|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Daisy’s emotional state as the day goes on?
2. How does Gatsby amuse himself as he waits for Daisy’s call?
3. How does Gatsby meet Dan Cody?
4. How long are Daisy and Gatsby in love before he goes off to war?
5. What is Gatsby’s answer when Tom asks him when he went to Oxford?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Wilson want to buy Tom’s car?
2. Why is Tom feeling panicked as he and Nick drive away from Wilson’s garage in Chapter 7?
3. How does Mrs. Wilson get hit by Gatsby’s car and killed?
4. When Daisy, Tom, Jordan, Gatsby and Nick go to the Plaza Hotel after Daisy’s tea party, what confrontation takes place between Gatsby and Tom?
5. What does Daisy do during her tea party after she sends Tom out of the room to make drinks?
6. Why does Nick tell Gatsby that he is being rude during the tea with Daisy?
7. What does Gatsby discover about Daisy when he returns home from Oxford?
8. What is the significance of the green light at the end of Daisy’s dock?
9. The morning after Mrs. Wilson’s death, why does Nick jump out of bed and go over to Gatsby’s when he hears a taxi pull into Gatsby’s driveway?
10. When Nick returns to his house after meeting with Jordan, why does he think his house is on fire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in the novel experience culture clash as they interact with one another. Describe the culture clash between the Wilsons, the Buchanans, Jay Gatsby, James Gatz, and Nick. How is the clash evident throughout the novel and what are the results of this culture clash?
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Eckleburg’s billboard watches over the “valley of ashes.” How do Dr. Eckleburg’s watchful eyes condemn the morally corrupt lives of the spiritually barren and overindulgent characters in the novel? Compare the “valley of ashes” to the lives of these materialistic characters.
Essay Topic 3
Many parts of the novel take place in the past. Cite instances from the past that enhance the character’s present actions. Interpret Nick’s view of the past when he says that the past cannot be repeated. Cite examples from the novel where Nick’s assessment is true.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)