|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Nick feel as he walks among the affluent guests at Gatsby’s mansion?
(b) Right at home.
(c) Ill at ease.
(d) Annoyed at the visiting Englishmen.
2. What gossip does Miss Baker share with Nick when Daisy leaves the room?
(a) Daisy has a boyfriend in New York.
(b) Tom lost his job.
(c) Tom has a mistress in New York.
(d) Daisy is pregnant.
3. What tumultuous event happens not far from Gatsby’s mansion after the party?
(a) One of the guests gets hit by a car.
(b) One of the guests is in a car accident.
(c) One of the guests is robbed.
(d) Two of the guests start fighting.
4. What does Gatsby tell Nick about his time in the war?
(a) He did not see any action.
(b) He was afraid most of the time.
(c) He tried hard to die.
(d) He was never promoted.
5. Which previous acquaintance does Nick meet as he searches the mansion for Gatsby?
(d) Jordan Baker.
6. What does Gatsby tell Nick is one of his family’s traditions?
(a) To be educated at Yale
(b) To be educated at Oxford
(c) To be educated at Purdue
(d) To be educated at Harvard
7. What do the young ladies at Gatsby’s lawn party speculate about his line of work?
(a) He is a bootlegger.
(b) He is a banker.
(c) He is a gigolo.
(d) He invests in bonds.
8. What are Mr. Wolfsheim’s cufflinks made of?
(a) Human molars.
(b) Whale’s bone.
(c) Walrus tusks.
(d) Shark’s teeth.
9. What view does the narrator have from his new home?
(a) City lights and traffic.
(b) A wharf with fishing boats coming and going.
(c) An elementary school and a bus stop.
(d) The water, his neighbor’s lawn and the mansions of millionaires.
10. How does Nick describe Mrs. Wilson?
(a) Thin and attractive.
(b) Shapely but plain.
(c) Overweight and homely.
(d) Stout and sensuous.
11. How does the narrator describe his cousin’s face?
(b) Sad and lovely.
(c) Aged and lonely.
(d) Happy and bright.
12. What is Tom’s response when Nick asks if Mr. Wilson objects to Tom seeing Mrs. Wilson?
(a) Her husband is too dumb to even know she is alive.
(b) Her husband has his own mistress.
(c) Her husband does not care what she does.
(d) Her husband has an open mind.
13. What do the two girls in yellow say to Jordan when they see her at Gatsby’s party?
(a) They say that they are sorry she did not win her golf tournament.
(b) They ask her to introduce them to Nick.
(c) They tell her that she looks stunning.
(d) They congratulate her for winning the golf tournament.
14. Who was the man that stayed over at Gatsby’s so often that he became known as “the boarder”?
15. What does Nick realize as Gatsby continues telling him about his past?
(a) Gatsby has an interesting past.
(b) Gatsby is lying.
(c) Gatsby is being truthful.
(d) Gatsby’s life is boring.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nick first meet Tom’s girlfriend?
2. Which of the following best describes Myrtle’s sister?
3. What does Nick call the desolate area where the road meets the railroad and is located between West Egg and New York?
4. How can Nick tell that Gatsby sufferes from restlessness?
5. What is Mrs. Wilson’s reaction when Mrs. McKee compliments her dress?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)