|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What style, perfect for piano, was invented in 1709 by Italian harpsichord-maker Bartolommeo Cristofori to play in salons?
2. What is the term used to describe an elegant drawing room used in formal receptions that is different in layout and size than a public hall or auditorium used for concerts?
3. Who held solo concerts in 1839 Rome?
4. What German composer and pianist is considered to have been the most crucial figure in the transitional period between the Classical and Romantic eras in Western classical music?
5. What German pianist, composer, piano teacher, and piano manufacturer was born in 1785?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relationship did Chopin share with Franz Liszt? How did they meet?
2. What was Thalsberg's career like? When did he retire?
3. Who was Louis Moreau Gottschalk and how did he represent American ideals in musical composition?
4. Describe the differences in piano manufacturing and their impact on piano music in Chapter VI, In the Interim. Where were pianos made?
5. How did musical styles evolve after the death of Bach? What is the definition of "contrapuntal style"?
6. How did Chopin feel about his contemporaries? Who did he consider the only two great composers?
7. Who held the first solo concerts of the romantic period? What were they like?
8. What students of Leschetizky are described in Chapter XXIII, Some of the Leschetizky Group?
9. What formal training did Ignacy Jan Paderewski receive and where?
10. How are Franz Liszt's fans described in Chapter X, Thunder, Lightning, Mesmerism, Sex? How did Liszt react to the public?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the pianist and conductor Hans von Bulow. How did he influence the German school of thought? What characteristics does the author make of the German style?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the biography and works of Ludwig van Beethoven. What advancements was Beethoven responsible for in the style and technique of piano and composition?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the biographies and works of Johann Hummel and Ignaz Moscheles. What does "bravura" style mean and who was known for it?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)