|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose powerful opening made orchestra conductor Eugen Pabst leave the podium to watch his hands and the "audience went wild"?
(a) Arthur Rubinstein.
(b) Vladimir Horowitz.
(c) Claude Debussy.
(d) David Tudor.
2. In what year did Glenn Gould retire?
3. Vladimir de Pachmann dressed in a smelly, old gown he claimed was whose?
(a) Emil von Sauer's.
4. Who sought ideal music he could play and compose and eventually settled on Mozart's twelve piano concertos at farewell concerts in 1922?
(a) Franz Liszt.
(b) Claude Debussy.
(c) Ferruccio Busoni.
(d) Claudio Arrau.
5. How old was Isaac Albeniz when his father allowed him to go to New York?
6. How old was Wilhelm Backhaus when he made his first concert tour?
7. What nickname did the pianist Leopold Godowsky go by?
(b) "The Little Giant."
(c) "The Piano God."
(d) "Brahma of the Keyboard."
8. When did Josef Hofmann make his Hamburg debut?
9. What term is used to describe the late nineteenth and twentieth century disciplined style of piano playing in which the pianist reverts back to playing with strict adherence to composers' written musical note?
10. When did pianist Arthur Rubinstein make his American debut?
11. At what age did Glenn Gould begin playing piano?
12. Who won the Leventritt competition in 1954, but his victory at the Moscow Tchaikovsky Competition in 1958 made his name and musical competition well-known?
(a) Van Cliburn.
13. When did Josef Hofmann make his American debut?
14. When was Sergei Rachmaninoff born?
15. Where was Alfred Brendel born?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Josef Hofmann play 255 different works in twenty-one concerts without repeating any?
2. At what age did Isaac Albeniz hide on a ship crossing the Atlantic to Puerto Rico and play in his French musketeer costume for passengers?
3. What refers to an instrumental musical composition usually designed to provide practice material for perfecting a particular technical skill?
4. Where was the musician Glenn Gould from?
5. What school promoted musicianship, severity, strength and solidity rather than charm and sensuality?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)