|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nick imagine Gatsby’s reaction is to not receiving a message from Daisy?
2. What item does Wilson find wrapped up in the drawer that upsets him?
3. What rumor does the New York reporter reveal about Gatsby?
4. How has Gatsby’s life been during the years he has been away from Daisy?
5. What does Nick tell Gatsby when Gatsby talks about his past with Daisy?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Nick returns to his house after meeting with Jordan, why does he think his house is on fire?
2. In Chapter 7, why does Nick go over to Gatsby’s mansion to see if Gatsby is sick?
3. How did Dan Cody thank Gatsby for warning him about the storm?
4. The morning after Mrs. Wilson’s death, why does Nick jump out of bed and go over to Gatsby’s when he hears a taxi pull into Gatsby’s driveway?
5. What is the significance of the green light at the end of Daisy’s dock?
6. Why does Mr. Wilson want to buy Tom’s car?
7. Why is Gatsby in a hurry to get home to New York while he is at Oxford?
8. What does Gatsby discover about Daisy when he returns home from Oxford?
9. What happened to Gatsby’s mind the first time he kissed Daisy?
10. What are the three stages of emotion Gatsby experiences on the night he meets Daisy again for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Summarize how F. Scott Fitzgerald uses local color and imagery to describe Gatsby’s mansion. Cite descriptive examples of rooms, décor, landscaping, and his view of the harbor. Does the imagery Fitzgerald uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the mansion and the surrounding landscape?
Essay Topic 2
Describe as fully as possible the lives of Mr. and Mrs. Wilson. How does the past influence their present actions? Compare and contrast their attitudes on marriage and money. Give examples from the story of how they interact with each other.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of Appearance and Reality is constant throughout the novel. Analyze the lives of Gatsby, Tom, and Daisy with regard to appearances and reality. Explain how each characters’ outward actions hides the reality behind their superficiality. Contrast the superficial lives of these characters with the honesty of Nick Carraway.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)