|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term refers to an individual who possesses outstanding technical ability in the fine arts, at singing or playing a musical instrument?
2. Who was described by the author as an incomparable pianist who added new theories and ideas about pedaling and sonority with new ideas of figuration and layout?
(a) Franz Liszt.
(b) Claudio Arrau.
(c) Claude Debussy.
(d) Alexander Scriabin.
3. What nickname did the pianist Vladimir de Pachmann acquire?
(b) "Brahma of the Keyboard."
(c) "The Little Giant."
(d) "The Maestro."
4. Under whom did Leopold Godowsky study for three years?
(a) Moriz Rosenthal.
(c) Alfred Grunfeld.
(d) Percy Grainger.
5. At what age did Glenn Gould begin playing piano?
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age did the musician Mischa Levitzski die?
2. What is the name of a performance hall in New York City where Paderewski made a debut in 1891 on his tour for the Steinway piano company?
3. What term is used to describe the late nineteenth and twentieth century disciplined style of piano playing in which the pianist reverts back to playing with strict adherence to composers' written musical note?
4. What musician debuted in 1906 America and amazed other pianists with his "quasi-glissando" that seemed impossible?
5. Whose powerful opening made orchestra conductor Eugen Pabst leave the podium to watch his hands and the "audience went wild"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What American pianists does Schonberg describe in Chapter XXXVIII, Made in America?
2. Who was Harold Bauer? Describe the Bauer's early career.
3. Who was Artur Schnabel and what was his expertise in music? How is Schnabel described?
4. How does the author describe the correlation between pianists and composers in Chapter XXVI, Composers at the Keyboard?
5. Who were the forerunners of modernism? How did modernism differ from romanticism?
6. When did Josef Hofmann make his American debut? What toll did it take on him?
7. How are Alfred Brendel and Maurizio Pollini described in Chapter XXXVII, Two Cult Figures?
8. Compare the style and works of Busoni and Godowsky. How does the author relate their philosophical differences?
9. What Polish pianists are described in Chapter XXIV, The Chopinzee, the Buddha, and Others in addition to de Pachmann and Godowsky?
10. What nickname did Leopold Godowsky earn? Why?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)