|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nick observe from his home as he gazes at Mr. Gatsby’s mansion during summer days?
(a) A few guests strolling in the garden.
(b) Guests swimming, boating and sunning.
(c) Mr. Gatsby on his beach alone.
(d) Mr. Gatsby reading quietly.
2. What advice did the narrator’s father give him when he was a child that he still remembers as an adult?
(a) Always criticize people who make ignorant comments.
(b) Criticize people that do not live up to your expectations.
(c) Think before criticizing people because many have not had the advantages you have.
(d) Only criticize people who are below your station in life.
3. What is one of the rumors about Gatsby that his guests talk about?
(a) He has a secret wife.
(b) He had a nervous breakdown.
(c) He dislikes children.
(d) He once killed someone.
4. How do Tom’s acquaintances feel about him bringing a mistress to popular restaurants?
5. What is Daisy’s reaction when she hears that she gave birth to a little girl?
(a) She says it is the happiest day of her life.
(b) She cries and says that she hopes her baby grows up to be a fool.
(c) She says that she knows her baby will grow up to be brilliant.
(d) She claps her hands with joy.
6. How does Nick feel as he walks among the affluent guests at Gatsby’s mansion?
(a) Annoyed at the visiting Englishmen.
(b) Right at home.
(c) Ill at ease.
7. What brings Nick to Mr. Gatsby’s mansion for the first time?
(a) Nick receives and invitation in the mail.
(b) One of Mr. Gatsby’s maids delivers an invitation.
(c) Mr. Gatsby comes to Nick’s door to invite him.
(d) The chauffeur hands Nick a handwritten invitation.
8. What does Gatsby want Jordan Baker to ask Nick?
(a) To invite Daisy and Gatsby to dinner.
(b) To tell Gatsby what Nick thinks of him.
(c) To invite Tom and Gatsby to dinner.
(d) To have a picnic with Gatsby and Jordan.
9. Where did Mr. McKee take the two photographs displayed in the downstairs apartment?
(b) New York City.
(c) Long Island.
(d) San Francisco.
10. Where does Catherine tell Nick that Mr. Gatsby acquired his wealth?
(a) Oil investments.
(b) His father.
(d) Kaiser Wilhelm.
11. What is Myrtle’s opinion of her servants?
(a) They are trustworthy people.
(b) She is grateful to have them.
(c) She has to keep after them all the time.
(d) They are hard workers.
12. Which of the following best describes Myrtle’s sister?
(a) Slender and worldly.
(b) Obese and sweaty.
(c) Thin and sickly.
(d) Slender and naive.
13. What does Catherine confide to Nick regarding Myrtle and Tom?
(a) They should be ashamed of their unfaithfulness.
(b) They should get married.
(c) They should continue their current arrangement.
(d) They should stop seeing one another.
14. How does the narrator describe Tom Buchanan’s body?
(a) A cruel body.
15. What is Mrs. Wilson’s reaction when Mrs. McKee compliments her dress?
Short Answer Questions
1. What tumultuous event happens not far from Gatsby’s mansion after the party?
2. How does Catherine feel about Gatsby?
3. How can Nick tell that Gatsby sufferes from restlessness?
4. How does the narrator describe his cousin’s face?
5. What is Tom’s response when Nick asks if Mr. Wilson objects to Tom seeing Mrs. Wilson?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)