|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author states in Chapter 21 that the process of inflammation involves the release by certain white blood cells of proteins that are called what?
2. How many troops did Camp Pike house in 1918?
3. When was the great Liberty Loan parade held in Philadelphia, infecting many with the 1918 flu?
(a) March 12, 1918.
(b) September 28, 1918.
(c) October 1, 1918.
(d) October 24, 1918.
4. On the day that the first Camp Grant soldier died, how many troops boarded a train from Camp Grant for Camp Hancock?
5. Where was Camp Upton located in 1918?
(a) Missoula, Montana.
(b) Greensville, Tennessee.
(c) Long Island, New York.
(d) Clark, Texas.
6. What does the author say the incubation period of influenza is in Chapter 17?
(a) 12-24 hours.
(b) 24-72 hours.
(c) 24 hours.
(d) 24-26 hours.
7. Where was Camp Pike located at the time of the pandemic?
8. Who was the dierector of the Public Health Service's Hygenic Laboratory in 1918?
(a) Louis Howe.
(b) Elias Canetti.
(c) George McCoy.
(d) Samuel Tilden.
9. What is the title of Part 7 of the book?
(a) "The Race."
(b) "The Pestilence."
(d) "The Warriors."
10. When did the U.S. enter into World War I?
(a) April, 1916.
(b) April, 1917.
(c) September, 1917.
(d) June, 1918.
11. How many civilians were admitted to Philadelphia hospitals on September 27, 1918 suffering from influenza?
12. What symptom of the 1918 flu refers to a bluish discoloration of the skin resulting from poor circulation or inadequate oxygenation of the blood?
(d) Passive immunity.
13. Near what town was Camp Custer located in the fall of 1918?
(a) Malvern, Pennsylvania.
(b) Roarke, New York.
(c) Battle Creek, Michigan.
(d) Augusta, Georgia.
14. Camp Grant was located along what river?
(a) The Hudson River.
(b) The Trinity River.
(c) The Rock River.
(d) The Shasta River.
15. When did Provost Marshal Enoch Crowder issue his "work or fight" order?
(a) May 23, 1918.
(b) March 23, 1917.
(c) March 1, 1919.
(d) April 2, 1918.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Paul Lewis complete his medical training at Penn?
2. Outside of what city was Camp Grant located, according to the author in Chapter 18?
3. Who is the great French physiologist who is quoted in Chapter 22 as saying "Science teaches us to doubt" (274)?
4. What sentence was socialist Eugene Debs given for opposing the war then the U.S. entered it?
5. How many sailors arrived from Boston at the Philadelphia Navy Yard on September 7, 1918?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)