|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Isaac Albeniz audition for in Budapest?
(a) Franz Liszt.
(b) Claude Debussy.
(c) Alexander Scriabin.
(d) Claudio Arrau.
2. Walter Gieseking played piano at what age?
3. Prokofieff, Rachmaninoff and Horowitz emigrated after the Russian Revolution of 1917 when who took control?
4. In what year was Maurizio Pollini born?
5. What school promoted musicianship, severity, strength and solidity rather than charm and sensuality?
(a) The German school.
(b) The Russian school.
(c) The British school.
(d) The French school.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Josef Hofmann make his Hamburg debut?
2. Who played difficult music fast and accurately but died in 1951 at the piano in Carnegie Hall?
3. What school did Isaac Albeniz attend at age 15?
4. When was Sergei Rachmaninoff born?
5. When did Harold Bauer make his American debut?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the impact of the Russian Revolution of 1917 on music?
2. What example is given to illustrate modernist principles with Josef Hofmann?
3. Describe Harold Bauer's American debut. What is noted of the pianist's style?
4. How does the author describe the correlation between pianists and composers in Chapter XXVI, Composers at the Keyboard?
5. Who was Vladimir de Pachmann? What was his expertise and namesake?
6. Compare the style and works of Busoni and Godowsky. How does the author relate their philosophical differences?
7. What advances in piano technique are described in Chapter XXXI, New Philosophies, New Styles? Where did they originate?
8. When did Josef Hofmann make his American debut? What toll did it take on him?
9. What Polish pianists are described in Chapter XXIV, The Chopinzee, the Buddha, and Others in addition to de Pachmann and Godowsky?
10. Who represented Schnabel's German/Austrian legacy in music? How is the German school described?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)