|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Gatsby picture himself when he is 17-years old?
2. Whom does Gatsby call to play the piano for Daisy and Nick?
3. What were two of Gatsby’s jobs after he left his parent’s home?
4. How long did it take Gatsby to earn enough money to buy his mansion?
5. What request does Nick make of Daisy when he asks her to tea?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Daisy do during her tea party after she sends Tom out of the room to make drinks?
2. What is Gatsby’s reply when Daisy asks him how he lives in such a large house all alone?
3. When Nick returns to his house after meeting with Jordan, why does he think his house is on fire?
4. When Gatsby tells Nick that Daisy does not understand him the way she used to, what is Nick’s reply?
5. As time passes while Gatsby is attending Oxford, what does Daisy do?
6. How does Mrs. Wilson get hit by Gatsby’s car and killed?
7. What does Nick say to Gatsby as he is leaving him for the last time?
8. What is the significance of the green light at the end of Daisy’s dock?
9. The morning after Mrs. Wilson’s death, why does Nick jump out of bed and go over to Gatsby’s when he hears a taxi pull into Gatsby’s driveway?
10. Why does Nick tell Gatsby that he is being rude during the tea with Daisy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the message Fitzgerald is trying to convey about the materialism of the wealthy and privileged in the novel? Does he depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the wealthy characters in the novel? Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain. How do the characters convey their everyday struggles of a life filled with money?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the complex irony in the circumstances surrounding the death of Jay Gatsby. Describe this irony as it relates to Tom and Daisy, Mr. Wilson and Gatsby’s military career. How important is irony to the final events of the story?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of Appearance and Reality is constant throughout the novel. Analyze the lives of Gatsby, Tom, and Daisy with regard to appearances and reality. Explain how each characters’ outward actions hides the reality behind their superficiality. Contrast the superficial lives of these characters with the honesty of Nick Carraway.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)