|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters XI through XIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a term used to describe various tools invented to help young piano students learn and practice that included a chiroplast, guide-mains, dactylion to suspend fingers on springs, pocket hand exerciser, and technicon among others that promised perfection with less work?
(a) Devices and mechanisms.
(b) Etude and arpeggio.
(c) Etudes and scales.
(d) Legato and stacatto.
2. What term is used to describe a form of playing that means connected consecutive notes without audible separation compared to staccato playing with distinct breaks between consecutive notes?
3. What term refers to a form of music also called counterpoint in which several simultaneous melodies are woven together into a harmonious whole that was fostered by Johann Sebastian Bach?
(a) Contrapuntal style.
4. In what year did Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart die?
5. What is the term used to describe an elegant drawing room used in formal receptions that is different in layout and size than a public hall or auditorium used for concerts?
Short Answer Questions
1. What Irish pianist, composer, and teacher was born in Dublin in 1782?
2. Two Hungarian countesses wrestled to the ground over what object belonging to Franz Liszt?
3. Chopin introduced changes in fingering and what that remained stylish into the next century?
4. What German pianist, composer, piano teacher, and piano manufacturer was born in 1785?
5. Where was Franz Liszt musical director and the location of the headquarters for "Music of the Future"?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)