|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 24 and 25, pp. 241-267.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the Buddhist monks doing when Theroux encountered them in Mandalay in Chapter 17?
(a) Passing out flowers.
(b) Offering prayers to travelers.
(c) Handing out religious tracts.
2. What American song was playing in a Burmese style aboard the train in Burma in Chapter 17?
(a) A Whiter Shade of Pale.
(b) The Weight.
(c) Marrakesh Express.
(d) Deep Purple.
3. How many people had been killed since the cease-fire (as of December 1973)?
4. What festival was being celebrated as Theroux arrived in Calcutta in Chapter 16?
5. What happened to the French-built Trans-Vietnam Railway six years after it was completed in the 1930s?
(a) It blew up.
(b) It burned down.
(c) It was seized by the government.
(d) It was damaged in an earthquake.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was the trip to Lahore?
2. Which faith is holy in the city of Amritsar?
3. What American play was banned under Thieu's regime?
4. In Chapter 8, Theroux was told there was no train to which country?
5. What term described the total work stoppage organized by the Socialist Unity Centre in Chapter 16?
This section contains 199 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)