|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What musical instrument consists of one or more sets of pipes sounded by means of compressed air, played by means of one or more keyboards, and capable of producing a wide range of musical effects?
2. What nickname referred to Eugene d'Albert?
3. What son of a Hungarian official was born in 1811 became a priest in 1865 but had no authority to celebrate mass or hear confession?
4. When did Leopold de Meyer debut in America?
5. What is an English piano manufacturer founded in 1728 by Burkat Shudi and continued after his death in 1773?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Franz Liszt's fans described in Chapter X, Thunder, Lightning, Mesmerism, Sex? How did Liszt react to the public?
2. Who was Eugene d'Albert? What does the author write of his musical contributions?
3. Who was Clara Schumann? What was her musical contribution?
4. What four pianists are described in Chapter VII, From Ireland to Bohemia? Who is noted as the best of the group?
5. What musical figure is described in Chapter XXI, An Archangel Come Down to Earth? Whose student was he?
6. Who was Saint-Saens? What were his musical contributions?
7. How does the author describe the transition to concert hall? Who was among the first concert hall pianists?
8. What female students of Franz Liszt are described in Chapter XVII, The Children of the Abbe? What were their attributes?
9. How does the author describe Mozart's playing style in Chapter II, It Should Flow Like Oil?
10. When and where did piano playing arise in history? What instruments led up to the development of the piano?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When did the romantic upheaval take place in music and where? What world events led to the break with classicism? How is this transition defined in other art forms?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the style and works of Sigismond Thalberg. What was Thalberg's nickname and why? Who was his greatest rival?
Essay Topic 3
Define and describe the terms "fugue," "legato," and "style galant." How did these stylistic elements contribute to the changes from classicism to romanticism?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)