|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Wilson’s reaction when Mrs. McKee compliments her dress?
2. What arrives from New York to Gatsby’s house every Friday?
3. Why does Gatsby buy his mansion on the bay?
4. What does Nick realize about Jordan’s personality the more he sees her?
5. What are Mr. Wolfsheim’s cufflinks made of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are three of the stories Nick hears about Gatsby’s past while he is at Gatsby’s mansion?
2. What does the man with the owl eyes reveal to Nick and Jordan when they meet him in Gatsby’s library?
3. What does Jordan Baker say about the phone call Tom receives during dinner?
4. What do Nick and Gatsby talk about the first time they meet at Gatsby’s party?
5. What does the narrator, Nick Carraway, reveal in the first chapter about how he judges other people?
6. Why is it unusual that Nick was personally invited to one of Gatsby’s parties?
7. Why did Gatsby buy his house in West Egg?
8. Describe why Nick likes life in New York.
9. Where did Nick Carraway attend college and what profession does he plan to pursue?
10. What does Gatsby tell Nick about Meyer Wolfsheim when they have lunch together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the novel. Choose three events from the story that cause change in Gatsby’s life. How does Gatsby react to the events and their effects? How does he change emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward Daisy?
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes in the novel is the pursuit of the American Dream. Explain the similarities and differences in how Daisy, Nick, Tom and Gatsby try to achieve their individual version of the American Dream. Which of the characters was the most successful in achieving the American Dream? Explain your view.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Gatsby’s coming of age throughout the novel. What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows from a boy in North Dakota, a teenager, a soldier and a successful adult? How do his attitudes change as he develops from a young boy into a young man? Cite examples of the character changes Gatsby experiences from each stage of his life.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)