|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator describe his cousin’s face?
(a) Sad and lovely.
(b) Happy and bright.
(d) Aged and lonely.
2. What arrives from New York to Gatsby’s house every Friday?
(a) Five crates of bananas and oranges.
(b) Five crates of apples and pears.
(c) Five crates of bananas and limes.
(d) Five crates of oranges and lemons.
3. What is the first thing Nick does when he arrives at Gatsby’s party?
(a) Tries to find his host.
(b) Tries to find Daisy.
(c) Goes to the buffet table.
(d) Goes to the bar.
4. What is Gatsby doing the first time Nick sees him?
(a) Looking up at the stars and trembling.
(b) Drinking brandy on his front lawn.
(c) Strolling arm-in-arm with a young lady.
(d) Driving his sports car.
5. What is one of the rumors about Gatsby that his guests talk about?
(a) He once killed someone.
(b) He dislikes children.
(c) He had a nervous breakdown.
(d) He has a secret wife.
6. What is the name of the young soldier Daisy dated in 1917?
(a) Tom Buchanan.
(b) Jay Gatsby.
(c) Cecil Roebuck.
(d) Nick Carraway.
7. Who is Jordan’s escort to Gatsby’s party?
(a) A golf champion.
(b) A college professor.
(c) A banker.
(d) A persistent undergraduate.
8. When Lucille tears her dress at one of Gatsby’s parties, what does he do?
(a) Tells her she is to blame.
(b) Gives her his sweater to wear.
(c) Tells her he is not responsible.
(d) Buys her a new dress.
9. Who was the man that stayed over at Gatsby’s so often that he became known as “the boarder”?
10. Which of the following best describes Myrtle’s sister?
(a) Obese and sweaty.
(b) Thin and sickly.
(c) Slender and worldly.
(d) Slender and naive.
11. What quality does the narrator give to Gatsby as he describes the man?
(a) Something evil about him.
(b) Something sinister about him.
(c) Something ethereal about him.
(d) Something gorgeous about him.
12. When the narrator returns from the East, what does he hope not to see again?
(a) City lights.
(b) Glimpses into the human heart.
(d) The sea.
13. What object does Nick remind Daisy of?
(a) A rose.
(c) Granite slab.
(d) Petrified wood.
14. What does Catherine confide to Nick regarding Myrtle and Tom?
(a) They should stop seeing one another.
(b) They should continue their current arrangement.
(c) They should be ashamed of their unfaithfulness.
(d) They should get married.
15. What does Nick think the young Englishmen at Gatsby’s party are selling?
(a) Insurance, jewelry or gold bricks.
(b) Bonds, real estate or automobiles.
(c) Real estate, insurance or clothing.
(d) Bonds, insurance or automobiles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gatsby buy his mansion on the bay?
2. Where does Nick first meet Tom’s girlfriend?
3. What does Gatsby’s luncheon guest reveal about an event that took place at the Metropole?
4. What type of house do the narrator’s old friends live in?
5. Why does Nick look familiar to Gatsby?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)