|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term refers to a group of eight interrelated notes?
2. Paderewski did not receive systematic instruction until what age?
3. When did Leopold de Meyer debut in America?
4. Under whom did Ignacy Jan Paderewski study piano?
(a) Ludwig van Beethoven.
(b) Eugene d'Albert.
(c) Bartolommeo Cristofori.
(d) Theodor Leschetizky.
5. What musical term refers to playing notes of a chord one after another rather than at one time?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Johann Hummel born?
2. Who was the rival of Franz Liszt?
3. What pianist performed at four and memorized and played all the Beethoven symphonies at eight on piano?
4. What Polish student of Franz Liszt amazed fellow pianists with his speed, power and endurance?
5. How old was Anton Rubinstein when he debuted?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe Mozart's playing style in Chapter II, It Should Flow Like Oil?
2. Describe the early life and career of Mozart. How old was he when he first performed musically?
3. What formal training did Ignacy Jan Paderewski receive and where?
4. How was Chopin related to romanticism? How does the author describe Chopin's appearance?
5. What students of Leschetizky are described in Chapter XXIII, Some of the Leschetizky Group?
6. Describe the differences in piano manufacturing and their impact on piano music in Chapter VI, In the Interim. Where were pianos made?
7. What female students of Franz Liszt are described in Chapter XVII, The Children of the Abbe? What were their attributes?
8. Who held the first solo concerts of the romantic period? What were they like?
9. When did the romantic upheaval take place in music? Who were its forerunners?
10. Who were the great models of piano and composition teaching in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries? How was their style defined?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)