|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Josef Hofmann born?
(b) Great Britain.
(d) The United States.
2. Under whom did Leopold Godowsky study for three years?
(a) Moriz Rosenthal.
(b) Percy Grainger.
(d) Alfred Grunfeld.
3. What musician debuted in 1906 America and amazed other pianists with his "quasi-glissando" that seemed impossible?
(a) Josef Lhevinne.
(b) Mischa Levitzski.
(c) Simon Barrere.
(d) Claude Debussy.
4. How old was Isaac Albeniz when his father allowed him to go to New York?
5. How old was Josef Hofmann when he gave his debut recital?
Short Answer Questions
1. Ernest Hutcheson became president of what school of music?
2. In what year did Glenn Gould retire?
3. What nickname did the pianist Leopold Godowsky go by?
4. Where was the pianist Ernest Hutcheson from?
5. With whom did Arthur Rubinstein share an uneasy friendship but recognized each other's strengths?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Harold Bauer's American debut. What is noted of the pianist's style?
2. Who was Isaac Albeniz? Describe his early career.
3. What example is given to illustrate modernist principles with Josef Hofmann?
4. What was the critical and public response to Busoni's performances?
5. What advances in piano technique are described in Chapter XXXI, New Philosophies, New Styles? Where did they originate?
6. Who were the forerunners of modernism? How did modernism differ from romanticism?
7. When did Josef Hofmann make his American debut? What toll did it take on him?
8. Compare the style and works of Busoni and Godowsky. How does the author relate their philosophical differences?
9. How did Vladimir Horowitz's piano career begin? What was the public reaction to the pianist?
10. How does the author describe the correlation between pianists and composers in Chapter XXVI, Composers at the Keyboard?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)