|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What son of a Hungarian official was born in 1811 became a priest in 1865 but had no authority to celebrate mass or hear confession?
(a) Sigismond Thalberg.
(b) Adolf von Henselt.
(c) Friedrich Chopin.
(d) Franz Liszt.
2. What is the term used to describe an elegant drawing room used in formal receptions that is different in layout and size than a public hall or auditorium used for concerts?
3. Who was considered Liszt's equal and a "living impersonation of Chopin"?
(a) Franz Liszt.
(b) Louis Moreau Gottschalk.
(c) Hans von Bulow.
(d) Carl Tausig.
4. Where did Frédéric Chopin die?
5. What musician helped establish the German school and played clearly, analytically, and precisely with authority?
(a) Louis Moreau Gottschalk.
(b) Felix Mendelssohn.
(c) Clara Schumann.
(d) Hans von Bulow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the rival of Franz Liszt?
2. What pianist performed at four and memorized and played all the Beethoven symphonies at eight on piano?
3. What pianist was born November 14, 1778, in Bohemia?
4. What is a term used to describe various tools invented to help young piano students learn and practice that included a chiroplast, guide-mains, dactylion to suspend fingers on springs, pocket hand exerciser, and technicon among others that promised perfection with less work?
5. What is an English piano manufacturer founded in 1728 by Burkat Shudi and continued after his death in 1773?
Short Essay Questions
1. What four pianists are described in Chapter VII, From Ireland to Bohemia? Who is noted as the best of the group?
2. How was Chopin related to romanticism? How does the author describe Chopin's appearance?
3. Who were the great models of piano and composition teaching in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries? How was their style defined?
4. Who was Saint-Saens? What were his musical contributions?
5. What female students of Franz Liszt are described in Chapter XVII, The Children of the Abbe? What were their attributes?
6. Who are the musicians described in Chapter XIII, Two Sensitive Ones? When did they live?
7. How did Chopin feel about his contemporaries? Who did he consider the only two great composers?
8. Describe the differences in piano manufacturing and their impact on piano music in Chapter VI, In the Interim. Where were pianos made?
9. What musical figure is described in Chapter XXI, An Archangel Come Down to Earth? Whose student was he?
10. What relationship did Chopin share with Franz Liszt? How did they meet?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)