|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was considered Liszt's equal and a "living impersonation of Chopin"?
2. What was an ill-defined method of balanced playing where stronger emphasized notes were offset by lesser emphasized notes?
3. What pianist was born in April 28, 1873 in New Malden, Surrey, England?
4. What pianist never played in public but stayed in Vienna to teach pupils and compose over a thousand published works?
5. What musical term refers to playing notes of a chord one after another rather than at one time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author write about the style of early musical composition on the piano in the Preface? How did advancements take place?
2. How was Chopin related to romanticism? How does the author describe Chopin's appearance?
3. How does the author describe changes in playing techniques in Chapter VI, In the Interim? Who initiated these adaptations?
4. How does the author describe the transition to concert hall? Who was among the first concert hall pianists?
5. What musicians are described in Chapter XVI, Tyrant and Intellectual? Who established the German school?
6. Who was Louis Moreau Gottschalk and how did he represent American ideals in musical composition?
7. What students of Leschetizky are described in Chapter XXIII, Some of the Leschetizky Group?
8. Describe the differences in piano manufacturing and their impact on piano music in Chapter VI, In the Interim. Where were pianos made?
9. What historical period is related by the author in Chapter VI, In the Interim? Who instigated this transition?
10. When and where did piano playing arise in history? What instruments led up to the development of the piano?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When did the romantic upheaval take place in music and where? What world events led to the break with classicism? How is this transition defined in other art forms?
Essay Topic 2
How did the salon to the concert hall impact musicians, pianists, and composers? What differences are there between the two types of playing venues?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the style and works of Sigismond Thalberg. What was Thalberg's nickname and why? Who was his greatest rival?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)