Chapter 2?
(a) The lights went out.
(b) The train sped up.
(c) The train slowed down significantly.
(d) The train stopped.
10. How was the engineer preparing to convert to Islam?
(a) He was reading the Koran.
(b) He was visiting mosques.
(c) He was attending a madrassa.
(d) He was traveling to Mecca.
11. How far does the train from Delhi to Madras travel?
(a) 2,500 miles.
(b) 2,000 miles.
(c) 1,000 miles.
(d) 1,400 miles.
12. What did one American take to deal with the Indian food and water?
13. To what Catholic saint were the Ceylonese praying in Chapter 14?
(a) St. Augustine.
(b) St. Patrick.
(c) St. Anthony.
(d) St. Jude.
14. What American author did Theroux mention in describing Indians in Chapter 9?
(a) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(b) Mark Twain.
(c) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(d) Bret Harte.
15. What does the surname Singh mean?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the mountain pass between Pakistan and Afghanistan?
2. What game did Theroux want to play at the Pakistani club in Chapter 7?
3. What was the feast day of the saint to whom the Ceylonese were praying?
4. To which country was Sadiq going to bring Turkish workers?
5. What was the topic of the three-day seminar attended by Theroux in Ceylon in Chapter 15?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)