|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the birthplace of the Indian who grew up in Britain and left because of racism?
2. What Mark Twain book did Theroux quote at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Following the Equator.
(b) The Innocents Abroad.
(c) A Tramp Abroad.
(d) The Tragedy of Pudd'nhead Wilson.
3. What American author did Theroux mention in describing Indians in Chapter 9?
(a) Bret Harte.
(b) Mark Twain.
(c) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(d) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
4. What was the feast day of the saint to whom the Ceylonese were praying?
(a) September 28.
(b) November 1.
(c) October 28.
(d) October 15.
5. What crop did the people of Pakhtoonistan hope to derive income from after declaring their independence from Pakistan?
(a) Dried fruit.
6. What poem did Molesworth quote while waiting for Yugoslav officials to look over passenger papers in Chapter 2?
(a) The Wasteland.
(c) The Faerie Queene.
(d) Slouching Towards Bethlehem.
7. Where did many of the dentists in Simla come from?
8. What was the translation of the Turkish dish imam bayildi?
(a) The imam laughed.
(b) The imam died.
(c) The imam screamed.
(d) The imam fainted.
9. How did Theroux know he had touched bottom while traveling by train?
(a) He was surrounded by hippies.
(b) He was surrounded by Americans.
(c) He was surrounded by Australians.
(d) He was surrounded by locals.
10. What was the approximate population of Ceylon at the time of Chapter 15?
(a) Twenty million.
(b) Fifteen million.
(c) Twelve million.
(d) Seven million.
11. Approximately how much did Theroux's meal cost on the train through France?
(a) Fifteen dollars.
(b) Ten dollars.
(c) Five dollars.
(d) Eight dollars.
12. Which faith is holy in the city of Amritsar?
13. Why was the cockney man going to Australia?
(a) There were too many Irish in London.
(b) There were too many Indians in London.
(c) There were too many blacks in London.
(d) There were too many Americans in London.
14. What was on the marble slabs at the Galta temple entrance?
(a) A list of religious beliefs.
(b) A list of prohibited activities.
(c) A list of service times.
(d) A list of temple members.
15. What was interesting about the blond Sadiq picked up at the bar in Istanbul?
(a) She was an undercover police officer.
(b) She was married.
(c) She was underage.
(d) She was actually a man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the current name of Ceylon?
2. What author was Theroux reading at the end of Chapter 11?
3. What Dickens book was Theroux reading in Chapter 3?
4. What religious figure was born in the town of Mathura?
5. How did Yashar describe his political leanings in Chapter 2?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)