Chapter 1 and 2, pp. 1-43
• Theroux embarked on a planned train journey through Asia, beginning in the city of London.
• Theroux encountered his first "character," a mysterious British man Duffill, who appeared to be hiding something.
• Theroux had conversations with interesting characters, including a Turkish writer with many contradictory political and social beliefs.
• Duffill missed the train in France while briefly disembarking at a stop and was never seen again.
Chapter 3 and 4, p. 44-65
• Theroux traveled by Turkish rail, where he encountered numerous American hippies on spiritual journeys through Asia.
• Theroux met Sadiq, a businessman with grand schemes, including bringing Muslims to Mecca for pilgrimage and bringing Turkish workers to Australia.
• Theroux observed the strict gender segregation and general lack of culture in Teheran, Iran.
Chapter 5 and 6, pp. 66-80
• An English businessman living in Iran lamented his inability to find a mate and talked about converting to Islam to...
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)