|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gatsby tell Nick is one of his family’s traditions?
2. What comment does the stout, middle-aged man that Nick and Jordan meet in the library say about Gatsby’s books?
3. What arrives from New York to Gatsby’s house every Friday?
4. What does Nick think the young Englishmen at Gatsby’s party are selling?
5. What is Mrs. Wilson’s reaction when Mrs. McKee compliments her dress?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Catherine’s opinion of Tom’s and Myrtle’s marriages?
2. Where does Nick Carraway move to when he finds a job in his chosen profession?
3. What does Gatsby tell Nick about his life as they drive to lunch?
4. Describe why Nick likes life in New York.
5. What do Nick and Gatsby talk about the first time they meet at Gatsby’s party?
6. What are three of the stories Nick hears about Gatsby’s past while he is at Gatsby’s mansion?
7. How does Nick describe the Valley of Ashes?
8. What fascinates Nick on summer nights as he looks across at Gatsby’s mansion?
9. What does Gatsby tell Nick about Meyer Wolfsheim when they have lunch together?
10. Why is it unusual that Nick was personally invited to one of Gatsby’s parties?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe as fully as possible the lives of Mr. and Mrs. Wilson. How does the past influence their present actions? Compare and contrast their attitudes on marriage and money. Give examples from the story of how they interact with each other.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the main characters in the novel. Explain the metamorphosis each character experiences in the final three chapters. Describe how Nick’s words ” So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”, relate to Jay Gatsby, Daisy, Tom, and Nick.
Essay Topic 3
The character of Jay Gatsby consists of many contradictions. Discuss these contradictions with regard to the guests who come to his parties, his family in North Dakota, his lifestyle while employed by Dan Cody and his attitude toward women.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)